PDA

View Full Version : Basher or Hammock?

Johnny Begood
05-04-2011, 10:07 PM
... simple basher or hammock? I like the idea of a hammock, but i'm not convinced, is it just a lot messing around? i can't find any video or review of anyone actually getting into a hammock while in their sleeping bag or getting into their sleeping bag while in the hammock. What if there aren't any tree's where you're trekking, fishing, ect. My basher's easy to put up, light weight, compact and covers most if not all eventualities. It's low down, can blend in with the surroundings... so at the moment i'm not totally convinced by the hammock... it looks good though!

J_P
05-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Basher n Bivvi bag all the way ..

Martin
06-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Tent!!! I've got a hammock, and it's no problem getting in and out of your sleeping bag once inside. I also get a pretty decent night's sleep but it's a faff finding the right trees and getting it all strung up.

I've also got a bivvi bag which, in my opinion, doesn't cut it as a shelter. Nowhere to put your kit when it rains and not enough 'wriggle' room for me. If you are going to erect a basha/tarp over your bivvi then it isn't even a particularly lightweight solution nor can you 'see the stars' as you're under a basha.

For me, the solution is a good, lightweight tent. It's weatherproof, private, plenty of room for you and your kit and you can pitch it wherever you can find a flatish spot. Coupled with a good sleep mat and you are going to get a decent night's sleep.

Martin

resnikov
06-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Hammock all the way. Its a doddle to get in to your sleeping bag in a hammock. Unzip the sleeping bag to about half way down. Sit on hamock and swing your legs round and in to the sleeping bag. As you start to lie down zip up the sleeping bag. Jobs a good un. :D ( this might take a little bit of practise :P )
If I get chance I will try and record a vid this weekend when I'm out with my hammock and then post it here.

Getting a hammock hung up is just practise, just like putting up a tent quick. Theres nothing that special about doing it. To over load on hammocks have a look at http://www.hammockforums.net

As Martin said finding trees can be a pain for a hammock, but you take the kit you need for your trip. If you know there are lots of trees take you hammock, if not take your bivibag or tent.

MikeWilkinson
06-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Why not both!! I love using a hammock and get a much better nights sleep in one. Using a Single line suspension means that I'm not fussy about trees as I can hang as far out as 30' apart no problems. The advanatge of the hammock over the basha or tent is that I don't need to worry too much about the lie of the land and have setup on some heavily sloped terrain.

However I live in the west pennine moors and the only good wooded areas are in the valleys and gulleys (hence the sloped terrain). I carry a bivi bag as well so can easily go to ground if there are no trees about or I'm caught out on the moor. My Hazel walking stick functions as a good centre pole and the DD tarp easily creates a good sized mini tipi for me to setup camp in.

Johnny Begood
06-04-2011, 07:06 PM
thanks for your feed back fella's. I'm not totally convinced by the hammock thing, even though i do like the idea. The basher works for me. i can put it up quickly and there's room for the backpack, boots and odds and ends underneath with you. it's down low so not obvious. if need be you can bug out quickly or just pack, putting everything away in no time at all. Weight wise - it's an army camo basher and i use it with a ground sheet, with bivvy bag on stand by, they all squash down really quite small ... there's something about waking up in the morning open to the elements, you can't beat it! i'm keeping an open mind about the hammock... quite interested in a "tenth wonder heavy dutie green camping hammock" ,one that i can use with my bivvy, any thoughts?... apprieicate it.[/U]

and remember, be cool, have fun and always question authority before it's too late.

swkieran
06-04-2011, 08:03 PM
im with martin on this a tent all the way for comfort :),you can get some half decent 1 and 2 mans quite reasonable,horses for courses thou

Adam Savage
06-04-2011, 09:37 PM
I've also got a bivvi bag which, in my opinion, doesn't cut it as a shelter. Nowhere to put your kit when it rains and not enough 'wriggle' room for me. If you are going to erect a basha/tarp over your bivvi then it isn't even a particularly lightweight solution nor can you 'see the stars' as you're under a basha.

Should have gotten the British army bivi bag, 9 foot long so you can stuff your kit down the foot end and 3 foot wide so a decent amount of "wiggle" room. ;)

luresalive
07-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Much prefer a tarp and bivi bag, however as Martin says I have a couple of one man tents that are smaller than the bivi and tarp combined so a tent would be a better option if weight and space where at a premium.

RobbC
07-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Basha and sleeping bag/woolblanket is the way i go, although i would like to try hammcoking in the next few years.

Robb

Realbark
07-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Ground dwelling for me - tent or tarp n big bivvy (i have the brit army huge one). Hammocks are for monkeys or pirates IMO :p

comanighttrain
07-04-2011, 01:22 PM
different tools for different jobs.. The idea of being off the ground sounds nice when curious beasties might be all over the place, however as mentioned you cannot always set up a hammock...

