CanadianMike
11-06-2011, 10:01 PM
DOH!!! Know I know what I've missing in my life!!!! Lol

JonnyP
12-06-2011, 09:45 AM
File from a knife..?

Matt
12-06-2011, 11:25 AM
LMFAO, on my way to the shed right now, chuckling all the way.

CanadianMike
12-06-2011, 11:42 PM
LMFAO, on my way to the shed right now, chuckling all the way.

Oh what fun, it is to ride, in a one horse open sleigh....

Metal mug
13-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Do you think greenpete might want to make a video on this subject? :D

Adam Savage
14-06-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm sure I have an old kitchen knife somewhere I could add some teeth too...hmmm

Jack Russell
15-06-2011, 05:06 PM
and here was me thinking you'd get Adam on the hook in a twinklin o' an eye Jack. chuck a 12 inch sabatier in the fire and go grab the knurling kit, it's a cinch (I'm sure Martin will be along in a minute to throw this thread into "general chat" or create a new forum area called absolute botox - or something). Pretty sure I used to have a fixed blade knife somewhere in an old kit that had a file edge on the spine, can't remember the manufacturer but it was a handy little knick-knack.

Adam Savage
15-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Pretty sure I used to have a fixed blade knife somewhere in an old kit that had a file edge on the spine, can't remember the manufacturer but it was a handy little knick-knack.

Now that's an interesting idea, and a sensible one. Could knock up a knife with a file spine, or convert one. I'm thinking of what other utensils I could add to one now...

Jack Russell
15-06-2011, 05:29 PM
See I told you metal mug!!!!!!!!! Adam, you have to bear in mind that if you go for it you end up with a bit of a compromise, to get the properties of a file on the spine and the functionality of the blade on the knife what you end up with is probably neither ar$$ole nor watercress. That said, I am now tipping out old tool boxes to try and get a piccie of the kiddy I described, if mora are reading this thread and put one on the market the royalties are payable to Ash care of natural bushcraft to keep this site running!!!!!

Adam Savage
15-06-2011, 05:38 PM
When I tempered my blade, I followed the same method as GreenPete, with the blowtorch. This softens the spine a little so the blade is flexible, without softening the cutting edge, so it remains sharper for longer. If I harden the blade a couple times, then quench it in water the third time spine first, then it might make the spine hard enough to hold the teeth of a file. I have no idea really, but that would make sense to me. Might mean the blade is a little brittle though.

Jack Russell
15-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Bingo! give that man a coconut...........

Adam Savage
15-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Bingo! give that man a coconut...........

I prefer bananas :p

Jack Russell
15-06-2011, 06:07 PM
As long as Kirsty (very sexy) Young is offering me my desert island disc luxury, she can show up with either coconut or banana I'm sure I'll enjoy it one way or another FFnarrrrrrrr
Sorry Martin, it's been a long week on nightshift here in the Welsh outback