PDA

View Full Version : Oops! I forgot it.

Metal mug
19-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Everyone's had that moment when you hit the trail and then realised that you've forgotten something. Sometimes it's small and not very important like powdered milk. Other times it's more important like matches or a sleeping bag. If you've forgotten something how did you overcome the problem? :confused2:

Martin
19-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Good question Jack.

I stopped smoking last Easter and not long after went out on a walk on the Coastal Path on the north coast. After a few hours, I decided to stop for something to eat and to have a brew. Got everything set up, the water in the kettle on the stove and went to my pocket for my lighter, something I'd carried with me without fail for over 30 years, or since I started smoking. I was amazed that it wasn't there. I'd never had to think about it before.

These days, I carry a fire steel in the stove container as well as one in the neck pouch of my Svord Peasant knife so, as long as I've got them, I have the means to light a fire. This has got to be the only down side to stopping smoking. ;)

Martin

jus_young
19-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Good question Jack.

I stopped smoking last Easter and not long after went out on a walk on the Coastal Path on the north coast. After a few hours, I decided to stop for something to eat and to have a brew. Got everything set up, the water in the kettle on the stove and went to my pocket for my lighter, something I'd carried with me without fail for over 30 years, or since I started smoking. I was amazed that it wasn't there. I'd never had to think about it before.

These days, I carry a fire steel in the stove container as well as one in the neck pouch of my Svord Peasant knife so, as long as I've got them, I have the means to light a fire. This has got to be the only down side to stopping smoking. ;)

Martin

This is something I will definately bear in mind as the wife has given up smoking with the promise that I will follow suit :(

Ashley Cawley
19-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Not exactly camping but I went out filming for Natural Bushcraft the other day and forgot my bloomin camera! I kid you not, I had everything else, even the waterproof bag I carrying my filming equipment in, inside that the camera bag! But no camera inside! Gutted I had to turn round and head home to go get it. :ashamed: ... there's no fabricating a video camera in the wilds.

I have improvised lots in the past, forks, plates, thankfully I've been good at remembering the toilet roll so far!

Martin
19-05-2011, 02:14 PM
.... thankfully I've been good at remembering the toilet roll so far!

Yeah, you never know when the opportunity for a danger xxxx will present itself. :D

Martin

jbrown14
19-05-2011, 02:25 PM
This winter I went out for a solo showshoe hike. When I stopped to brew up, I thought I'd take a few pictures of the area, and my little campsite. The night before I dumped all of the pictures off the memory card so I'd have plenty of shots. When I turned the camera on and looked at the picture count, I realized that I had left the memory card in the card reader at home. So I only got about 5 or 6 pictures that day. Major bummer.

comanighttrain
19-05-2011, 03:41 PM
I was just thinking I have never forgotten anything... then I realised of course that I have forgotten to take water on a boiler of a day...

Also one fateful day when i forgot tea... dark times...

My mate has forgotten food and utensils

Metal mug
19-05-2011, 04:10 PM
My mate has forgotten food and utensilsIt must of ruined the fortnight ;)

JEEP
19-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Matches, once. Toilet paper a few times.

I have developed an almost autistic packing routine over time, I rarely forgot something now.

jbrown14
19-05-2011, 06:08 PM
I have developed an almost autistic packing routine over time, I rarely forgot something now.

Ha! I'm like that now as well, Jakob. I'm a spreadsheet junky, so I've got gear lists that get modded multiple times before each trip. (It helps my short term memory which was affected by a mini-stroke a couple of years ago.)

paul standley
19-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Ha! I'm like that now as well, Jakob. I'm a spreadsheet junky, so I've got gear lists that get modded multiple times before each trip. (It helps my short term memory which was affected by a mini-stroke a couple of years ago.)

There's theme developing here... Can't go anywhere without my Excel list to tick off... my family can't stop laughing but it works for me...(most of the time)... did forget my pot noodles for my lunch recently and did forget my dam meths stove a while back (was in my other bag) - got 3 meths stoves now so got it covered...!

RobbC
19-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Well last year i went wild camping with 3 of ma mates. We found a nice site, i put up ma basha, added a thick larey of spruce boughs to make a bed and ot the campfire lit. I was gona make a pot hanger, so i opened up ma pack.....oh s**t wheres ma knife!

Robb

Adam Savage
19-05-2011, 08:20 PM
In the whole, entire history of camping, wild camping, stealthing, etc... the list would be a pretty large one for me, but recently I don't think I have forgotten anything. I like to make simple things while out to save taking things, if it's realistic, such as scrubbing brush, pegs, pot hanger, etc... (nothing too demanding) unless I am going to a site where my car isn't too far away. I have left things in the woods though, such as mora, walking staff, hat, pegs and a couple hundred feet of paracord lol.

Marvell
19-05-2011, 11:34 PM
I forgot my spoon once. Not my carved spoon, my metal spoon. I overcame this problem by making chop sticks and a scoop from a tin lid.