PDA

View Full Version : A doody stove making technique

bigzee
14-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Just saw this on YT and although it takes a while to cotton on to what he's doing, at the end he achieves a pretty cool result, by curling the edges of the stove with a die and bottle-jack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBk21lmr6IM

Martin
15-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Nice link Bigzee. Thanks for sharing. I've never seen those bottles over here, can you get them?

Martin

bigzee
15-05-2011, 08:30 PM
I doubt if they're available to us pommies/limeys, but I suspect the ali would be similar gauge to cosmetic containers, and that the fabrication techniques used may work. Aluminium is a very "plastic" metal, and I often flange edges cold with hand tools when making burners. I suspect the containers were made into their usual shape with cold die techniques?

Proventurer
16-05-2011, 07:29 AM
An interesting take on producing these stoves, for a slightly more up market style and quality stove, see www.whiteboxstoves.com I think Bill Ballowe has gone a couple of steps further in turning out his product.

bigzee
16-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Yep that looks like proper "shiny stuff" alright!

Big T
25-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Oh no, another project......................!

paul standley
26-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Been a subscriber to Hiram's you tube channel for a while, he does some good experiementations as I also like I do and sometimes his stoves crash miserably like mine do, so he's a bit of kindred spirit...!

Paul.