PDA

View Full Version : Bushing it in Europe

comanighttrain
02-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi guys,

Im skint (from buying bushcraft stuff). So im trying to get some cheap flights to somewhere in Europe and then backpack/camp for a while.. Any suggestions on destinations? any experience to share?

So far the options look like Poitiers in France, Dusseldorf in Germany and Torp in Norway - Torp looks like the easiest for bushing it since the airport itself seems to be in the middle of the countryside...

:campfire:

IBrown
02-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Keep an eye on Ryan-air. I flew to Genoa in Italy last year for £5.00 each way. It was dearer to park the car in the airport carpark than it was for the flight lol.. You just have to keep checking the site until you see the price you like. mostly its between £6 and £12 each way.

comanighttrain
02-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Cheers man! Just got to hope i dont end up on my todd!

IBrown
02-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Are you going on your own or with a group?

comanighttrain
02-06-2011, 09:58 PM
See how it turns out...can't wait for people forever eh

nature nut
05-06-2011, 06:39 PM
South france, near the piranese! fantastic forestry! and you can get some mean priced flights!!! have a look the earlier you book the cheaper they normally are!:D

garethw
06-06-2011, 08:24 AM
hi there
I take it naturenut means the Pyrenees. Breathtaking!! I crossed in a 4x4 on the Spanish side in 2003, sleeping in our rooftent and biouacling at upto 2500m ..superb.
For hiking you might want to look at the GR 10 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GR_10_%28France%29

These trails are mapped out all over France and are superb. All are clearly marked with signs and you can get IGN maps (like OD) with the routes on and guide books to help on your way.
Cheers
Garreth

Note you naturally can do just short sections of the trail.. I did a portion near Ainoha a few years ago..

comanighttrain
06-06-2011, 10:12 AM
I had thought about that...it looks great! I'm a bit nervous because of the unfamiliar environment though... is it easy enough to find potable water along the way?

garethw
06-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi there
If you have a look at the link it gives a list of the towns and villages you pas through. These trails are designed to allow you to use refuges, campsites, gites, and bivouacs along the way, so you'll have no issue getting water or food.... the Basque cheeses are really good too.
Wonderful scenery and in my experience less touristy than the Alps....
cheers
Gareth

comanighttrain
06-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Cheers Gareth, Now I'll see how the transport costs come about and decide :D looks promising though

garethw
06-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Biarritz is likely to be the closest flight destination with both Easyjet and Ryan Air flying there... seems can be as cheap as £50.
cheers
Gareth

nature nut
06-06-2011, 03:51 PM
another idea which offers cheap flights is flying into san sebastian in the basque region of spain. Realllyyyy cheap flights!!!!