PDA

View Full Version : Thermarests

Sleepy
02-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Ive just been away for the weekend with a girl who's heavily into walking and so has all sorts of lightweight and/or small kit. Most of mines the same sort of stuff but, without thinking about it, I took an air bed like normal when I'm in a car (as opposed to carrying it).

The mocking that resulted from being such a softie has convinced me that I need a thermarest style mattress before I go again. Doesn't have to be an official thermarest (very pricey) but needs to be made to last and comfortable enough to serve it's purpose better than a foam roll mat (those days are gone!) I see vango have some at a much more reasonable price but I know nothing about these mats so I'm after any tips or advice on buying one please.

Fletching
02-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Sleeping mats are much like boots in that you've got to try one before you think you're going to be comfortable using it. I can vouch for the Thermarests, but not for any cheaper versions, so see if you can find one inflated in a store and don't be afraid to have a lie down on it. Even stick a few lumpy things underneath to see how it deals with that. At the moment I'm using an Exped Down Mat 7 (http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_int.nsf/0/E9747A9C9CD626BCC1256F2B00296698?opendocument) which s the most comfortable thing I've ever slept on (including my bed at home!), but they're even more pricey than the Thermarests.

Hope this helps. :)

Steve

happybonzo
02-05-2011, 08:12 AM
I have a Thermorest but when it gives up I shall get a replacement from ALPKIT (http://www.alpkit.com/). I don't think that the Thermorest was worth the money that it cost as I have tried the Alpkit mats and they seemed just as good.
I was once told by some people in the Outdoor Pursuits trade that VauDe and Thermorest were made in the same factory side by side. I don't know if this true or not but that was what I was told

jus_young
02-05-2011, 10:25 AM
The things we do for the opposite sex. It even affects our bushcrafting!

I have purchased a thermarest as a replacement for the old foam matress just to try and reduce my pack size. I am not going to get a chance to use it until the Scout camp in two weeks time so should be interesting if I don't get on with it.

Ben Casey
02-05-2011, 10:31 AM
I'd get a new girlfriend and save some money LOL Na just messing :D

Martin
02-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Thermarest Neoair!!! It's both comfortable and has 'Hill Cred'. Oh, it's a bit pricey though. :(

Martin

Sleepy
02-05-2011, 01:12 PM
See, that's my main problem - IF I could be sure it'd be getting plenty of use, I wouldn't have a problem with the £80 odd price tag but, for all I know this may be the only year it gets used - I might be too busy home building and starting a family after that (fingers crossed, she is a pretty awsome o/h).

Looks like I may have a trip to an outdoor shop soon (never good for the wallet - marginally better than a trip to the gun shop though).

Beckster
02-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Just used my Thermarest on a trip to Arran. Only problem is that it's a three quarter length and plays havoc with my back (auld age disn'y come itself!!!) so I'll need to invest in a new one - Alpkit is cheap so I'll maybe try that.

Roadkillphil
02-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Lidls are doing a cheapo version this week, not sure if this is a nationwide deal or how durable it will be.
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//SID-8B580803-97712302/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=20382&ar2=6&id=937&country=GB&zipcode=Newquay&city=Cornwall&district=TR7+2BB&street=Treloggan+Road&ar=6&nf=True

I have a couple of 3/4 length Thermarests purchased in 1998 and used lots. With only one hole in one mat, they've stood up well. I've recently started playing with hammocks and wanted something wider to wrap myself in so I made my own rollmat out of a few layers of laminate flooring insulation and duct tape :D

All the best

Phil

bigzee
02-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Look at the website of go outdoors (gooutdoors.co.uk) they send us a periodic flyer and I saw one recently that featured what you're after, made (I think) by HI Gear normally £20 on offer @£10. sorry I think we chucked it out but try the website - they're usually pretty good on price, but the nearest branch would be loogabarooga unless you got it online.

How about the obvious shops in Lindum ie: Yeomans (high st.), Blacks (steep hill) or Linsports (clasketgate/Silverstreet-ish). Decathlon sports at the Ikea park (A610 Nottingham) used to have a good selection of cheaper alternatives, with differing thicknesses.

Peaks
02-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Hi,
Can recommend the Alpkit inflating matresses. Reasonable price, well made, great service. With a dodgy back I still use a cut down foam mat underneath too.Might not have hill cred, but warm comfy and can walk the next day too!

Sleepy
03-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Look at the website of go outdoors (gooutdoors.co.uk) they send us a periodic flyer and I saw one recently that featured what you're after, made (I think) by HI Gear normally £20 on offer @£10. sorry I think we chucked it out but try the website - they're usually pretty good on price, but the nearest branch would be loogabarooga unless you got it online.

How about the obvious shops in Lindum ie: Yeomans (high st.), Blacks (steep hill) or Linsports (clasketgate/Silverstreet-ish). Decathlon sports at the Ikea park (A610 Nottingham) used to have a good selection of cheaper alternatives, with differing thicknesses.

I thought linsports went a good 10yrs ago!? I keep hearing about this Decathlon place too so maybe it's time I went for a look!

Yeah, saw the go outdoors advert last night, if I lived closer to one I'd go for a look but I'm leaning towards the vango trek mat which are about £20 - anyone tried one? They get good write ups, I've yet to see anything bad said about it, so might give one a go and move on to something more expensive if it looks like it'd be worth doing.

Sleepy
08-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Went for the alpkit in the end, but got the dirtbag bucause I'm unlikely to be carrying it far - that's just as well though as I underestimated it's packed size (not far off that of the old foam mats!).

Looking forward to trying it out now!

CanadianMike
08-05-2011, 04:44 AM
I just bought one of these:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/SleepingPads/PRDOVR~0762404P/ObusForme%252526%252523153%252BSelf-Inflating%252BSleeping%252BPad%25252C%252B20%252Bx %252B72-in.jsp?locale=en

So far, so good (on the hardwood floor), not sure exactly if it needs constant inflating/deflating to get the best out of it, seems the third time I inflated it it got thicker, and also blew some air into it and that improved the comfort as well (the zip up cover is kinda chinsy though, zipper is cheap and is easily split when trying to put on). Bought it since I have a "camping"/fishing trip coming up this week with a co-worker and his buddies, so decided to splurge on a decent self inflating pad. Will let you know how it works out when I actually have to use it! Also got a vibrating bean-bag travel pillow, see how that works out too. :)

I know, I know, I'm as bad as Martin....... sheesh! At least I plan to use my wool blankets for this trip, my one sleeping bag is damned big and needs a wash, the other two I bought last year for the girls are mummy style, and I'm taking one just in case (compact), but hate the idea of having my feet tied together, I'm a side/stomach sprawler while sleeping.