PDA

View Full Version : Are you a lightweight lugger or a heavyweight mule?

Metal mug
11-05-2011, 09:18 PM
I thought this would be an interesting thread to start. How do you pack? Do you pack heavy and put up with the weight, happy with the thought that you're prepared for anything that comes your way (a mule). Or do you prefer a light pack with only a few basics for easy walking, and put up with discomfort if something does go wrong. (e.g. it rains for the weekend and you have no change of clothes) If think I am inbetween although I like the idea of lightweight lugging more than being a mule, mainly for a bit of speed. So what's your opinion? :confused: :confused2:

freedom
11-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi Trapper,

I am a heavy mule packer or maybe a worrier as my missus tells me. But I like the idea of packing as much equipment into my 25litre rack sack before going out for a walk, never know what I want to practise when out and about. I normally carrying for two anyway, maybe re-word it as donkey!! I usually pack change clothes, 24 hours food, knive, flint, torch, whistle, first aid kit, bivvy bag, tarp, sleeping bag, cord, compass, map and mess equipment. It is heavy but it keeps me fit carrying it about.

comanighttrain
11-05-2011, 09:57 PM
lightweight...truth be known in good conditions i'd probably leave the house with my blizzard bag, crusader mug, swiss army knife, medikit(water puri tabs in here) and some food

Martin
11-05-2011, 10:40 PM
It all depends Jack. If it's a two or three night camp within 5 mins of the car then it the full 'kitchen sink' job. However, if I'm walking any distance then I will go as lightweight as possible using all the mod-cons I can lay my hands on. I have accumulated some of the lightest gear out there to bring my pack weight down and feel that I'm getting as low as I can go without seriously compromising safety or comfort.

Hopefully I'll get to see just how light it all is when we do the Ten Tors challenge soon. Can't wait to do the pack weigh in.

Martin

Alba Albion
11-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Went to the Peak District a few years back when I was green. Carried 20kg. Idiot. Now got my pack weight down to 9kg. Result.

CanadianMike
12-05-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm a pack mule, but also relatively inexperienced with camping, am learning though and reducing my gear as I go along. Heading out tomorrow for a four day camping/fishing trip, have a packed 65L backpack (clothes, shower stuff, tools, etc.), large duffle (has my rain gear, sleeping pads, wool blankets, life jacket, etc), small bag for eating stuff (plates, spices, leather bag full of bannock mix, etc), and my fishing rods, tackle bag. What I've been seeing frm the other guys, I'm actually one of the lighter ones. :)

Notredame11211
12-05-2011, 01:15 AM
I'm a pack mule, I fill my Lowe Alpine salient to the brim every time I leave .

chris grace
12-05-2011, 08:46 AM
It all depends Jack. If it's a two or three night camp within 5 mins of the car then it the full 'kitchen sink' job. However, if I'm walking any distance then I will go as lightweight as possible using all the mod-cons I can lay my hands on. I have accumulated some of the lightest gear out there to bring my pack weight down and feel that I'm getting as low as I can go without seriously compromising safety or comfort.

Hopefully I'll get to see just how light it all is when we do the Ten Tors challenge soon. Can't wait to do the pack weigh in.

Martin

That's the same as me.

kINGPIN
18-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Most of my woodland camps are heavyweight but I have recently started to pack smaller lighter gear and must say that I like it a lot. I can travel further quicker. But when winter comes I will be loading up all the comforts which means a lot of extra weight.

Al21
15-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Sherpa Al here for sure! Though most trips for the last twenty years or so have been in a canoe so keeping the weight down isn't so important to me.

While I do enjoy a trip to the hills now and then, it's not such a high priority as messing about in boats for me, so my kit choices have geared to that and I can't justify forking out for a whole load of titanium stuff now.

Al

LandRoverMatt
15-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Uh when i can be asked to pack light weight i can, but if im in a rush i just get a big bag filled up :D

Ben Casey
15-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Everything feels heavy to me :D

paul standley
15-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm an in betweenie...

I can pack light when it comes to everything except sleeping kit.

I'm finding these days that I just can't do lightweight foam sleep mats, self inflating mats or narrow sleeping bags so either have to take heavier (thicker) mats & a pillow or else look fwd to sleepless nights.

Made a hammock in the summer and used it couple of times with a tarp but hammock needs some mods so I'll be working on that in the spring. My cheap Tarp & hammock is lighter than my tent(s) and mats but has one major drawback - needs trees...!

Bigmikejenkins
15-12-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm an in betweenie...

I can pack light when it comes to everything except sleeping kit.

I'm finding these days that I just can't do lightweight foam sleep mats, self inflating mats or narrow sleeping bags so either have to take heavier (thicker) mats & a pillow or else look fwd to sleepless nights.

Same here, I'll wear the same clothes quite happily for weeks on end if it means I can have my comfortable sleeping bag, mat and pillow. Got my pack down to 8kg including 3 days food and 2 litres water, cooking and fire kit, axe, hammock and tarp last time I went out. Using an Osprey exos 48 to pack it all into.

