PDA

View Full Version : DD Hammocks

glennyb25
21-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Took delivery of a few bits from DD hammocks a few days ago. Nice prompt service and even though I messed up the ordering a bit they responded to my change straight away and still delivered the next day. First class service.

Managed to get out today in not so Sunny Essex and test the kit out. Didnt have too much time in the end but managed to get the Tarp and Hammock up to try out quickly.

Cheers

Ashley Cawley
21-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. Yeah I've experienced good service from DD also.

It looks like you might want to pull your webbing a bit tighter to have less of a sag. Keep us updated on how you get on, don't forget if you plan on using it in wet weather it's worth doing the Karabiner Hammock MOD (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?152-Karabiner-Hammock-MOD-(Carabiner-MOD)).

glennyb25
21-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Hi Ashley,

Yeah first time, took it up and down a few times to try and get the hang of it, think I got there in the end (obviously not that photo), I did however really struggle with the Tarp and getting that really taut. Any tips on that? on will I just need to practice more?

Cheers

Martin
21-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Hi Glenny

To get the tarp taught, you need to add some prussick loops to the end loops on the tarp. These then slide along the ridge line to pull the tarp taught. To be honest, it's easier to do than to explain but a google will show you how to do a prussick knot and you may find someone has something on there for how to taughten the tarp.

Martin

glennyb25
21-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Hi Martin,

Cheers for the info, will look for a video on it, sounds like that will sort it though.

Ashley Cawley
21-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi Glenny

To get the tarp taught, you need to add some prussick loops to the end loops on the tarp. These then slide along the ridge line to pull the tarp taught. To be honest, it's easier to do than to explain but a google will show you how to do a prussick knot and you may find someone has something on there for how to taughten the tarp.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Cheers for the info, will look for a video on it, sounds like that will sort it though.

Well chaps, I've done a video on just that, how to setup and tension out a Tarp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEpagec4fQI

Here is further details on how to tie the Prussik knot and others (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/camp-craft/bushcraft-knots-useful-knots-hitches.html).

Shewie
21-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Can't say I've ever tried one of their hammocks but their tarps are great value for money.

Ashley Cawley
24-11-2010, 06:02 AM
Can't say I've ever tried one of their hammocks but their tarps are great value for money.
There Tarps used to be too heavy, but that's the great thing about DD they are great at listening to customer feedback and are constantly changing their production & design accordingly.

A British company also :)

leon-1
24-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Well I have to admit to being a bit greedy, I have one of their original camping hammocks (back when they cost £15), but it was a little short, so I upgraded to one of the early travel hammocks, it only has the zip on one side and then due to work and requiring really 2 lots of kit I bought another camping hammock (one of the new longer ones with the zip down the side).

I have only one problem with the DD Hammocks and that's the sashes smell awful, hence I have replaced them on the new camping hammock and the travel hammock with milspec tubular webbing. All of my hammocks are fitted with rings to stop capillary action of water down the sashes. All of the hammocks I own are basically Thai Hammocks, the design of which I first came across in the jungle / rain forest. I think I have six hammocks in all and I use the DD ones more than any other.

I recently bought a DD Tarp as well (as I said I have a requirement for 2 sets of kit), as an alternative to a 3Meter Tatonka. To be fair I actually find the DD Tarp to be more than an alternative, it's cheaper has more hanging points and as such can be configured in many more different ways, it weighs a similar amount and packs down about the same size. It's a better tarp in my opinion.

The service received from DD Hammocks has always been very good in my experience, so I have a lot of time for them as a company and provider of good quality equipment.

LandRoverMatt
18-08-2011, 12:03 PM
they were excellent dd hammocks was only had to wait one day because i ordered after there picks up came

MikeWilkinson
10-10-2011, 12:05 PM
I've not been on the DD website for a long time (2 years nearly). Whilst looking around for some inspiration for DIYing an underblanket I popped onto the site today.

Was very pleasantly surprised to see Dyneema cord (2.5mm Amsteel), Hammock suspension rings and Tree huggers - All at a very reasonable price.

Martin
10-10-2011, 12:36 PM
I've not been on the DD website for a long time (2 years nearly). Whilst looking around for some inspiration for DIYing an underblanket I popped onto the site today.

