PDA

View Full Version : Need challenges!

Sleepy
08-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Can you set me some challenges please?

Sounds daft I know but, I'd consider myself an average - good bushcrafter, I know a reasonable amount but when I get out for a "play" I kinda stop and wonder what to do next - often with no answer! I'm a bit of a firebug and don't really feel I need to challenge myself on the subject any more (apart from Flint and friction possibly), I'm after projects that I can do when I'm out and about to hone my skills.

I'll be trying the few that are already on here and report back but get yer thinking caps on, I enjoy a challenge! Anything axe related would be good as its something im a bit in-experienced with (used to prefer a machete).

dave budd
08-04-2011, 06:48 AM
with axe use, you could try carving something from a large lump down to as close as finished as possible only using the axe. Fell a tree, split (maybe with wedges that you can carve) and then carve the next part of your challenge; could be a bow, bowl, padel, woodspirit, etc.

With the fire lighting, you can never be too good.How are you with hand drills, fire ploughs and other hard to use friction methods? Or flint and steel with only the materials you find at the time (so no charcloth or prepared tinder). How about starting with whatever is around anyway and to heck with damp tinder? Or pyrites and flint>

Sleepy
08-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Good thinking with the carving idea! I'm already part way through a bow and haven't got a crooked knife so it'll have to be something relatively flat- well, I know there's other ways (burning / hot stone) but I'm sure I can come up with something. A cutting board perhaps. Not sure about decoration though: never been much good at arty stuff.

Re firelighting, I think that came out wrong; all I meant really was I'm ok with it and I'm after something else to do - there's only so many fires you can build before you start looking for new challenges. Point taken though, I think I'll go play with the bow drill again soon and move over to Flint when it's a bit dryer 'cos I find it extremely tedious knocking a bit of stone on a bit of steel for any length of time!

MikeWilkinson
08-04-2011, 08:39 AM
There is plenty of things you can do to help expand or improve on skills you already have.

Shelter building - Go out with naught but a knife and see what sort of shelter you can build (over a few nights if time is short). Use Withies, roots, make cordage, anything really, just use your imagination.

Collect materials for basketry or container making, willow, birch, once again see how limited you are with naught but a knife. - Try burning out a bowl, or making a birch bark sheath/basket/cup.

With you fire lighting, really go to work on fire by friction, try green wood, rotten wood, hard woods, pines, wet wood, see how pressure and speed are important when using this method with different woods, even if you can't get an ember you will learn something about your technique. Try going out with nothing and make a bow drill set with what you find - stone as a cutting tool, natural cordage, etc...

Try building a camp loom and making yourself a blanket/poncho/hammock with nothing but cordage and natural materials.

Flintknapping, carving (spoons/bowls/hooks/pot hangers), Camp craft (shelters/furniture/tools) pick a topic and go out and play.

Start off bringing materials with you, then gradually see what you can make using less and less manmade materails and more of what you can find on the trail.

Marvell
19-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Make a salad.

(don't dismiss it too fast) ;)

Bernie
20-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Have you seen the list of projects on Jon Ridgeon's website? He has some fun, and some challenging projects on the following page:

http://www.bushcraft.ridgeonnet.com/Articles%20and%20tutorials.htm

MikeWilkinson
20-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Hey Steve,

I'm doing that one this evening for my tea, taking along some nice pancetta and rice and going to supplement it with a wild salad of young beech leaves, common sorrell, dandelion, jack by the hedge and wood sorrell - maybe some hairy bittercress if i can find some too.

Marvell
20-05-2011, 11:14 AM
How are the dandelions and chick weed round your way?

MikeWilkinson
20-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Dandelions are great at the moment, I've not tried any chickweed yet, to be honest I've not seen much when I've been out walking, I've seen a good patch out on a run so may go back there with my foragers hat on.

Ashley Cawley
01-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Sleepy - you could always have a look at tracking - learn how to positively ID tracks and then follow trails, which could lead you on to trap making & snares etc.

comanighttrain
01-08-2011, 06:50 PM
if you have itchy feet why dont you try plying your trade on the move.... I was thinking about doing this accross Germany... go out, see things, learn about different environments. Adventure. More about using your bushcraft for practical purposes - like lighting a fire because you need to, not because you want to

andy202wr
23-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Have you seen the list of projects on Jon Ridgeon's website? He has some fun, and some challenging projects on the following page:

Wo!! how good is he? Every type of bushcraft you can imagine. I should think there is something there for every one, from a whistle to a conoe. Enjoy.

GwersyllaCnau
23-10-2011, 05:52 PM

WOW!!! thanks for that link. I see another canoe being added to my collection. Never tried a canvas one before!
My next project is an underquilt though.
http://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq

nilo52
03-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Sleepy,
My wife just challenged me to cut down an 11 year old necterine tree before she killed me. I used my skill saw and survived, barely.The tree drew 1st blood it's true, but I PREVAILED !

butchthedog
04-03-2013, 01:55 PM
WOW!!! thanks for that link. I see another canoe being added to my collection. Never tried a canvas one before!
My next project is an underquilt though.
http://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq

I am in the process of making an underquilt. My chief sowing machine operator is poorly at the moment (the mrs) so temporarily on hold. The link you put on will come in useful. Thank's. Dave

FishyFolk
04-03-2013, 02:44 PM

It's when I see Bushcraft pages like this I understand that what I do is very little bushcraft and very much camping... lol

OakAshandThorn
04-03-2013, 07:08 PM
WHAT??!! No one mentioned tree/plant ID!? :shocked: Sacrilege!
LOL - But in all seriousness, it's quite a useful skill ;).

SilverBinder
08-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Fishyfolk,I find myself agreeing with you! I do what needs to be done and enjoy the outdoors. I'm not in a contest and so don't 'practice'. My grandpa would be laughing at me if I did. He told me, the showed me. after that it was use a skill or lose it. LOL

El
08-06-2013, 12:17 PM
I agree Fishyfolk thats basically all I do lol

susannewilliams
08-08-2013, 08:36 AM
What a great thread....

How about - Do a water bushcraft challenge.

Build a watercraft that is capable of carrying fire and shelter and stay out overnight on a lake....

wildwanderingwoodsman
15-05-2016, 11:37 PM
What a great thread....

How about - Do a water bushcraft challenge.

Build a watercraft that is capable of carrying fire and shelter and stay out overnight on a lake....

[emoji1] isnt that a house boat? Sorry couldnt resist[emoji1]