PDA

View Full Version : 29th April?

bigzee
21-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Hands up everyone who's actually going to sit at home or in a street party watching "the wedding" next friday.

I'm not a roundhead or anything, and thanks for the day off by the way,but royal wedddings are a bit like National Trust country houses - if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all.

Bearing in mind the good weather forecast, I'd be interested in whether anyone's got different plans for this bonus day off?

PS ...eeerrr...this doesn't constitute treason does it? (Martin?)

Martin
21-04-2011, 05:10 PM
lol, I'll be on Dartmoor. :)

Martin

bigzee
21-04-2011, 05:21 PM
lol, I'll be on Dartmoor. :)

Martin
Good for you mate! ...oh and ..eerr..god save the Queen.

chris grace
21-04-2011, 05:25 PM
I actually went to a wedding once,I didn't enjoy it so I'm beggared if I'm going to watch one on the tv when I could be outside.

jbrown14
21-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Gotta be at my brother-in-law's wedding the next day, gotta be at work the day of (oddly enough, they didn't declare a national day off here in the States)...looks like the live stream on You Tube will begin around 5:00 a.m. my time...so...sadly, I'll probably go about my regularly scheduled life. Ha!

Hope Will's evening goes better than this chap's (http://s879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/?action=view&current=fake_women.mp4).

Martin
21-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Josh, if you're going to your brother-in-law's wedding, doesn't that mean that you're going to your sister's wedding as well? Or, do these things work differently in the states?

Martin

jbrown14
21-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Ha! I can see the confusion working in your head all the way from over the pond, Martin. Things only work "differently" in that regard down in the Southern states and in the hills of Kentucky. :D

It's my wife's brother getting married; to a lovely young lady who my kids adore and I have no idea why she could want to marry my geek of a brother-in-law, but we're very happy for them both. :D

You'll have to give me the W an' K update as my mind will be on not forgetting the lyrics to the songs, not skipping my fingers too poorly over the piano keys, and not tripping on my way out down the aisle.

Josh

Martin
21-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Ha! I can see the confusion working in your head all the way from over the pond, Martin. Things only work "differently" in that regard down in the Southern states and in the hills of Kentucky. :D

It's my wife's brother getting married; to a lovely young lady who my kids adore and I have no idea why she could want to marry my geek of a brother-in-law, but we're very happy for them both. :D

You'll have to give me the W an' K update as my mind will be on not forgetting the lyrics to the songs, not skipping my fingers too poorly over the piano keys, and not tripping on my way out down the aisle.

Josh

Ah... that was a combination I hadn't considered. Hope you all have a great time and I'm sure it will be far more interesting, and a whole lot more fun, that the forthcoming Windsor nuptials. ;)

Martin

basicbushcraft
21-04-2011, 07:29 PM
i will be away in scotland in the middle of a forest thinking what to do next lol

bigzee
21-04-2011, 08:00 PM
i will be away in scotland in the middle of a forest thinking what to do next lol
Scotland!!! - a civilized country and my spiritual home!
What part of the great land will you be in (not Balmoral - watching telly through Liz's back window are you?)

basicbushcraft
21-04-2011, 09:37 PM
i will be aberdeenshire as i own some woodland up there

swkieran
21-04-2011, 09:53 PM
not me bigzee lol,im not a royalist :),i think the whole thing is a waste of the countrys money,id soona it being spent on schools,hospitals etc.Now if they were to ask me to toast and celebrate britain and its people id be more than happy to :),but i dont beleive in the heirachy and privalige of a minority,over the majority of millions of people.anyway enough said now :)

jbrown14
22-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Now THAT's a worthy endeavour! Maybe before I die I'll get over there and visit the old homeland...

Land of my high endeavour,
Land of the shining river,
Land of my heart for ever, Scotland the brave!

Metal mug
23-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Have you seen the New Zealand royal wedding stamps? They're so funny.

GwersyllaCnau
23-04-2011, 07:58 AM
I'm going palatial poshcrafting in my tupperware marque to Tenby

Woodwose
28-04-2011, 08:48 AM
I’ll probably be stuck in contraflows and log jams on the A1, M1, M42 and the M5.

bigzee
28-04-2011, 07:55 PM
I’ll probably be stuck in contraflows and log jams on the A1, M1, M42 and the M5.
Or you could stop off at the Yorkshire dales,the Peak district,The Malverns,The Shropshire hills,the Brecon Beacons,or the Black mountains on the way???

Jeime_outdoors
28-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I live in Laurencekirk, what woodland do you own? :D

Woodwose
28-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Or you could stop off at the Yorkshire dales,the Peak district,The Malverns,The Shropshire hills,the Brecon Beacons,or the Black mountains on the way???