Drphoto
02-01-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm a bit of an in betweener. I usually come in at about 12 kgs in a 60 odd litre lowe alpine, never full, but never far off. The rucksack weighs in at a couple of kilos, but it wont split or let me down. I hate not having what I want at hand, but often get it wrong. switched to a hammock for the spring, so comfy and leaves no trace compared to ground dwelling. Dont think I could ever get my kit down to a 25 litre bag. I like having a bit of space left in the bag for rummaging etc Im giving up carrying an axe, prefer battoning compared to the weight. Starting to plan a GR10 hike across the french pyrennees so I will have to get lighterweight soon? Its a relly long hike so I will be looking for lots of info and advice, and yes I realise I will have to be fit as hell before i start

char4chocs
03-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Im a heavyweight lugger, I carry 15stone around every day lol a few extra Kg dont worry me too much ( providing im not hiking up snowdonia)

GwersyllaCnau
21-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Just weighed my bergen packed for an over-nighter in a hammock, 65 litre pack (nowhere near the lightest available) plently of room left over for spare clothes and food. Not packed food yet but have 2 litres of water.
3 season sleeping bag packed in a hunka bivi (mainly to keep it dry in the pack)
self inflating sleeping mat
Swedish army mess kit with cutlery, enamel mug, tea bags, lighter and spare fuel packed inside
Hammock
knife
first aid kit
torch plus head torch
MSR water filter
2 litres of water
compass
map and case
small plastic sheet to sit on
waterproofs
11.5kg.

jacko1066
19-07-2012, 10:12 AM
I thought I was a bit inbetween but in fact after the last trip I need a pack mule or sherpa lol!!
I have been trying desperately to get my weight down but am struggling!!! The latest step has been to buy a new pack, I have gone from and 85litre trac pack to a 65 litre snugpak rocket pack.
I yet to use the new pack so cant comment on it although I wish I bought a sabre 45 with pouches, and as the snugpak still has tags on I may just stick on ebay!!! Unless anyone on here fancys a swap??
But the theory is that havig a smaller pack I wont be able to pack as much gear so will therefore be lighter.
Anyone got any good tips?
Cheers
Steve

FishyFolk
19-07-2012, 11:39 AM
I am the type of person that loves the camping part of being out in the dirt. I absolutely hate the part of getting there. So I prefer to either let the car do the heavy hauling, or go with just my lunch or supper, and some bushcrafty knives and brew kit, and stay so close to home that if the weather turns nasty, I can just go home, and most likely be there within 10-15 minutes :-)

But if the trip has a purpose other than just setting up a camp, and sit around a camp fire, drink beer and pass wind, like fishing or hunting, I'll haul whatever I think necessary for the trip. But I will still hate every step I have to take...ha ha, in the army my squad mates used to make jokes about that low grumble of profanities that was always emitting from me when we where out for a "walk in the woods" as our
fitness fanatic of a plattoon co called it...he never complained about it though. I was always right on his tail. Wish I was that fit again, and that I did not have to run or walk a meter to achieve it..."#¤%"#¤%!¤%!¤R% !!!"

biker-bri
19-07-2012, 06:05 PM
mule but I am still learning, on my first overnight camp I thought it would be a good idea to take a pen and pad and write down the items I didn't really need, after a few hours at the camp with everything set up nice and comfy
I got the pad out only to find I had left the pen behind! such is life :ashamed:

AL...
19-07-2012, 07:05 PM
I try and pack light but always end up looking like a third world Donkey.

I will learn one day ............................... Then again!!!

Cheers
AL

Kernowek Scouser
19-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Historically I'm a pack mule, but slowly but surely, I have be reducing the amount of gear I carry and lightening the weight of what gear I am left with, as I aspire to be a lightweight larry.

Sadly, I fear the best I can hope for is becoming a middleweight muggins as:
A) I do like having lots a potentially handy things in my pack
B) I keep forgetting I'm aiming for lightweight status and buy things like the 9kg Polish sleep mat (VERY comfy, but not that practical for hiking)

I'll go lightweight next year :D

AL...
20-07-2012, 12:42 AM
I'll go lightweight next year :D

haha aye me too

Cheers
AL

SimonB
26-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Hi all,

First post, So be gentle... :0)

I have to admit, I am definitely a mule... I carry for just about every eventuality,as was the case when I was in the Army...

Here's a list of my kit....

