PDA

View Full Version : River Usk Walk, Abergavenny, Wales

paul standley
26-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Had a busy easter weekend with family and gardening so decided to take off for a few hours on Monday and went to check out a stretch of the river Usk that is about 40 minutes drive from me.

Ian first put me onto this stretch for trout fishing (called the Mardy beat) with day tickets so wanted to walk it and see what is was like.

It was a fantastic afternoon and the river Usk here is in great condition with a lot of trout rising and jumping along the whole stretch of approx 1 mile so I was in my element...!

Spent ages watching a Heron feeding on a gravel beach where the water flow narrows over a run. It was so engrossed in fishing he didn't see me for ages. Only had the phone camera with me so couldn't get a decent photo as it was too far away but it was great to see.

also saw a bird I haven't seen before and don't know what it was yet, need to look it up later.

Found two large fallen willows and have been looking for a piece for the hearth of my bow drill so I'll be sure get a couple of branch pieces when I go back. (didn't have any means of cutting it this time around).

It's days like this when I'm reminded how lucky I am to live so close to countryside like this.... need to utilise it more really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SXKBuFUzEU&feature=youtube_gdata

Paul.

Woodwose
28-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Is that you singing Paul? :wink: looks a beautiful area.

Ben Casey
28-04-2011, 11:20 AM
What a place made for dreams lucky guy :)

fish
28-04-2011, 12:01 PM
great vid,love the somg. ive fished the wye before very similar river,i hear theres a nice sewin run up the usk!

Aaron Rushton
28-04-2011, 01:10 PM
great video, i've only ever fished on the usk twice, on free days down from the chain bridge. both times i caught one small salmon parr but it's great that there in the river. my dad has been trying to get me out fishing again, as he needs some time on the river too, but my waders are too small!

edit- i think i can spot a few small rises around 2:30. good sign!

GwersyllaCnau
28-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Great photos Paul.

paul standley
29-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Trout were rising all afternoon.

On that Mardy beat are some good Sewin according to a regular fisherman I met by the river during my walk.

My own singing is a bit rusty so I let Marty Wilde do most of the work... :ashamed: