PDA

View Full Version : Pillow Talk ...!

paul standley
11-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Pillows are the vane of my life, I have several inflatable types that I hate and I can't get on with stuffing clothes into a stuff sac so I had an idea and tried it out last weekend and it really worked a treat for me...

Take a new synthetic filled pillow (can buy them for £3) and cut it in half width-wise and stitch the cut edges of the outer fabric so that you end up with two half width pillows.

The half width fits a sleeping bag a treat.

Put one or both halves (depending on how high you like your pillows) into one of those 'vacuum bags' that you can expel the Air from by rolling it up and hey presto... you've got a compressed pillow arrangement that will fit into your rucksack.

Martin
11-04-2011, 07:18 PM
That's a brilliant idea Paul. My wife was going to do something similar with a memory foam pillow, but it was too bulky.

Martin

Adam Savage
11-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Great solution. I have always struggled with a single pillow, and just folding it, only to wake up in the middle of the night, with it either unfolded and flat, or somewhere completely different altogether LOL

bigzee
11-04-2011, 08:53 PM
I've always used a pillow slip stuffed with clothing, but that's never been great. good idea. For a while I've had the sketch of an idea in my head for a sort of hybrid 1/2 poly fibre, 1/2 inflated pillow which may work if it was reeded like a matress (?)

I remember reading a while back some camping tips in an old book from the 40s/50s which suggested arranging both shoes side by side to form a pillow. bloody hell they were made of stouter stuff then eh?

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 11:15 AM
I've always used a pillow slip stuffed with clothing, but that's never been great. good idea. For a while I've had the sketch of an idea in my head for a sort of hybrid 1/2 poly fibre, 1/2 inflated pillow which may work if it was reeded like a matress (?)

I remember reading a while back some camping tips in an old book from the 40s/50s which suggested arranging both shoes side by side to form a pillow. bloody hell they were made of stouter stuff then eh?

That explains all the square jaws you see in old photos....LOL

Edwin
09-07-2011, 10:45 PM
In my younger days I did use the two boots as a pillow trick and it worked when solo. Boots facing each other with the toes overlapping or not as comfort required. This did lead to sleeping on back which increases the snores I am told. Now I either use a fleece jacket folded up or a real camping pillow that has a stuff sack which an American friend gave me, very pleasant when soft camping with a fisherman's folding bed for a really good sleep, if the car is available to carry it.

jikido
15-08-2011, 11:42 PM
This is gonna be an odd post, I am a practising buddhist,and because of daily practise I take my meditation robe (kesa) on my trips out, it fits into a rectangular bag 7x9 inches, and thAt fits exactly in the crease of my hammock and I sleep soundly on that and its handy first thing in the morning.

LandRoverMatt
18-08-2011, 10:53 AM
good idea