PDA

View Full Version : Coghlan's Pack Axe

JEEP
13-04-2011, 09:03 PM
http://www.noodzaken.nl/images/381160-coghlans-pack-axe-handbijltje.jpg

http://www.coghlans.com/products/pack-axe-1160

I ordered one of these from our main supplier of outdoor goods, for no other reason than that it looks interesting and it is quite cheap.

My expectations were quite low. But, having tested it at this evenings scout meeting, I must admit that I am a bit impressed:

- The fit and finish is nice: The handle is sturdy, comfortable and feels like it will stand up to quite an amount of abuse. The head is coated in some kind of metal coloured lacquer (which wears off rather fast). The nylon sheath is well made and tight fitting.

- The grind is good for such a thin axe, but the edge doesn't come very sharp. I suspect the 50-55 HRC to be easy enough the sharpen though.

- I tested the axe on smaller logs (5-15 cm in diamater), it performed surprisingly well. Very well actually, especially when considering how small and lightweight this axe is. I am quite sure this axe will split larger logs with the help of a baton - more testing will tell.
I handed the axe to a few of my junior scouts (10-12 years), they enjoyed using it a lot and did a very good job with it splitting wood and chopping kindling.

- An interesting aspect of this axe is that it is small and handy enough to be used for whittling and more delicate woodwork. Especially after a good sharpening.

There is no way this axe will ever replace my Leuku or small Viking axe. But, for ultra lightweight hikes - and for scouting, where the I can't carry my leuku - I will definitely consider it as an option in the future.

jbrown14
13-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Very interesting find, Jakob. It's kind of a crap-shoot when buying any Coghlan's gear; it can surprise you in a good way or a really bad way.

The heavy curve of the blade reminds me of an Ulu, and if it could be sharpened well enough, might even serve as one.

JEEP
13-04-2011, 09:22 PM
I agree with that; some Coghlan´s gear is utter s**** - yet a few of their items, like the P51 can openers, the steel mirror and this axe, are really good value for the money.

I actually thought ulo aswell, I'll have to try that out.

CanadianMike
14-04-2011, 02:18 AM
I bought one of those within the past two years, never had a chance to use it, even less so since I go my GB SFA last spring, kinda forgot about owning it. Lol, good review though, glad to see it's not a serious POS like the Coghlan's machete I bought for fun and modified/rehandled with zebrawood last fall. Lol

RobbC
14-04-2011, 09:32 AM
It looks like a pretty decent piece of gear, but ive got a GB SFA now so i dont think i need another axe, lol. And are you sure it could split larger axes with a batton?:p

Robb

Kiltie
14-04-2011, 03:15 PM
I agree with that; some Coghlan´s gear is utter shite - yet a few of their items, like the P51 can openers, the steel mirror and this axe, are really good value for the money.

I actually thought ulo aswell, I'll have to try that out.

Tut tut
Surely you meant to write 'jobbies' Jeep ?

JEEP
14-04-2011, 08:17 PM
And are you sure it could split larger axes with a batton?:p

Logs of course, not axes :D

Adam Savage
14-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Ah ha, that answers the question well LOL. I may consider purchasing one still. will be interesting to find out how well it keeps the edge you will put on it.

Kiltie
14-04-2011, 08:37 PM
No, it doesn't answer the question, let me tell you where I'ms coming from, a PM sent to me by Martin (a forum moderator) after crazybrownnoser highlighted that I had used an expletive in one of my posts

Ahem

Language

Hi Kilite

I hope you don't mind mate but I've edited the word 'xxx' out of one of your posts earlier today. The problem is mate, there are loads of youngsters who get on here both on their own and with their parents. We've had a few people who have posted some pretty obscene stuff and so tend to take a zero tolerance approach to bad language so as to set an easy to follow standard.

For information xxxx, who posted the question about the food, goes to school with xxxxxxxxxxxx and is only xxxxxxxx. That's not to say that he doesn't use worse language at school but as the adults we are supposed to set the example.

Anyway, like I said, hope you don't mind and understand where we're coming from on this. We don't want to stifle free speach but want to make the place inclusive for all.

Any problems, please feel free to PM me.

Martin

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1046-Easy-to-cook-type-things...-Rice-etc.

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu77/crumbs_bucket/Untitled.jpg

Martin
14-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Outrageous behavior! I'll leave you to decide what to do with that Kiltie and for the rest of the community to make their minds up about you.

It is a matter of fact that no one reported your use of bad language, so why you feel the need to insult Adam is beyond me.

Martin

JEEP
15-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Holy.... um, well, better not use that word then :D

I am not going to try an hide behind the fact that English is only my second language. But, I really thought that the therm "shite" with an "e" in the end, was acceptable in some tongue-in-cheek way. I saw your initial comment on my use of that word as being equally tongue-in-cheek. I now understand that it was not meant in that way - and that my initial assumption about the word may be wrong.

In contrary to what I seem to be able to read between the lines of your post Kiltie (correct me if I am wrong), I have no intent to cover behind my moderator status. Therefore I will of course edit my post and remove the word. The same rules apply for me as for anyone else - please do not suggest anything else.
I administrate and moderate quite a few forums - and we get a lot of accusations about double standards and power abuse, from users that are somehow disgruntled about something said or done by us. In truth; administrating and moderating a forum is a lot of tiresome work with no pay and very little thanks - moderators are not power crazed individuals nor are we superhumans.

As to calling other users names, especialy in such a degrading manner as you did. Well, I'm with Martin here; I'll let that speak for itself.

Now; let's get back to the subject on hand: My nifty little axe - of suprisingly good quality.

Regards.