Was very pleasantly surprised to see Dyneema cord (2.5mm Amsteel), Hammock suspension rings and Tree huggers - All at a very reasonable price.

Yeah, I noticed that last time I was on there. They seem to be really getting their act together on the product range now don't they?

Martin

kesom
10-10-2011, 01:29 PM
just had a look a t the site,ive noticed the 1.8m x 2.8m DD tarpsolo their sellin for ground dwelling,this could work well with the travel hammocks in bivi set up i was thinkin.............

glad to see the new stock on there tho,it was well over due :)

peace ken :)

markal17
11-10-2011, 09:32 PM
im loveing me dd travel hammock and the 3x3 dd tarp is great just need to work out the best way to put them up lol

markal17
24-11-2011, 08:48 PM
here it is my dd hammock http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2498&d=1317053977

Ben Casey
24-11-2011, 10:19 PM
I think mine are great :)

markal17
25-11-2011, 11:04 AM
not shore how high the tarp and hammock should be off the ground

Ben Casey
25-11-2011, 03:04 PM
I have the Tarp higher than my head and the Hammock so I can sit in it :) But I'm sure everyone does it there own way.

markal17
25-11-2011, 07:07 PM
yer that sounds like how i do my set up think thats how im going to do it

Ben Casey
25-11-2011, 09:09 PM
yer that sounds like how i do my set up think thats how im going to do it

I think it is easier to get in and out and in the morning I can put my boots on without touching the ground if it is wet :)

markal17
25-11-2011, 09:25 PM
yer i like to have my feet off the ground but not in the air .i need to do the mods for the hammock next oh what fun lol

AdrianRose
25-11-2011, 09:30 PM
I think it depends on the weather really. I've been a hammock & tarp dweller for a while now and usually at this time of the year I set the "wind" side of the tarp as low to the ground as possible to cut out any draughts.

I agree about the hammock height too, I always set mine so that my feet are just off the floor when I'm sat upright in it. Saves making a separate camp chair.

http://img.tapatalk.com/57730a88-16f9-e2eb.jpg

Ade.

Wrighty28
25-11-2011, 10:24 PM
My DD! I install a mini - mesh hammock sometimes above, usually below the DD as a luggage rack just to keep all my gear off the ground. its also handy as if you were to wake up during the night and need to look for something you dont actually need to leave the warmth of your DD!

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae68/Wrighty28/IMG_1437-1.jpg

markal17
25-11-2011, 10:42 PM
cool pic i need to get a mesh for my set up

Ben Casey
26-11-2011, 08:45 AM
cool pic i need to get a mesh for my set up

You can get a hammock with net at DD and it can be used on the ground if you have no trees as it has a double base layer where you can slide a mat in for more warmth and comfort :)

markal17
26-11-2011, 04:37 PM
yer iv got that hammock i need a net to go under the hammock

Ben Casey
26-11-2011, 07:04 PM
yer iv got that hammock i need a net to go under the hammock

Ermmmmmmm why a net to go under the hammock ?

markal17
26-11-2011, 07:43 PM
to keep stuff off the ground

Ben Casey
26-11-2011, 07:52 PM
AH ok I never had that problem what I wear goes in my sleeping bag with me the rest is dry in my Rucksack hung from a tree or some other object and boots can go on a couple of bit of wood stakes in the ground near to where I will get out.

markal17
26-11-2011, 08:08 PM
yer sounds like a what i do know might leave the net might be geting this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-ARMY-ALICE-PACK-FIELD-BACKPACK-COMBAT-RUCKSACK-FRAME-RACK-BERGEN-LC2-OLIVE-OD-/300622410262?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4413020960456266268 just not shore lol

GwersyllaCnau
26-11-2011, 11:53 PM
yer sounds like a what i do know might leave the net might be geting this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-ARMY-ALICE-PACK-FIELD-BACKPACK-COMBAT-RUCKSACK-FRAME-RACK-BERGEN-LC2-OLIVE-OD-/300622410262?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4413020960456266268 just not shore lol

Looks expensive. Have a look at http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/army-surplus-uk/58-pattern-webbing/complete-genuine-issue-full-set-258940.html OK I know this is used but I bought used '58 pooches and they're fine

markal17
27-11-2011, 01:55 PM
thanks thats a good site iv had some good stuff from there

