PDA

View Full Version : Dying a wool blanket

Adam Savage
05-05-2011, 05:55 PM
I was given an old wool blanket, large enough to cover a double bed, the other day. It dates from the 70s, so (as usual) it was blaze orange, not a very bushcrafty colour. I decided to dye it, using a small tin of Dylon number 7 (coffee) to bring the tone down a little. This old stuff posed a problem, as it requires the fabric to be brought to a simmer for 10 minutes. Out came the old wheel barrow, off came the frame, and in went some nuts n bolts to fill the holes. Next, out came the campingaz twin burner and bottle....you can see where this is going can't you?...followed the instructions of the dye, brought the whole lot to a simmer for ten minutes, while stirring, and hey presto...terracotta blanket. Least it's better than bright orange.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/04052011617.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/04052011615.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/04052011616.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/04052011614.jpg

Ben Casey
05-05-2011, 06:06 PM
I could of done with you on Ecers for my Dobby LOL

Adam Savage
05-05-2011, 06:10 PM
I could of done with you on Ecers for my Dobby LOL

LOL, I will have to try making a curry in it at some point hahaha

Ben Casey
05-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Hey wait till I get over then LOL

Ivan
05-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Oi !! you better bring that thing to the meet for the stew , i have been looking all over for a 20gal cooking pot , and if that blanket dries out in time bring that n'all

Adam Savage
05-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Oi !! you better bring that thing to the meet for the stew , i have been looking all over for a 20gal cooking pot , and if that blanket dries out in time bring that n'all

The blanket dried out the same day, I'm planning on sleeping under it when I build the shelter. I'll have to start a thread of the blanket roll and kit inside it.

CanadianMike
05-05-2011, 07:58 PM
THe wool blanket shirt I made was a light grey material, I died it black (trying to get it to be a darkish grey)....................

and it came our purple!!!!!! No matter what I used after (two packs of dye, less water, even tried black waterbased leather dye) it hasn't changed the colour at all!! Now when I wear it I feel like the Joker. :(

Lol

Adam Savage
05-05-2011, 08:01 PM
THe wool blanket shirt I made was a light grey material, I died it black (trying to get it to be a darkish grey)....................

and it came our purple!!!!!! No matter what I used after (two packs of dye, less water, even tried black waterbased leather dye) it hasn't changed the colour at all!! Now when I wear it I feel like the Joker. :(

Lol

LOL, you can buy a color stripper over here, that's meant to remove previous dye, Not sure of it works or not though lol.

Ben Casey
05-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Bleech it white and start again :D

Adam Savage
05-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Bleech it white and start again :D

Dylon won't adhere to bleached areas

Ben Casey
05-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Dylon won't adhere to bleached areas

Erm ok what about if he mixed say a lighter colur and got ot black hang on I will google it :)

Martin
05-05-2011, 08:14 PM

Lol

Good for clowning around in the wilderness though. :D

Martin

Ben Casey
05-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Just found this http://www.codedivasites.com/dyepro/black_&_grey.html :) Hi Martn :D

Adam Savage
05-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Just found this http://www.codedivasites.com/dyepro/black_&_grey.html :) Hi Martn :D

Useful link. So tangerine is the way to go. Would other citris fruits work? :p

Ben Casey
05-05-2011, 09:34 PM
I prefer strawberries and cream :D

CanadianMike
05-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Used the same dye remover brand as the dye, it stayed a medium purple, and after all my dying attempts, it's a dark purple. But in some lights it looks like charcoal gray. Go figure, eh? Blame it on the hollow fibers that wool is made from (and what makes it such a kick ass material!)

Adam Savage
06-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Used the same dye remover brand as the dye, it stayed a medium purple, and after all my dying attempts, it's a dark purple. But in some lights it looks like charcoal gray. Go figure, eh? Blame it on the hollow fibers that wool is made from (and what makes it such a kick ass material!)

Long as it does it's job, all is well. Even looking like a jester, least the ladies will be happy to share body heat under a purple throw haha

Ben Casey
06-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Long as it does it's job, all is well. Even looking like a jester, least the ladies will be happy to share body heat under a purple throw haha

You could always take the Prince CD with you and play Purple Rain LOL

Martin
06-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Or, become the masked bushcrafter and call yourself the Purple Pimpernell??

Martin

CanadianMike
06-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Lol!!!

Martin
06-05-2011, 12:33 PM
It's no good. We need pictures of this purple cloak. Complete with mask please Mike. ;)

Martin

Adam Savage
06-05-2011, 12:40 PM
It's no good. We need pictures of this purple cloak. Complete with mask please Mike. ;)

Martin

I fear someone might be showing some kind of hidden...erm...interests, in this thread...LOL

CanadianMike
06-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Lol, well, I could dig it out of the closet and take a pic of it's purpleness, but I won't be getting much chance to wear it til we get out camping for a weekend.

Ben Casey
06-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Lol, well, I could dig it out of the closet and take a pic of it's purpleness, but I won't be getting much chance to wear it til we get out camping for a weekend.

Come on mate get dressed up for us :D

CanadianMike
06-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Nah, fake pics like that drive me nuts, reminds me of a lot of airsofters that'll get dressed up with their fancy gear, guns, and pose in front of the bathroom mirror. Lol, I'd rather just have random pics taken of me instead of me standing there looking like a fool taking a pic of myself. :)

Ben Casey
06-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Shame on you :(

Norseman
29-10-2011, 09:13 PM
I dont know if Your orange blanket shrinked, but for those of You who wants to try, the recipy for coloring is to heat it slowly until boiling , then slowly cool it again. Those Dylon people say that make shrinkage less likely. Just a little info.

Adam Savage
30-10-2011, 06:42 AM
I dont know if Your orange blanket shrinked, but for those of You who wants to try, the recipy for coloring is to heat it slowly until boiling , then slowly cool it again. Those Dylon people say that make shrinkage less likely. Just a little info.

Luckily the size of the blanket and the method I used to heat it, meant the temperature rise was very slow. I also let it dry completely naturally too, so didn't get any shrinkage. Thanks for the info Norseman. Would imagine it's completely correct, but as I have never tried a fast method, couldn't say 100%. It makes sense though, as most wool shrinks if you get it too hot, too quickly.

Adam

bikebum1975
31-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Cool idea did you ever get the thread with your gear done?

If I recall I do believe bleach and wool is a no no

Adam Savage
31-10-2011, 07:41 PM
I'll start a thread soon, with the hole blanket roll setup. I need to make a video for youtube anyway, I just forgot completely about it until recently lol.

I've heard bleach isn't great for a lot of fabrics, but wool is probably the worst to try it with :)

bikebum1975
31-10-2011, 07:42 PM
I'll start a thread soon, with the hole blanket roll setup. I need to make a video for youtube anyway, I just forgot completely about it until recently lol.

I've heard bleach isn't great for a lot of fabrics, but wool is probably the worst to try it with :)

Cool look forward to it Cheers