Jakob

Fletching
15-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Nice looking little axe. How much does it weigh? :)

JEEP
15-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Only 411 g. The low weight alone makes it attractive.

Thumbcrusher
15-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Anyone know where you can buy them in the UK?

JEEP
15-04-2011, 08:57 PM
I got to test the axe further this evening. It did a good job making kindling for my Bushcooker:

It does, however, come more or less blunt out of the box. I am looking forward to seeing how it will perform once I have had it on a stone.

Regards.

Jakob

Adam Savage
15-04-2011, 09:11 PM
It looks impressive. Like you say though, only time will tell for the edge. Also, as with Thumbcrusher, It would be good to know where to get them in the UK.

JEEP
15-04-2011, 09:22 PM
If you can't find it in the UK, I can easily arrange a group buy.

Adam Savage
15-04-2011, 09:30 PM
If you can't find it in the UK, I can easily arrange a group buy.

I'll put my name down for that sort of price. It's just a case of shipping I guess after that.

CanadianMike
16-04-2011, 01:29 AM
Outrageous behavior! I'll leave you to decide what to do with that Kiltie and for the rest of the community to make their minds up about you.

It is a matter of fact that no one reported your use of bad language, so why you feel the need to insult Adam is beyond me.

Martin

Well, he IS a jock afterall................... ;)

RobbC
16-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Well, he IS a jock afterall...................
That was just uncalled for, at least we aint beer swilling hockey nuts!:p

Robb

Adam Savage
16-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Well, he IS a jock afterall................... ;)

Robb

Now now boys, play nice.......:tongue:

Ben Casey
16-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Now now boys, play nice.......:tongue:

Not as bad as being a Geordie who is a jock with his brains kicked in LOL Oh by the way I'm a makem so I'm safe :D

Adam Savage
16-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Not as bad as being a Geordie who is a jock with his brains kicked in LOL Oh by the way I'm a makem so I'm safe :D

I know a Geordie and a Makem, and they both get on ok, except when it comes to football for some reason...

RobbC
16-04-2011, 01:39 PM
It seems you 2 have drifted off topic again...i thought you had your own thread for that:p

Robb

Ben Casey
16-04-2011, 04:42 PM
It seems you 2 have drifted off topic again...i thought you had your own thread for that:p

Robb

We got told of I think and went into chat but it just wasnt the same :(

RobbC
16-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Ah well feel free to go off topic wheneva you like:p

Robb

Martin
16-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Don't encourage them Robb, they're very naughty boys who keep going off topic. :D

Martin

Ben Casey
16-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Don't encourage them Robb, they're very naughty boys who keep going off topic. :D

Martin

It isnt my fault it is Carzy he misleads me LOL

Adam Savage
16-04-2011, 05:42 PM
There was no such corruption from my end....well maybe a little...LOL

RobbC
16-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Don't encourage them Robb, they're very naughty boys who keep going off topic.

Martin
Sorry Martin:ashamed:.

Robb

CanadianMike
16-04-2011, 09:43 PM

Robb

I'm a beer swilling knife making dude, I don't like hockey much. And my mom's side is originally MacDonald, so there................. :P And, I also have taffy and limey in me too. :D

At least I didn't refer to him as a numpty, bawbag, etc. Lol

Notredame11211
17-04-2011, 01:49 AM
I don't like hockey much.
You don't like hockey.........thats a shocker!

CanadianMike
17-04-2011, 01:47 PM

Robb

There's a topic here? Geez, forgot what it was. :D

I'll look around for my pack axe and play with it some when I get the chance. Am planning to head out at some point to collect some thick birch bark for a knife handle I'm working on, so if I can find it before then I'll give it a bit of a workout.

RobbC
17-04-2011, 02:16 PM
What type of Pack axe do you have Mike?

Robb

CanadianMike
17-04-2011, 02:20 PM
What type of Pack axe do you have Mike?

Robb

The same one that Jeep posted up. No idea where it is, have to look around for it, but since I got my GB SFA I've had no interest in using any other axe, unless a heavy one for splitting wood too dense for my SFA.

RobbC
17-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Oh, i forgot you had already said that. Since getting my GB SFA i have no real interest in any other axes, well apart from other onea made by GB, i dont think il buy axes from any other company now.

Robb

CanadianMike
17-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Hehe, seems to be a common thing. BUT, Jeep's endorcement of it as being useful when doing outdoors stuff with little other gear on you, that little Coglands looks like it's better than a knife for chopping (yes, batoning is my preference overall), and more compact, lighter than even a hatchet. A small pack axe like that would sit well within a tackle box or small backpack without much added weight.

Adam Savage
19-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Just got an email from a supplier. If I wanted to place an order to get one into the UK, I need to order a minimum of 1000 units LOL

RobbC
19-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Just got an email from a supplier. If I wanted to place an order to get one into the UK, I need to order a minimum of 1000 units LOL Hmmmm, anyone wanting an axe, or 1000:p LOL

Robb

Thumbcrusher
19-04-2011, 07:16 PM
I sent an email to coghlans asking if they had a british or (near)european supplier. They read my email and very promptly didn't reply!

They obviously think we don't deserve their, "quality" kit!

Adam Savage
19-04-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm not upset, I have my combi axe, it does the same as the pack axe, plus hammer, pry bar, and nail puller. LOL

Thumbcrusher
21-04-2011, 08:13 AM
I take it all back - perhaps they do want us to buy their axe!

Just got this reply from coghlans......

Our distributor in the UK buys our #1160 pack axe, as do many other of our European distributors.

In the UK, please contact:

Rosker Ltd
Quay Lane
Gosport, Hants
England PO12 4LJ

PH: +44 2392 528 711

Email: ralph@rosker.co.uk

Hope that helps anyone interested in buying one.