65ltr Pathfiinder pack.. internal frame.
Vango sleeping bag
Bivvi bag,
Ponch/basha
Mess tins, carrying powdered soups, and brews.
Tablespoon... For eating and stirring brew up.
Paracord.. Two hanks of it..
Compass, silva ex-army issue, plus spare one.
Map,Case, Pen,Notebook, And I.C.E details.
Water bottles.. 2 1/2 ltr worth.
Enamel mug.
Waterproofs.
Walking poles.. (bad knees, and for making improvised tent poles for basha).
First aid kit.. Quite a full one to be able to deal with a majority of situations likely to occur.
Wooly hat.
Gloves.
Knife... Multitool jobby,plus sharpener.
Binoculars.. Small pair just for anything that catches my eyes.
Head torch.. has three settings, including flashing, so good for use in an emergency for being spotted.
Survival tin... Similar to one I had in Army, just updated slightly.
Emerency shelter/heat sheet thing.. makes a ridge type shelter, or tie up one end to make a thermal emergency bag.
Whistle.. i have three.. One on my 65 ltr pack, one on my 25 ltr pack, and one on my floatation suit for sea fishing.
Coleman Stove and fuel.
Tinder box
Firesteel.
Towel.. Both for cleaning pots and kit, plus me if needs.

Then there is the food I would be carrying to last as needed, plus a bit more just in case....

My 25 ltr pack has the following... which i use out of my large pack when not in use..

Bivvy bag and poncho.
Thermal shelter/bag
Mug
Brewkit
Hexi stove and blocks
map, case & compass with notebook, pen, and I.C.E details.
Food for trip, pluss 24 hr emergency.
Poles.
Waterproofs
head torch.
Whistle.

There might be a bit more, but getting tired, and brain is failing..

Wish everyone a great night oout if under the stars, and good night if you are in the armchair.

Regards,

Si.

blindgeekuk
30-07-2012, 11:49 AM
I consider myself to be a bit of a pack mule, and this year my goal has been to slim down the weight by replacing older heavier items, and dropping items that aren't really needed. My current kit fits comfortably in a 45litre rucksack and I reckon if I packed it slightly better i'd have room to spare. Most of my weight comes in food, I reckon probably 15l is made up of rehydratable ration packs, snacks and tea/coffee.

ian c
30-07-2012, 01:33 PM
I am bad as i carry everything in my ex issue long back rucksack, and it weighs a ton, i miss having a belt kit which used to carry my food, water, small FAK (first aid kit) RCK (rifle cleaning kit) mags, grenade, spare ammo ect.
my bergan weighs a ton so might have to sort out a belt kit just for bushcraft that way only need to carry a smaller daysack to hold my sleeping system ect, a good thing i dont have to carry ammo ect anymore.

SimonB
30-07-2012, 02:24 PM
I am bad as i carry everything in my ex issue long back rucksack, and it weighs a ton, i miss having a belt kit which used to carry my food, water, small FAK (first aid kit) RCK (rifle cleaning kit) mags, grenade, spare ammo ect.
my bergan weighs a ton so might have to sort out a belt kit just for bushcraft that way only need to carry a smaller daysack to hold my sleeping system ect, a good thing i dont have to carry ammo ect anymore.

Great minds think alike I see.........

Recently "aquired" my lads '58 skeleton kit.. Yolk, Ammo pouches, and kidney pouches... Just got to get the water pouch, and thinking the respirator pouch to hold bivvi bag and poncho...

RobbC
30-07-2012, 02:44 PM
I have to say, i never ised to see the point in ligt weight kit, mainly because of te cost. But since buying the light weight type of kit for Peru, im converted. I can feel my bank balance quivering already...;)

Robb

Martin
30-07-2012, 09:56 PM
I have to say, i never ised to see the point in ligt weight kit, mainly because of te cost. But since buying the light weight type of kit for Peru, im converted. I can feel my bank balance quivering already...;)

Robb

You have seen the light!! Pun totally intended. :)

Martin

jus_young
30-07-2012, 11:17 PM
The lightweight route can be very addictive and, if you're not careful, very very exspensive. I have probably spent too much already and continue to look for lighter and less bulky gear in an effort to shrink the size and weight of the pack.

Reaps72
30-07-2012, 11:54 PM
I'd say I'm a minimalist but not reckless, not overly-light without being too heavy & keep it all in a 50ltr rucksack!

Pack varies dependant on the trip length but always there are:
Tent 2.75kg
sleeping bag 1.2kg
Multimat Adventure Air 500g
Trangia 27 + Fire Steel750g
SOL emergency bivy 110g
Petzl e-lite torch 110g
Suunto field compass & Map
2ltr Platypus (usually full)
Hydropal water filter
Home-made I-pood trowel & bog roll 200g
Mosinet
1st Aid kit
Camera & Gorilla-pod 700g

Reckon I lugg on average 15kg food & water are the killers!
For day Hikes just take out the shelter & sleeping kit!

But as already commented it's not too uncomfortable & keeps you fit!

Metal mug
31-07-2012, 09:39 AM
I really should start weighing my rucksack more as I've no clue how much I carryy on average at the moment. :)

GalaxyRider
14-11-2012, 10:18 PM
I prefer light. I spent years perfecting the art of making my bergen look full, so I didn't get another radio battery and a spare GPMG belt tossed my way. Sometimes it had big, 'air gaps' to make it look full! Ha, what a laugh. Anyway, I carried a massive first aid kit, it all worked out.