Johnny Begood
07-04-2011, 06:38 PM
yeah, basher for me... but i may give the hammock a go in the future.

So out of interest, what sort of sleeping are you guys bedding down with? i've been using a Snugpak Elite 5 and love it... not the smallest of bags or lightest, but with synthetic fibres and a relatively waterproof shell, it can take a bit of rain and condensation, it's always kept me toasty and i mean toasty warm and dry. infact, the last time i used it - last weekend - i was down to shorts and t shirt. I also have a Vango viper 1000, but only use this when using the tent... so fella's what are you using?

Realbark
07-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Hey Johnny Begood = welcome here. Why dont you introduce yourself in the intro section and say hello?

Dossbag wise i use an Outwell Cloud 400 in the colder months (tho i DONT camp out all year by any means!) and a really lightweight bag (cant recall the brand) in the summer. I have recently aqquired a real wool blanket that i will try soon. i have a brit army bivvy bag and a gelert self-inflating mat too. Its only my head that ever gets cold as i struggle with a hat a night.

Adam Savage
07-04-2011, 07:09 PM
I use the challenger lite 200 for the chilly weather, as it will go to extreme -12 and comfort range of -7 to +12. Although I would suggest wearing clothes in anything close to 0 under a hammock with it LOL, and I use a USAF lightweight bag for summer or in a tent when there is two people or more, as the combined body heat boosts the temp really well in a tent. In a hammy I use a coffin cut brit army roll mat, on the ground I use a standard rectangular roll mat or a highlander foil folding mat, because they are only 100g which is way lighter than any inflatable.

resnikov
11-04-2011, 04:27 PM
If I get chance I will try and record a vid this weekend when I'm out with my hammock and then post it here.

Didn't get chance to get a vid this weekend when I was out in the woods. Concussion and 6 hours in A&E on thursday has made me a little forget full the last few days :confused2:

Heads better now and will try and get some vid of sleeping bags and hammocks asap.

Adam Savage
11-04-2011, 05:08 PM
What happened mate? You ok?

Fletching
11-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Yeah, mate, wha'appen??? :(

Realbark
11-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Concussion and 6 hours in A&E on thursday

Hope you are ok - do tell us what happened. Nice to see A&E waiting times are coming down in your area :p

Adam Savage
11-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Also hope it wasn't a hammock related injury

resnikov
11-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Yeah I'm fine now.
I play a bit of over 35s football to try and keep fit. Was playing in nets and got the ball at full pelt in the face, went straight over backwards and cracked my skull on the hard earth. Have never felt like my brain was spinning in my skull before, wasn't nice. Felt sick and dizzy all evening, and still have a mild headache now and I am having a bit of trouble concentrating ( maybe I always have and only noticing it now :p )

Cheers for all your concern.

Ben Casey
11-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Good to see you will be ok :D

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Yeah I'm fine now.
I play a bit of over 35s football to try and keep fit. Was playing in nets and got the ball at full pelt in the face, went straight over backwards and cracked my skull on the hard earth. Have never felt like my brain was spinning in my skull before, wasn't nice. Felt sick and dizzy all evening, and still have a mild headache now and I am having a bit of trouble concentrating ( maybe I always have and only noticing it now :p )

Cheers for all your concern.

I hope you had a pretty nurse to make you all batter buddy. ;)

BCalver
17-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Gotta love the hammock. Got one myself, not a problem to get in and out off with a sleeping bag on. One of the best nights sleep I've had. Lightweight and just ties to my bag in the little holder I got for it so doesn't take any extra room up.

swkieran
17-04-2011, 08:08 PM
what are those army hammocks like :),they seem very cheap

Nature Unleashed
17-04-2011, 09:40 PM
as an ex squady its got to be a basha n bivi all the way but in saying that, a hammock is great aswel, take both, they are both handy and relativly quick to set up :)

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 09:55 PM
as an ex squady its got to be a basha n bivi all the way but in saying that, a hammock is great aswel, take both, they are both handy and relativly quick to set up :)

Squaddies for you :D I have changed to a Hammock over the years as it is more comfy and I don't have to becareful anymore about being tactical LOL

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Squaddies for you :D I have changed to a Hammock over the years as it is more comfy and I don't have to becareful anymore about being tactical LOL

Exactly, had enough damp nights, messing with my joins, I can be as comfy as I like now haha

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Exactly, had enough damp nights, messing with my joins, I can be as comfy as I like now haha

Mind you I wouldnt mind making a hide one day with some moss and fern in it if memory serves me right that was really comfy :) Failing that a portable water bed if they ever develop one LOL

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Mind you I wouldnt mind making a hide one day with some moss and fern in it if memory serves me right that was really comfy :) Failing that a portable water bed if they ever develop one LOL

Heather, fern and bracken all make great beds, only time I tried moss was in a wet ditch on EnE with only the noddy suit and kevlar, so can't remember the comfort rating of that lol

