PDA

View Full Version : Childrens Opinel No 7. Review - sort of.

MikeWilkinson
14-06-2011, 10:58 AM
After watching my 4 year old be totally enthralled at watching the guys at the bushcraft show teach a young lad how to carve a tent peg for the first time, I thought it might be a good time to introduce sharps to the little un.

So as we wondered around I kept my eye out for a suitable blade and came across the Opinel no 7 for kids.

Now I've seen this before and have read a fair bit about how children tend to hurt themselves with the point rather than the actual blade when learning to use a knife so thought I'd give it a whorl.

I must say I'm very impressed, we have been out on a few walks around the local woods and have taken some time to sit down and do a little wood whittling. Having established a set of rules for using the knife and demonstrating the correct way of holding it and its safe operation, little Charlotte has managed to make her first tent peg - it is not perfect, the notch could be a little deeper, but she has already grasped the idea of power cuts and notch cuts and fine cuts supported by her thumb in just a few short sessions.

The blade has been excellent, holds a good edge and cuts cleanly through the wood (sycamore and lime in these cases). At 4 she lacks the strength to be able to remove large amounts with her power cuts so it is important that the knife is sharp and cuts cleanly.
The Opinel also has a fairly thin handle that suits her hand better giving her a good solid grip.
I've always had reservations about folding blades, but the ring system used by Opinel has been, as ever, sturdy and there is no play or movement in the blade once locked.

All in all a great experience and it was a joy to watch her concentrating on the wood carving. Will try and get some photos next time.

Ashley Cawley
20-06-2011, 04:43 PM
You're a top Dad! :D

I love the thought of bringing up children from a young age with knives; learning to use and respect them correctly for what they are: a powerful tool - not a weapon like a lot of kids see them today.

A few more Dads like you dotted around the place and we'll have a the world back on track ;)

I taught my younger brother Joe how to use a knife from about 8 or 9, he's 10 now and he still loves whittling, he's probably whittled for hundreds of hours now using Moras and other blades and he hasn't cut himself once - I'm dead proud of him. Funnily enough his favourite thing to whittle at the moment is carving wooden knives!

Metal mug
20-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Funnily enough his favourite thing to whittle at the moment is carving wooden knives! They're training knifes!

MikeWilkinson
20-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks Ashley for your very kind comments. I'll post some pictures of the knife when I manage to get some, and some of Charlotte carving too.

MikeWilkinson
04-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Just made a wooden knife my littlest (2) so she can copy us when I'm teaching Charlotte. It is pretty good, cuts soft fruit and really soft green woods.