PDA

View Full Version : Warning - B30 diesel fuel

happybonzo
20-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Just in case anyone is thinking of making their own BioDiesel you would be well advised to have a look at this. If you have a diesel engined car or van, check the hadbook, it should tell you in there if it is safe to use Biofuels

Biodiesel is produced from oilseed rape, sunflower oil, used frying oils and palm oil. Unless a vehicle has been specifically designed to use it, this can damage cars.

In the UK all diesel contains up to 7% biodiesel. In France the proportion is similar, However, a B30 diesel blend (containing 30% biodiesel) is also available in France (and other parts of Europe), and it is this that has caught out some British caravanners. B30 is only suitable for vehicles specifically designed to use it.
Journalist and experienced continental caravanner Mike Cazalet believes the problem is that various seals in the fuel system are not suitable for bio fuel. He advised: “The seals may not fail immediately, which is why people who have filled up with the wrong fuel often think they’ve got away with it, but the seals probably will, expensively, fail.”

Motor manufacturer Nissan, along with most other manufacturers, advises customers to use only conventional diesel fuel, and Volkswagen says the use of B30 may invalidate the engine and exhaust system warranty.

A few filling stations in the UK also sell the B30 blend – Morrisons supermarkets has stocked this at its forecourts.

To avoid problems, we advise:

Stick to conventional diesel fuel
Avoid B30 – look out for the B30 label and possibly an orange pump
Use B30 only if you have established with your car’s manufacturer that your vehicle is able to run on this mix

fish
20-06-2011, 10:44 AM
ide stick to tesco value cooking oil,run my renault espace for years on it.

happybonzo
20-06-2011, 12:08 PM

Funnily enough, Renault, Citroen and Peugeot should be alright on it but most of the others are not ie Fiat, all the German lumps and most of the Far East beasts.
It can be a very expensive repair.

bikebum1975
20-06-2011, 03:43 PM

Ya know it is funny that the original Diesel engine was designed to run on vegetable oil? Shame they got hooked on Dino fuel

happybonzo
20-06-2011, 04:02 PM
I believe that it was Peanut Oil - daft world isn't it?