PDA

View Full Version : fly fishing anyone?

Aaron Rushton
08-05-2011, 01:20 PM
hi all,
well i'm currently fly fishing on a strech of the taff near gabalfa. lately the taff has been pretty dead which is sad as this time 2 years ago you were garunteed trout and grayling in some places. but finally i've found somewhere where there are still reasonable sized fish. in 3 trips i've caught one sewin (13") hooked a nicer trout but lost it, my dad has caught a 10" sewin and lost a much larger one. they are tricky fish to catch as there are plenty of rises but they are very spooky and reluctant to take. but this is good going for the taff as lately (as i've said) it's been dead in most places. the taff, even with the occasional shopping trolley or car engine providing shelter for the fish, is still a beautiful place, with herons and kingfishers, fast sections and big deep pools. theres also a lovely family of mink, and yes i know i'm suipposed to ahte them2 and they do massive damage to the fish stocks, but theres a family of them and it's lovely to watch the little black pups chase eachother and playfight on the bank. there are plenty of hatches going on with mayflies and small duns as well. the fishing dosent really pick up until about 19:00 but when it does you can watch the trout come up and take flies from the surface from the bank. if anyone wants to fish this strech they of course need a rod licence, and you can pick up a £5 day ticket from gary evans fishing tackle shop. there will probably be one of the regulars down there, or me even!
ATB13501353134913511352

Aaron.

Ben Casey
08-05-2011, 04:56 PM
It looks really nice there :)

ChristerM
13-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Looks good!! :)

happybonzo
13-05-2012, 11:08 PM
£5 a day for fishing like that is very reasonable. Heaven knows what it costs to fish Aberaeron these days. Just up the road is Aberarth though and the fishing used to be free. You still needed a rod licence though...

When I was fishing for Sewin on a regular basis, I found that a deep ledgered worm was best :)
I remember the first Sewin I caught. The late Mrs Bonzo fried it up and put it on top of four bits of toast...
Not quite as bad as the Salmon that my Father caught though. His Landlady fried it in batter for him.

SilverBinder
27-06-2013, 09:09 AM
i pay almost that much to go on a fishing pier and more if you buy their beer! Fly fishing is for the most part free her in Texas - if you have your own boat or don't mind walking a long way. I fish mostly in salt water but on walk about I carry a fly rod and flies for sunfish and bass.