Now I can get a bag down to just a few kilos for a two night weekend. Mountain marathons teach you to pack very, very light!

Ehecatl
14-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Definately a mule. Afterall, beers are heavy not that I've room for any. I fill a British Army PLCE 120Ltr bergan pretty much to the brim. I've always been nice and warm at night though even when my mates have been freezing.

Hammock
Tarp
Sleeping bag
Bivy bag
Fleecing liner
Spare clothes
Lines
Tree huggers
Karabiners
Machette
Axe
KFSM
Spare torch

GalaxyRider
15-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Definately a mule. Afterall, beers are heavy not that I've room for any. I fill a British Army PLCE 120Ltr bergan pretty much to the brim. I've always been nice and warm at night though even when my mates have been freezing.

Hammock
Tarp
Sleeping bag
Bivy bag
Fleecing liner
Spare clothes
Lines
Tree huggers
Karabiners
Machette
Axe
KFSM
Spare torch

Wow. I wouldn't have enough stuff to fill a 120l rucksack! If I did find enough stuff I'd have trouble lifting it, then if I would need to walk somewhere as well :shocked:

And to be honest, I'm never cold either. I'm in awe of your ability to survive using so much stuff!

OakAshandThorn
15-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Definitely light. I found out the hard way that trudging along with a massive pack (not including my old tent and sleeping gear) across rough terrain SUCKS.

Silverback
15-11-2012, 11:12 PM
trudging along with a massive pack (not including my tent and sleeping gear) across rough terrain SUCKS.

True which is why I would prefer some people to stay at home and not get lost on hills and mountains

OakAshandThorn
15-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Yep. I'm a volunteer (well, "unofficial volunteer") at a 900 acre park across the street from my house, and I can't tell 'ya how many fools get lost because they were too stupid to take a map and compass or to go with someone who knew the ins-and-outs of the woodlands. Drives me nuts, especially when they hike deep into the forests AT NIGHT. I'm glad I'm not the one answering the phone calls at the park office, because I'd give them an earful.

Tigger004
16-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Defo a Mule in winter, usmc sleep system sees my pack half full, then lots of extras "Just in case" It's mine and my son's lives I'm playing with why risk them?

Camped high in the mountains in March and was real glad of the comfort and safety stuff, my bl###dy legs ached but it could have been serious if we weren't prepared,
You never know, if you are not prepared then you also risk other brave peoples lives, as some of you well know.

Not too bad in warmer times, happy to rough it when the risks are minimal

SimonB
17-11-2012, 12:03 AM
I prefer light. I spent years perfecting the art of making my bergen look full, so I didn't get another radio battery and a spare GPMG belt tossed my way. Sometimes it had big, 'air gaps' to make it look full! Ha, what a laugh. Anyway, I carried a massive first aid kit, it all worked out.

Now I can get a bag down to just a few kilos for a two night weekend. Mountain marathons teach you to pack very, very light!

A man after my own...

Years of lunking kit, spare ammo, and medikit... hence used to heavy loads...

On a recent sponsored walk I did, had a 65ltr pack loaded to the hilt with stuff, plus tent and sleep mat packed outside, and a guesstimate of 60 lb +.. and I managed 12 out of the 16 miles intended, only because the other two couldn't finish.........

It goes to show if you're used to being a Yak, weight means little to you..

SimonB
17-11-2012, 12:05 AM
True which is why I would prefer some people to stay at home and not get lost on hills and mountains

T^

GalaxyRider
17-11-2012, 09:29 AM

If you only let experienced people out on the hills, then way fewer will experience the outdoors. Not everyone is a numpty, and as there is no genetic test for 'Idiocy' (apart from looking at the parents) how do you ever enforce such a thing?

There are also plenty of so-called experts who find themselves lost and bewildered by circumstances (including the 'Bushcraft' instructor a few months ago). Stopping some people simply on the basis they do not have enough stuff is problematic also because I regularly go out with a light doss-bag, small flimsy tent/bivi bag, a handful of porridge, some pasta a Sigg bottle and a tiny stove. Now that would fall foul of the kit check, but I have been doing Mountain Marathons for 25 years.

I see your point, but it is entirely unrealistic. And surely we do not want people to pass 'tests' to be able to go for a walk do we?

OakAshandThorn
18-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Well, no,...but people should at least have common sense when they go to an unknown place. I think that some outdoor skills should be taught in all schools, both private and public. Parents aren't doing much of anything anymore - shows you how crazy the next generation will be :/. All the parents seem to do is park their kids in front of an electronic screen.

AL...
18-11-2012, 04:35 PM
They have started a program here called Forest school A friend of mine runs it and the kids love it.
No mater the weather they are out and havin a ball.
She came to me to learn a few wee things to teach the kids I think there should be more of this in school.
The down side is that its kinda sad that we have to teach kids how to climb a tree though.

Cheers
AL

GalaxyRider
18-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Well, no,...but people should at least have common sense when they go to an unknown place.