What!!! and miss out on the longest street party in England :D

jus_young
28-04-2011, 08:11 PM
I shall be painting the bathroom. Even that will probably be more interesting than watching the wedding!

jbrown14
29-04-2011, 02:23 AM
I'll now be cleaning up brush and picking up rubbish in a local park for "Earth Day" which was actually last weekend. It's all organized by my employer, and my boss will be there, but we're supposed to be released from duty early in the afternoon, so I'll be spending the remaining hours of the day fishing for rainbow trout at a lovely lake a few miles from my home. (I was thinking about it the other day, I work for a British corporation in the US, and we don't have the day off...seems a bit hypocritical to me.)

All the best to all of you, and enjoy the day, however you'll be spending it.

Josh

swkieran
29-04-2011, 08:47 AM
josh there are people in this country who wont be getting time off aswell,and are not even geting double time or triple time pay,like i said further up this wedding should not be paid for out of my tax money,should be spent on our boys and girls in alfghanistan,on soldiers who come back injured,hospitals,schools etc etc.rant over like lol:)

Ben Casey
29-04-2011, 09:00 AM
josh there are people in this country who wont be getting time off aswell,and are not even geting double time or triple time pay,like i said further up this wedding should not be paid for out of my tax money,should be spent on our boys and girls in alfghanistan,on soldiers who come back injured,hospitals,schools etc etc.rant over like lol:)

Hi Mate in someways I agree with you we should spend a lot more on all our guys in all the different countries they are in (Some are places that never get in the news). But as a ex Squad I made my oath to the queen and think we should celebrate this to some extent but the amount of TV coverage is doing my head in :(
Anyway just putting my little bit in :)

swkieran
29-04-2011, 11:41 AM
i think Johnny Cash - Man in Black song sums it up.

jus_young
29-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Confession time - I watched the wedding! I had no intention of doing it and I had loads of jobs that needed my attention including trying to stow the rest of the camping gear after the RV but I got sidetracked and watched the whole ceremony, it was the wifes fault as she thought that the kids should have a better awareness of Royalty, an element that seems to be lacking very much within education these days. I have to admit that there was an element of overkill to the coverage but somehow it was different this time and I actually enjoyed it. It will be interesting to see how things will progress in the near future with regards to the Monarchy. It is an institution and one I think should be upheld.

Any way, mumble over as another glass of vintage organic still cider is calling me and no, I have not been celebrating all day.

jbrown14
30-04-2011, 04:07 AM

I'm right there with you on that train of thought. I was speaking with a couple of co-workers today and drawing a parallel between this wedding and perhaps the daughter of our president getting married. It may be reported in the news, but dominating the press for weeks before and bringing "reporters" (more like sensationalst-rag-gossip-writers) from this country over there in droves, just doesn't compute with me. It's just a wedding. Nothing more, nothing less. Be happy for them that they found each other, wish them well, but revelling in the streets and a full-on booze-up? I guess some people will take any excuse they can get, but seriously people...get a grip on reality.

Hey, I caught a bass today. Largemouth, only about 10", got a couple of small fillets off it. I found out later that it wasn't in season and was under the legal limit for size, so...oops, that's one on me. I'll carry my regs book next time and keep it kosher...

All the best!

Josh

Ben Casey
30-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Hey, I caught a bass today. Largemouth, only about 10", got a couple of small fillets off it. I found out later that it wasn't in season and was under the legal limit for size, so...oops, that's one on me. I'll carry my regs book next time and keep it kosher...

Hey mate chuffed to bits you caught a Bass lets get back to bushcrafty things :)

bigzee
30-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Well...I was intending to be completely indifferent towards the royal do, and set about cleaning the house, however....when I caught sight of a tasty brunette (and sister) scrubbed-up and nicely presented on TV ...I err...kind of lost interest in cleaning.

It might amuse you to hear that I quite easily managed to convince my 9yo daughter and her mate, that Will and Kate were honeymooning in a caravan at Skegness. Keeping a straight face I said "you know - on one of those big sprawling caravan parks - in a little two berth one". Her mate said "ohh yes I know", and my girl looks at her mate and said with much excitement "hey...that's not far from here....WE COULD GO AND SEE THEM!!!"

Tut tut -cruel daddy!

jbrown14
30-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Hey mate chuffed to bits you caught a Bass lets get back to bushcrafty things :)

Thanks, Ben. I'm looking forward to getting a few more maybe a little bigger than her and having a nice dinner. I was out trolling this past Sunday and came home with fillets from two 18" brown trout and one 17" atlantic salmon. Had the salmon on Monday night, absolutely melted in my mouth, and I've frozen the rest for later. Can't wait to get out with my twins and get them ruffling the water, then roast the fish over hardwood coals...mmmm.