PDA

View Full Version : Petrol as a fuel

happybonzo
04-06-2011, 04:44 AM
Some people use petrol stoves. The wretched things are supposed to be able to run on unleaded but they still clog the tubes with all the crud in normal fuel.
This brings us onto Coleman fuel which, although it does the job, is terribly expensive
There is a more affordable alternative and it's called ASPEN 4T Fuel (http://www.sunoco.co.uk/environment-Aspen-4T-alkylate-petrol)
I've gone over to using Aspen 2T which is a pre-mix 2 stroke fuel for all the chainsaws, brush cutters etc and don't suffer the splitting headache that Unleaded can cause any more.
The 4T is intended for for 4 stroke engines. It has a shelf life of 25 years apparently
It is also a cracking fuel for petrol stoves
There's nothing quite like the roar of a n MSR stove for disturbing the tranquillity of the countryside :)

bigzee
04-06-2011, 11:06 PM
I was thinking only the other day "hmmm..nobody's ever mentioned petrol stoves on here" 'cos I have a Coleman peak 442 which I bought in 1991 and is still in regular service. Fantastic piece of solid well engineered "septic" kit, which only let me down once (through my early ignorance - ohh..you have to clean the burner!), and I won't have a word said against it. Fast, fierce and wind-resistant flame, which is adjustable. What more could you want except much lighter weight and cheaper fuel. The "white gas was ok and affordable but not any more, so petrol is cheaper, with a bit more routine maintenance. Given the rising fuel prices we start to worry, but at about 1.35/L for unleaded it's still cheaper than meths (I pay 1.99/500ml)

I'll look into the stuff you link to.

happybonzo
05-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Aspen fuel is the same as "white" gas. It is only available in 5 litre containers though. I run 4T through all our 4 stroke engines that may stood over winter and 2T through all the 50/1 2 strokes as 2T is already mixed

Martin
14-06-2011, 08:52 PM
I've got a petrol stove (the hong kong one from Ebay). Never had a day's trouble running it on unleaded to be honest.

Martin

fish
04-07-2011, 09:45 AM
i used to run some reddex through mine now and again to rid the soot out of the generator.

GwersyllaCnau
04-07-2011, 04:42 PM
'cos I have a Coleman peak 442 which I bought in 1991 and is still in regular service. Fantastic piece of solid well engineered "septic" kit, which only let me down once (through my early ignorance - ohh..you have to clean the burner!), and I won't have a word said against it. Fast, fierce and wind-resistant flame, which is adjustable. What more could you want except much lighter weight and cheaper fuel.

I bought a coleman 533 4 years ago... used it following the instructions twice and it blew the regulator seals, still works though but have to empty it every time I use it and only put the amount of fuel I need in it because I can't turn it off, have to wait for it to run out of fuel.... Sorry bigzee, I'll never buy a coleman stove again.

JEEP
04-07-2011, 08:42 PM
I use petrol stoves a lot, currently I have an Optimus Svea 123R, an Optimus NOVA+ (which I am selling) and a Trangia Multifuel X2. I had a Providus+ at a time, but the quality was quite unsatisfying.

Petrol stoves requires some training and patience to use, especially a self-pressuriser like like the Optimus Svea 123R. But, once you build up a proper routine, they are the easiest, most stabile, weather resistant, versatile and effective stoves I can think of.