Well, it's all about 'Unknown Unknowns' isn't it?

If you don't know the weather will change in a blink, or a bear may jump out, you won't prepare for it. And it's no good saying they should have researched and trained for it, because they did not know it may happen! (If you follow me) The other side of the coin is some deepest darkest Aboriginal native who knows intimately all the ways of the outdoors. Put him in Sydney and he'll get run over by a bus because he has no stating reference point, my guess is no-one would say "He should have found out about buses before he came here" because he couldn't reference them to anything.

OakAshandThorn
18-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Well, it's all about 'Unknown Unknowns' isn't it?

If you don't know the weather will change in a blink, or a bear may jump out, you won't prepare for it. And it's no good saying they should have researched and trained for it, because they did not know it may happen! (If you follow me) The other side of the coin is some deepest darkest Aboriginal native who knows intimately all the ways of the outdoors. Put him in Sydney and he'll get run over by a bus because he has no stating reference point, my guess is no-one would say "He should have found out about buses before he came here" because he couldn't reference them to anything.
I see your point now. But I still think that people should have basic wilderness knowledge, which needs to be taught in schools. You are absolutely right about the unknowns.

OakAshandThorn
18-11-2012, 06:16 PM
They have started a program here called Forest school A friend of mine runs it and the kids love it.
She came to me to learn a few wee things to teach the kids I think there should be more of this in school.
The down side is that its kinda sad that we have to teach kids how to climb a tree though.

Cheers
AL
Sounds like an excellent program :D. Over here, we have "Nature's Classroom" - too bad it only lasts 3 days :(. I know the Arbor Day Foundation is working on wilderness education programs, though. I hope to see some in the future. :)
WHAT???!!! :shocked:
Ye Gods...that is sad.

Silverback
19-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Everyone has to learn somewhere, some how. You cant legislate for accidents, but you can plan for problems, education is the key.

OakAshandThorn
19-11-2012, 01:47 AM
Interesting take on my original one line of text. Good job i wasn't asking for reinforcements as we were going to advance ;)

To keep it in context and as a reminder what i actually wrote was in reply to

I would still prefer it if people didn't get lost, but they do... and as a result my colleagues and I still turn out, in all weathers, at all times, and without judgement. I prefer to leave that to the red tops and on internet fora.

In my time I have been involved in jobs from sea level to 4000ft, from professional mountaineers to the complete novice, and have even suffered the indignation of being rescued myself. Despite this I still maintain the same ethos as I did when I joined 13 years ago. I nor my peers are not there to judge, we exist to get the injured/lost party off the fell and into definitive care as soon as is humanly possible.

Everyone has to learn somewhere, some how. You cant legislate for accidents, but you can plan for problems, education is the key.
I wasn't lost in the experience I was describing; I just took too many burdens, and the terrain was quite rough in places.

Silverback
19-11-2012, 06:08 PM

Cheers
AL

I have a friend who's a forest school teacher, she says the results are amazing. That the kids have a whole new approach to learning

SimonB
19-11-2012, 07:52 PM
The trouble is... Anyone can watch Ray Mears, Bear Grylls, Myke whatever his face is with his missus... Go out and spend a small fortune on kit, then they think they can just head out into the back of beyond and do what the forementioned can do.... And very quickly come unstuck......

If they put the brain into gear, and start off in the local country park learning the basics, then after a while venture out to the more popular rural areas, where there are a fair few other walkers/ campers, just in case, then after more practice and more thinking, start thinking about going totally wild, with the knowledge their kit will cope, they know how to use it, can navigate competently, to then have the background and basic skills to look after themselves to a degree if it goes pear shaped. I know it happens to the best, but the best have more experience to make the ordeal less of a disaster until rescue turns up...

Just my two bob's worth...

ian c
19-11-2012, 08:24 PM
I totally agree with SimomB

AL...
19-11-2012, 10:13 PM
2 bob well spent! :)

Cheers
AL

CanadianMike
20-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Not that I was looking, but came across this just now, useful info for small lightweight bits and organizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX-erGPyejU&feature=g-vrec

OakAshandThorn
20-11-2012, 09:40 PM
The trouble is... Anyone can watch Ray Mears, Bear Grylls, Myke whatever his face is with his missus... Go out and spend a small fortune on kit, then they think they can just head out into the back of beyond and do what the forementioned can do.... And very quickly come unstuck......

If they put the brain into gear, and start off in the local country park learning the basics, then after a while venture out to the more popular rural areas, where there are a fair few other walkers/ campers, just in case, then after more practice and more thinking, start thinking about going totally wild, with the knowledge their kit will cope, they know how to use it, can navigate competently, to then have the background and basic skills to look after themselves to a degree if it goes pear shaped. I know it happens to the best, but the best have more experience to make the ordeal less of a disaster until rescue turns up...

