PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Sunny South East Wales (OK - I Lied about the sunny bit...!)

paul standley
20-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi everyone, great site and forum, I feel right at home here.

A little bit about me - I'm mid 50's, family man and spend my days in the office. I always loved the countryside but got 'out of the habit' of getting out there until last year when I decided it was time to do something about it so since then, I've been collecting and scavaging and making some kit and bought a couple of small cheap but capable tents, bags, mats etc.. and now I get out as often as I can.

I guess you could say I'm a newbie although I did a lot of camping and hiking when I was younger and was a member of the Woodcraft Folk when I was a kid and teenager.

I enjoy the Brecon Beacons (did a great wild camp there this summer) and I am a fan of the "Lone Wolf" wild camping woods near Neath which some of you might know.

Am a fly fisherman when I get the chance (river and resevoir trout) and enjoy DIY and as part of my diy kit I have a little wood lathe that I hope to use for some "craft" turning soon. When I'm in the mood I love water colour painting and sketching not that I'm any good, just enjoy it.

Am currently hooked on playing around with making hobo style aclohol and wood stoves and cook kits out of bits and bobs.

I like NBC because everyone seems pretty down to earth and looks like there are few kindred spirits amongst you...!

Paul.

MikeWilkinson
20-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Hi Paul,

Sounds a bit like my story. Welcome to the forum.

greenpete
20-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum! :)

Ashley Cawley
21-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Great intro Paul, thanks for the insight into your story.

I too have camped at the Lone Wolf campsite (in the woods), that is the one I remember isn't it? Glynn Y mul farm or something like that?

It sounds like your doing some budget-bushcraft, which I'm all for! I will also be playing with stoves more soon.

I like NBC because everyone seems pretty down to earth and looks like there are few kindred spirits amongst you...!..
It makes me very glad to hear that, thank you Paul. I strive to be as open as I can about everything I do here, even down to putting names to faces (hence my avatar). Myself & the friends that help me run this forum (Martin, Matt & GreenPete) are very open, welcoming people and it's nice to hear people realise that. :o

Matt
21-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Hey Paul, a very warm welcome, enjoy.

Regards, Matt.

paul standley
21-11-2010, 07:48 PM
I too have camped at the Lone Wolf campsite (in the woods), that is the one I remember isn't it? Glynn Y mul farm or something like that?

:o

Yes Ash, it's Glyn Y Mul Farm (Ian's place) - the woods are great.

Martin
21-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi Paul

Welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum. If you ever fancy arranging a Brecon Beacons trip I'd be interested in joining in. Haven't walked up there for many years but it's a beautiful part of the world.

Martin

:campfire:

paul standley
22-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Hi Paul

Welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum. If you ever fancy arranging a Brecon Beacons trip I'd be interested in joining in. Haven't walked up there for many years but it's a beautiful part of the world.

Martin

:campfire:

good Idea Martin, I'll give it some thought and see what ideas I can pull together. The Beacons national park are stricly speaking not 'wild camping' friendly but as ever, discretion is the watch word so for small 2/3 peole trips it should be OK and I do know one 'approved' wild camp site and I have my own favorite 'unofficial' spot in a hidden valley, so that's a start.