GwersyllaCnau
27-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Does everyone only have DD hammocks, coz I've just bought a Hennessy

markal17
27-11-2011, 02:35 PM
i think so lol dd had all i needed in one place and at a good price

kesom
27-11-2011, 02:50 PM
the idea behind having a net storage hammock for under your sleeping hammock is that you can store all your stuff off the ground and its really easy to get something from it without having to leave your hammock to go to your bag that you have hanging from a tree or elsewhere,i have a highlander net hammock,fits in my pocket,major improvement on having to get out of the hammock to get some of your kit
here's the one i have
HIGHLANDER HAMMOCK GEAR STORE (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGHLANDER-HAMMOCK-GEAR-STORE-STRETCHER-BUSHCRAFT-ARMY-BASHA-BIVI-STUFF-SACK-/120784835386?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item1c1f56533a)

one thing you should do is get rid of the green cord that comes with it cause its very plastic and knots can slip i just use 550 cord to hold it up,these thing are really worth getting :)

peace ken :)

GwersyllaCnau
27-11-2011, 02:51 PM
I looked at the DD but preferred the asym lay of the hennessy. Plus I researched on you tube of how the different hammocks were set up and I preferred the way the hennessy pitches all in one instead of a separate hammock and tarp. I now just get the tension right pull off the snake skins and peg out 2 guy lines.... all done. That is not to say I don't still like the DD I think it looks a very good hammock, I just preferred some of the features on the Hennessy. But I have only set up the hammock twice and never slept in one so I guess I'll have to do a full review on here once I've actually used it properly.

Ben Casey
27-11-2011, 03:57 PM
I was looking at the hennessy on the bushcraft show and it all looked to enclosed for me :)

GwersyllaCnau
27-11-2011, 05:00 PM
I was looking at the hennessy on the bushcraft show and it all looked to enclosed for me :)

How do you mean?

The 5 minutes i have spent in the hennessy I found the hammock did wrap round the sides of my head more than I would like but I thought that could be either the way I was laying in it or the tension I had on the guy lines wasn't enough or just a generic thing with all hammocks and I would just have to get used to it. If you mean the bug net being low, I thought that when I looked at it but when I got in it was fine.

Ben Casey
27-11-2011, 06:31 PM
I think it must have been the way it was setup it just didnt look right but if you consider the price of them and last time I looked there were no retailers in the UK maybe they have some now tho :)

GwersyllaCnau
27-11-2011, 07:23 PM
if you consider the price of them and last time I looked there were no retailers in the UK maybe they have some now tho :)

I bought the Hennessy from http://www.hennessy-hammocks.co.uk/ for £133.80 including snake skins and delivery. Yes I know it's alot more expensive that the DD hammock and tarp at £84 for the two but I wanted to buy the right Hammock for ME and not be put off and never using it again.

Ben Casey
27-11-2011, 08:05 PM
I bought the Hennessy from http://www.hennessy-hammocks.co.uk/ for £133.80 including snake skins and delivery. Yes I know it's alot more expensive that the DD hammock and tarp at £84 for the two but I wanted to buy the right Hammock for ME and not be put off and never using it again.

I wasnt trying to influence you I was just saying what I thought sorry :)

GwersyllaCnau
27-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I wasnt trying to influence you I was just saying what I thought sorry :)

Yea I know. I didn't take it as though you were trying to influence me. Maybe I worded my reply wrong. I was just saying why I bought the HH instead of the DD even though it's way more expensive, whilst not trying to make it look as though I'm a hennessy rep (other hammock manufacturers are available) LOL

Ben Casey
27-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Cool maybe we will meet up one day and compare LOL

GwersyllaCnau
27-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Cool maybe we will meet up one day and compare LOL

Next time your in Pen y Cae... if I'm not working:ashamed:

GwersyllaCnau
02-12-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but didn't want to start a new thread just for 1 pic of a hammock.

Hennessy hammock just before I spent ages adjusting the hang to get comfortable. 1st I had it way too tight, then I kept sliding into the footbox. Kept adjusting slightly until I found I need the foot end about 8 inches higher than the head end. I will do a review after xmas.

Ben Casey
02-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Looks like a cool setup I like the side ties the way it keeps the hammock open :)

markal17
02-12-2011, 07:47 PM
looks like a good set up mate