Just my two bob's worth...
Dead on. T^

ADz
21-11-2012, 11:45 AM
I thought this would be an interesting thread to start. How do you pack? Do you pack heavy and put up with the weight, happy with the thought that you're prepared for anything that comes your way (a mule). Or do you prefer a light pack with only a few basics for easy walking, and put up with discomfort if something does go wrong. (e.g. it rains for the weekend and you have no change of clothes) If think I am inbetween although I like the idea of lightweight lugging more than being a mule, mainly for a bit of speed. So what's your opinion? :confused: :confused2:

I'm pretty new to the whole backpacking/wild camping scene so when I started out I didn't appreciate size/weight of things and my own lack of general fitness so purchased a load of things and packed as much as I could into a 80ltr backpack which was a big mistake. I ventured out into Yorkshire dales and soon realized how heavy my pack was and it really spoiled my trip and ended it early.

I really learned a lesson and decided to do allot of research into replacing my gear with higher quality, smaller and lighter stuff. Altogether I have spent a small fortune from beginning on my older gear and now my newer gear but I'm hoping it will be worth it and make my trips more enjoyable next year or maybe Winter if we have some snow instead of bloody rain, I don't mind snow/cold but if its wet and miserable I don't think I'll bother which is a bit of a shame as I was looking forward to trying my new down sleeping bag out.

Here is some of the main parts of my new gear..
Osprey Exos 46.
Wild Country Zephyros 1 (Hoping to get a Hilleberg Akto though).
Therm-A-Rest NeoAir
Mountain Equipment Xero 350
Optimus Crux Weekend Kit

snowleopard
29-03-2013, 01:18 PM
lightweight mule!! :jumping-joy:

Tigger004
29-03-2013, 01:24 PM
I go very lightweight myself, it's my sherpas that are like mules....lol

FishyFolk
29-03-2013, 03:42 PM
This is me and my load on my winter trips.
'nuff said me thinks:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8251/8495626580_1fdff1673d.jpg

rawfish111
29-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Always more than I need, never everything required.

OakAshandThorn
29-03-2013, 05:34 PM
I prefer to go light, but I like being "tool heavy"...if that makes sense ;).

Hopey
02-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Light weight if I can, I am yet to meet any one that likes the weight on their back, I often plan walks and hikes so I can return to the truck at the end of day to pick up overnight essentials which you might not want to carry around. But hey if I am on a long hike and no plans to return to truck,I will lug the weight around, But I only carry what will keep me warm, dry and prevent me from going hungry/thirsty.

Tigger004
02-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Did a quick lightweight outing last night, only the hammock and the clothes I was wearing, tee shirt,fleece and jacket,

Lets just say I will not be doing it again,

also some creature crashed into the hammock at about 01:30. it was well gone by the time the shock had faded and I grabbed a torch, so no idea what it was....Solo camp didn't seem such a good idea either! :shocked:

Silverback
02-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Welcome to the forum Hopey, why dont you drop by the intros thread and say hi ?

That bad tigs ?

Kit Mac
02-06-2013, 09:44 PM
I think the lightweight approach is a good one to adopt in general but it depends on what you want to achieve. I tried the whole 'ultra-light' thing for a while but you can only get so far before it becomes a case of "Carry less by spending more".

Still I really try and pare my kitlist down to a bare minimum but allowing for a few little luxuries.

The words Just in case have alot to answer for :D!

Silverback
02-06-2013, 09:50 PM
The words Just in case have alot to answer for :D!

yup many a sleepless night, or wet, windy slog for folks like me....

Kit Mac
02-06-2013, 09:54 PM
yup many a sleepless night, or wet, windy slog for folks like me....

Lol, me too. The first pack I bought was a Web-tex Ultimax, and I could happily fill it. 135 litres of pure misery.

Silverback
02-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Lol, me too. The first pack I bought was a Web-tex Ultimax, and I could happily fill it. 135 litres of pure misery.

I was thinking more along the lines of the many times I and others like me have had to turn out of our warm beds at the sound of the pager, into sh*tty weather for those who didnt say 'just in case'...because they werent prepared at all or took far too much of the wrong kit, or had the kit but couldnt use it

Kit Mac
02-06-2013, 10:05 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of the many times I and others like me have had to turn out of our warm beds at the sound of the pager, into sh*tty weather for those who didnt say 'just in case'

Perhaps I should clarify, I always take what I need to be safe (even on a day hike I'd carry an insulating layer, FAK, torch, survival bivvi and some sort of emergency food). I meant more along the lines of multiple changes of clothes, spare knives, extra cooking utensils etc.
I guess your in a SAR team? I have the upmost respect for you guys.

Tigger004
02-06-2013, 10:06 PM
That bad tigs ?

I will be going out plenty but with more stuff.

Silverback
02-06-2013, 10:13 PM
I will be going out plenty but with more stuff.

T^

ian c
02-06-2013, 11:09 PM
I like all my just in case bits an bobs and it has been said that any fool can be cold wet an miserable and I am not one of them, I even take a tarp when I go fishing as well as my waterproofs.

