PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating Birch

MikeWilkinson
06-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Almost everyone must know about my love of birch crafts and now I've found a book the represents everything I love about it.

I've just got hold of a copy of Celebrating Birch by the North House Folk School.

I've had a quick flick through it and it has some excellent projects for both the bark and wood. It also has some excellent information towards the end on the trees ecology and harvesting.

I already make basic birch bark knife sheaths, but there is a more intricate version in here for me to try as well as various new containter methods - like shrink boxes.

I can highly reccommend this to anyone interested in birch crafts and wood craft in general.:happy-clapping:

RobbC
06-04-2011, 12:36 PM
nice one Mike, i may have to buy a copy. Its now added to the back of my evergrowing kit list.

Robb

J_P
06-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Great book that i got it when it came out, its now in the ever growing JP bushcraft library lol :ashamed:

Metal mug
06-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Hooray for birch! :happy-clapping: :jumping-joy: :happy-clapping:

RobbC
06-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Hooray for birch!
My thoughts exactly!

Robb

MartiniDave
07-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Mike,

I've got that book and think it's great. If you manage to figure out that knife sheath a tutorial would be great because try as I might I just can't get it to work out!

Dave

MikeWilkinson
07-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi Dave,

Just mocked the woven sheath out of hard paper. It is a little fiddley but not as bad as it looks. When I get some more good birch bark I'll try and do a step by step tutorial.

luresalive
07-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Haven't heard of that one, must look it up!!