PDA

View Full Version : Lidl Hiking Tent Review (my personal impressions)

paul standley
11-04-2011, 04:11 PM
I purchased one of the Lidl Hiking tents on Friday as I thought it was worth a look for the money and it had been mentioned in another thread a few days before.

Here is review (just my personal opinion) of the tent...

First, this is the description and specification...

The exact weight is actually 1.58 KG not the 1.50 KG specified but it's close enough.

It goes up easily once you know how...!, the instructions are not too clear but all you need to know is that the "A" frame pole arrangements fits inside the entrance of the tent, the two ends fit into two little pockets in the floor corners of the entrance and the poles tie in in two places and again at the apex. The tensioned ridge pole fits into a pocket above the porch first and then into the first socket hole in the back at the bottom. A peg goes through the second socket hole.

Sitting up in it is a challenge...! and you'd be hard pushed to fit a rucksack and you in at the same time but sleep down the middle and place your kit along either side and put your rucksack in a waterproof black bin liner outside and it will work fine.

There are two covered vents at the rear that would benefit from propping open for better ventilation and this combined with leaving the outer door open a little and the mesh door closed, will provide air flow through the tent but like most single skin tents, condensation is a fact of life.

Would I recommend it, yes if you understand that it's a backpacking tent just for sleeping in not a base camp tent for living out of for a few days. It's nearly 1 KG lighter than my little dome tent that I use for backpacking so I'm definately going to use it from now on when hiking with one or two overnight stops.

Here's a short video review...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ectv0igFFhs

Paul.

cuppa joe
11-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks Paul looks like a reasonable spend ,good video review cheers.

Ben Casey
11-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Good review there mate :)

Adam Savage
11-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Yet another great review. I think I missed all the stocks now, or I would have had a punt on one. Glad you pointed out how rigid it was, I didn't even think to mention that in my tent review. If you need something to hold the rear vents open I have some flat steel band that's very springy, approx 5mm wide, that came from one of those folding laundry baskets. I imagine you could make a small slot inside the lip, where the foam is sewn in, and slip a length inside. I could send you some in the post if you can't find any from somewhere else.

paul standley
11-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Yet another great review. I think I missed all the stocks now, or I would have had a punt on one. Glad you pointed out how rigid it was, I didn't even think to mention that in my tent review. If you need something to hold the rear vents open I have some flat steel band that's very springy, approx 5mm wide, that came from one of those folding laundry baskets. I imagine you could make a small slot inside the lip, where the foam is sewn in, and slip a length inside. I could send you some in the post if you can't find any from somewhere else.

Cheers, I like the springy steel idea. I know the sort you mean and I think I've got some steel banding in the shed, and i've got a spiral collapsable linen bag with pvc stiff banding in it, I'll have a look.

Adam Savage
11-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Cheers, I like the springy steel idea. I know the sort you mean and I think I've got some steel banding in the shed, and i've got a spiral collapsable linen bag with pvc stiff banding in it, I'll have a look.

No problem buddy. I would suggest making it fairly easy to remove for storage. You don't want it rusting inside the fabric really lol.