Silverback
02-06-2013, 11:38 PM
i guess your in a sar team?

mrt....

Wardy
03-06-2013, 08:06 AM
I like lightweight even when the car is close by I prefer to get everything in 1 bag, although I'm always trying to make things lighter!

Silverback
03-06-2013, 10:09 AM
theres light...and theres setting off to walk the Pennine Way with an AA road map, a blue poly tarp and a tin of sardines..between 3 !!

shepherd
03-06-2013, 12:15 PM
lol... i try to be light but always end up being a heavyweight... but compared to some of my previous kits im very lightweight at the mo

Kernowek Scouser
04-06-2013, 01:00 PM
I think the biggest hindrance to going lightweight, responsibly, in this country, is our very changeable weather.

Ultra lightweight backpacking seems to be very much an American trend and, according to a mate with more knowledge of meteorology than I, it is a trend aided by less changeable weather patterns. That isn't to say the weather doesn't change in the states and they never get caught out, but being a significantly larger land mass, when you get inland from the coast and away from the great lakes, apparently forecast accuracy increases quite dramatically. And if you are planning a night or two out, having confidence in a weather forecast indicating a couple of days of dry and warm weather, would allow you to leave the bulk of your cold and wet weather gear at home, without endangering yourself or anyone sent out to find you. Something, even at the height of summer in Britain, you do only if you enjoy waking up cold, wet and half dead.

As many above have said. I'm always looking for affordable lighter weight kit options (and slowly but surely, I'm finding them), but I don't think I'll be risking Dartmoor any time soon, without enough gear to cope with four seasons in one day, whatever the weight of that kit may be.

But, each to their own.

El
04-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Good thread!
I got to the stage where I said.."am I really going to use this (insert item here)
I have my different packs for a days hike, over nighter ,few days and season makes a difference ect so I pack accordingly, one knife does me..I am very careful not to lose it,and I dont abuse it, most of my kit is army surplus so quite heavy I guess compared to Gucci kit available, I know you suppose to prepare for the worse ect ,but the kind of hiking and camping I do Tigers and hurricanes aint a problem. The saying one is none two is one ect..seems to get taken to the extreame I think, If I dont use something..I am not packing it . I take extreme care with the kit I take , and always pre-plan what I am taking plus do a little check list to make sure it actually gets packed ( learned the hard way)

Silverback
04-06-2013, 06:43 PM
some things you should always pack......knowing you hope you dont have to use them.....FAK for instance...yup good thread

ADz
04-06-2013, 06:46 PM
some things you should always pack......knowing you hope you dont have to use them.....FAK for instance...yup good thread

Indeed. Same principle as a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it, then need it and not have one. :)

Silverback
04-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Indeed. Same principle as a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it, then need it and not have one. :)

Don't need condoms......been neutered....and I am faithful

Kernowek Scouser
04-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Don't need condoms......been neutered....and I am faithful
The threat of neutering is enough to keep me faithful :shocked:

You can tie yourself in knots pondering what to take 'just in case' and as mentioned, there are certain items you should take, but hope not to use, the prime example being an appropriate FAK. But I do believe if you have been camping out for a reasonable length of time, in woods, on mountains and moors, taken a battering from the elements and come home smiling; then there comes a point where you can err less on the side of caution, taking bits of kit for every eventuality and instead put more faith in your own experience, skill and ability to deal with the unexpected, with tried and tested, multi function, core kit.

But each to their own.

Silverback
04-06-2013, 08:49 PM
and instead put more faith in your own experience, skill and ability to deal with the unexpected, with tried and tested, multi function, core kit.

Knowlege weighs nothing T^

suggy
04-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Trying to strip things down weight-wise seems to come down to taking less clothing and filtering your own water I'm finding. My stuff is quite lightish at the moment but comfy ! I could reduce some weight here and there but its a balancing act. If I wish continue, Lose 1kg for the sake of losing 5 hundred quid ?

Stay dry, sleep comfortable, eat and drink well. No need for hardship ! find your own weight ! whatever suits you ! Enjoy the outdoors ! :)

FishyFolk
04-06-2013, 09:35 PM
The problem for me is not so much the weight of things, it's the bulk that is the problem. Artcic sleeping bags are enourmous, specially when the climate dictates artificial fibres over down. And most of my clothes are also volume huggers. So I am not really carrying som much weight...mostly it's just air that fills the bergan. Some can be overcome with a good compressions sack. But I still need perhaps a 100 liter bergan to carry my load.

jus_young
04-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Hi.

My name is Justin and I am a lightweight junkee.

:ashamed:

Silverback
04-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Hi.

My name is Justin and I am a lightweight junkee.

:ashamed:

at least you're not a purist evangelist....

jus_young
04-06-2013, 11:56 PM
at least you're not a purist evangelist....

