PDA

View Full Version : Bushcraft knife suggestions?

Krono5
25-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Hello all, I'm looking to buy my first Bushcraft knife and a small utility penknife for everyday use and could use some advice.

For the Penknife I'm just looking for something I can carry with me everywhere so needs to be UK legal, I was thinking of the Svord peasant knife and just filing a few mm off of the cutting edge.

Ideally for the Bushcraft knife I wanted something that could handle battoning and other tasks the penknife maybe couldn't handleetc. similar to the woodlore (Carbon steel, full tang, wooden handle, 4-5" and a similar shape) but alot cheaper:D
I'm looking to spend < £50 on this knife so any help would be greatly appeciated.

RobbC
25-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Mora clipper, nuff said:D

Robb

jus_young
25-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Mora clipper, nuff said:D

Robb

Hi Krono5 and welcome to NB. Got to agree with RobbC, looking through the knife threads you will find that most of the time it comes back to the good old clipper. Cheap, sturdy and available in carbon or stainless versions. Be prepared however that you could develop an incurable disease called SKS, the most obvious sypmtoms being less available living space at home and lighter pockets.

RobbC
25-06-2011, 06:27 PM
I really want the Timberwolf tbh, but untill i can afford that il stick with the clipper:D

Metal mug
25-06-2011, 06:31 PM
I really want the Timberwolf tbh, but untill i can afford that il stick with the clipper:DI thought you wanted that pukko set. :)

RobbC
25-06-2011, 06:39 PM
I thought you wanted that pukko set. I did, until i saw the Timberwolf:p

jus_young
25-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Or you could try one of these. Some rate them quite highly as good cheap knives to start out with

http://www.casstrom.co.uk/epages/Casstrom-Outdoor.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Casstrom-Outdoor/Categories/Knives/Fixed_Blade/%22Hultafors%20Knives%22

Krono5
25-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of the Clipper, but I just can't get used to the plastic handles on them. From browsing around the only ones I can find in my price category with all the features I'm after seem to not have decent blades like the Condor Bushlore knife.

Might be an idea to make my own with a decent blank although I'm not sure I'm fully upto it :ashamed:

CanadianMike
26-06-2011, 03:25 AM
Too bad you are so far away, I could make you one. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/update_security_info.php?wizard=1#!/pages/STKR-Knives/117036668380871

JEEP
26-06-2011, 12:30 PM
For the penknife; get a SAK. Something like a Victorinox Spartan or Huntsman. I carry a Huntsman in my belt on a daily basis.

For the knife; Might I suggest a Mora Bushcraft Triflex - an imho. upgraded version of the clipper? Or else, if a wooden handle is a must, look for a classic Scandinavian brand like Eräpuu, Karesuando, Kauko Raatiniemi, Iisakki Järvenpää, Strömeng, etc. You get a lot of knife for your money with a classic puukko.