PDA

View Full Version : The thirty two quid thumbstick!

bigzee
16-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Last weekend the family and I went to a large country estate in Nottinghamshire owned by the charity organization that tends to own those kinds of places, and whose name rhymes with "basha pole rust". After a nice wander round the impressive toffs' garden and lake area, the ladies with me were drawn inevitably, and not unexpectedly towards the "gift shop" (husband groans quietly here).

Now I'm the first to admit that I've got long pockets and short arms, where my money's concerned, but a 35cl bottle of sloe gin for 18.00 is a little steep (that's 1/2 a wine size bottle!) Apart from one or two discounted books, which I still couldn't really justify buying), everything else on offer was of similar poor value for money.

As I headed for the door, there was a basket containing walking sticks, including a thumbstick about 1.3 m in length, with a V at the top which had been quickly whizzed with a power tool to allow more thumb room and all had been varnished. How on earth does that warrant a price tag of 32.00 ?

A fool and his money eh!

Bernie
16-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Very true. I often think the only poor souls suckered into buying that sort of thing are loving family members who want to get someone special, something special. It'd be interesting to know what people would be willing to pay for it if the price were hidden from them.

ElementOwl
16-05-2011, 09:18 PM
I believe I know the country estate you are referring to. I have not been there for a while as it was expensive (including car parking). Sad to hear things have not changed.

fish
16-05-2011, 10:25 PM
you should see the price of a cuppa and a slice of cake in the same peoples tea shop near us at stourhead! when we visit these places we take a packed lunch and a kelly kettle!

bigzee
17-05-2011, 10:43 AM
you should see the price of a cuppa and a slice of cake in the same peoples tea shop near us at stourhead! when we visit these places we take a packed lunch and a kelly kettle!
Yes Stourhead is another "tourist trap", but it probably the best "toffs' garden" in Britain. I lived in Gillingam Dorset in the 1980s so went a few times, although usually with parents (who were members), so wasn't too out of pocket. Glad you've got an alternative plan for food, 'cos the pub there was a bit pricey for a pluffmans lunch, and usually had to wait a while for it! Nice place for photos though.