That just sounds scary!

beermaker
05-06-2013, 12:09 AM
definitely a mule, I want to know I'm ready for whatever comes my way. I don't even get on my motorbike to go to work without two knives, a folding saw, a good length of paracord, a hobo stove and billy, five types of tinder and some fuel, rations and drinks sachets. The car permanently has an army trenching tool (a proper one, not one of those cheap tinny things) survival bag, water, kelly kettle, fuel, tinder, teabags, parang, warm coat, change of clothes, tarp, bits and bobs bag, trolley jack and in it. Whilst I agree that possessing the knowledge to survive with nothing is admirable in the extreme, I also think there is little or no excuse for going out unprepared if you had the option to be prepared in the first place. SAR teams, RNLI teams and the air ambulances are mostly volunteers and are funded by charitable donations - it should be our responsibility to take all reasonable precautions before heading out into the outdoors because if we a**e up out there, not only are we messing with our own safety, we're messing with other peoples safety too who are coming out to help us.

I'll get off me soap box now! Most of that comes from my sailing anyway - too many idiots who have no experience taking boats out on the North Sea and having to call out the RNLI to bail them out of the cr*p!

Ferrell freddy
05-06-2013, 07:07 PM
I prefer to do as light as possible, fortunately work dictates that if required I could go either way, literally just the essential stuff or going back a few years with 120lb trudging over dartmoor! If I'm doing something for training in a "survival" type scenario I prefer to have as little as possible to ensure I put more effort into using my surroundings. Though carrying the weight when that situation dictates I can be sure my body and legs will be able to put up with it :)

TreefrogGB
18-06-2013, 12:34 PM
I've been known to carry up to 20kg of ultra lightweight equipment. :D

Tigger004
18-06-2013, 12:50 PM

:happy-clapping:

Kernowek Scouser
18-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Good one
T^

roberts
26-07-2013, 04:43 PM
MULE yes I have to admit to being a mule not because I talk lots but it always seem to be heavy as I like my old army sleeping bag I know its heavy (3kg) but it suites me as I don't have to worry about throwing it about or burning it , I have a to mug and spark but prefer to use a old Austrian army kfs its much nicer to eat with a knife and fork then I think everything else is quite light as long as were not counting my karrimor 75 for long trips

roberts
26-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Last I needed one and didn't have one I was eighteen and look where that got me , now I have something in common with the cat .

sausage100uk
26-07-2013, 10:20 PM
my fak weighs over a kg! sutures, glue, steri strips, analgesics, anti diarrhoea tabs, saline pouches, rehydration pouches, bandages, needles, np airways, magills forceps, tourniquet, maybe I'm just over cautious

Midge_Fodder
20-02-2014, 01:43 AM
Depends, lightweight if I'm on my own......... And I seem to be the packhorse when I'm in a group.

susannewilliams
22-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Light!

6-7kg including food and water.

That's with a sleeping bag and a stove and all and all.

In the summer.... it's a belt.

http://youtu.be/QGs16Ei3yjw

midas
22-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Thats great!!Sue..Better than "Batman n Robins Utility belt!"lol..Love your videos!!

susannewilliams
24-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Thats great!!Sue..Better than "Batman n Robins Utility belt!"lol..Love your videos!!

I like to be comfy...

Haha...

:-)

-Tim-
25-07-2014, 12:48 PM
I'm a pack mule I'm afraid, well my canoe and my camper van are :)

If I were to go back packing again I would go a hell-ov-a lot lighter.....

Cheers
Tim

1jack1pike
29-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Hummm, I used to be a mule... truth be told there was never much in the pack but whatever was in there it was heavy!!!

Slowly reducing the weight, my problem is cost, I would love to go out and buy all the super light weight kit but I cant - sad face!
I think I am slowly developing a happy medium but saving weight where I can. I think the biggest weight saving I made was just the other day and not take water - well thats not true, but rather than taking 3+ L I got a water filter and now only take 1 or 2L.

1jack1pike :D

suggy
29-07-2014, 07:44 PM
+ 1 for the water filter for reducing your pack weight!

1jack1pike
29-07-2014, 09:06 PM
+ 1 for the water filter for reducing your pack weight!

Thanks :D I used to fill my 3L bladder to the top then take a "emergency" 1L bottle - I found I rarely drink more than 2L and that includes a few cups of coffee. So thats what I carry. Have a err Water bottle filter thing (you whack the water in and 15 mins later walah!) and a sawyer mini as my main "I have ran out of water oops" sort of thing. It means I have to be more careful managing my water, filling up when I have the chance but I believe in a climate like England you will never be further than an hour or two from water.

Silverback
29-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Must admit going for a walk has been much nicer since I was able to ditch 10kg of 'routine' gear from my sac

1jack1pike
29-07-2014, 11:39 PM
Hi sapper -what did you ditch? or did you swap for lighter? If you dont mind me being nosey :P

Silverback
29-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Ditched the compulsory helmet, harness, ironwork, rope, medical kit and other associated stuff I needed in SAR ;) Now I only walk for pleasure and its very nice