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Heather, fern and bracken all make great beds, only time I tried moss was in a wet ditch on EnE with only the noddy suit and kevlar, so can't remember the comfort rating of that lol

EnE all we had there was the buddy buddy system and ditches :)

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 10:09 PM
EnE all we had there was the buddy buddy system and ditches :)

They always told us we had to keep the kevlar on at all times, think it was to piss us off, sleeping in the thing and after a couple days, it gets sweaty and heavy. Took mine off once, got caught, made me run up n down a hill a few times with full kit and a respirator, felt like I was gunna have a seizure lol

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 10:14 PM
They always told us we had to keep the kevlar on at all times, think it was to piss us off, sleeping in the thing and after a couple days, it gets sweaty and heavy. Took mine off once, got caught, made me run up n down a hill a few times with full kit and a respirator, felt like I was gunna have a seizure lol

I used to hate it when they done gas attacks and you had to sleep with your mask on I used to undo my cylinder a bit to let air in :) What I could never understand tho is we had to shave every day incase of an NBC attack but a sheikh (I think it was could have a beard and the Pioneer Sgt) They must have been immune to NBC :D

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Hang on we have gone of the subject again :( Move to A and B chit chat LOL

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 10:16 PM
I used to hate it when they done gas attacks and you had to sleep with your mask on I used to undo my cylinder a bit to let air in :) What I could never understand tho is we had to shave every day incase of an NBC attack but a sheikh (I think it was could have a beard and the Pioneer Sgt) They must have been immune to NBC :D

Martin will be here soon with that wonderful smiley :off-topic: lol

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Martin will be here soon with that wonderful smiley :off-topic: lol

Did you see the other thread I think everyone had forgotten what it was about I had to go back to the start to find out what is was about thats bad :(

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 10:26 PM
What thread? lol

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 10:34 PM
What thread? lol

I think it was something to do with hang on I have forgotten I will have a look :)

Diesyl
20-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Started with a tent, moved to a bivy/basha and then onto a hammock. Hammock is definitely the most comfortable of the 3, and my most used. It is just a case of learning how to set it up, like learning how to pitch your tent the first few timesto get it right. They can also be made pretty easily and cheap, for those that want to try it!

All 3 have have their time and place, IMO, and I would say most of us have a tent and a bivy/basha setup already.

Diesyl

jikido
14-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Both, believe it or not, I am in a hmmock with a bivi bag, I am new to the forum so don't know how to add a vid yet but will try and show it. Its a good setup and I am pleased with it

jikido
14-08-2011, 04:36 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&client=mv-rim&v=L72klzuGRLU[/video]

Found it

Both, believe it or not, I am in a hmmock with a bivi bag, I am new to the forum so don't know how to add a
vid yet but will try and show it. Its a good setup and I am pleased with it

Adam Savage
14-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Both, believe it or not, I am in a hmmock with a bivi bag, I am new to the forum so don't know how to add a vid yet but will try and show it. Its a good setup and I am pleased with it

That's a pretty common way of doing things, especially in cold or damp conditions. I think Johnny was referring to ground dwelling, when he mentions basha. After all a basha was originally a shelter created from a poncho, but now they issue a poncho sized (almost) sheet, they call a basha.:)

Adam

jikido
14-08-2011, 08:28 PM
That's a pretty common way of doing things, especially in cold or damp conditions. I think Johnny was referring to ground dwelling, when he mentions basha. After all a basha was originally a shelter created from a poncho, but now they issue a poncho sized (almost) sheet, they call a basha.:)

Adam

I have a basha over the whole lot but still use the bivi bag. I think the basha is important for an area to work, meditate, eat and rest in.

Adam Savage
14-08-2011, 08:39 PM
I have a basha over the whole lot but still use the bivi bag. I think the basha is important for an area to work, meditate, eat and rest in.

You'll have to get a 3x3 tarp at some point. It'll give you more room and more versatility, than a basha. I use the DD MC, but Tatonka polycotton are tougher (and more expensive), even using a cheap camo tarp from ebay works.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/Private%20meet%2015th%2016th%2017th%20July/IMGP3389.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/Private%20meet%2015th%2016th%2017th%20July/IMGP3398.jpg

jikido
14-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Very nice. Mine is only a tiny bit smaller. But nice setup

Adam Savage
14-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Very nice. Mine is only a tiny bit smaller. But nice setup

Mine is a very basic setup, the single line suspension boys are the clever ones. The best thing about 3x3 tarps, is the number of ways they can be used. Check out DD hammocks website, and look at their tarp tutorial.

Adam

jus_young
14-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Just ordered my 3x3 from Greenman Bushcraft. Desperately hoping it will arrive in time for the Gathering.

Adam Savage
14-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Just ordered my 3x3 from Greenman Bushcraft. Desperately hoping it will arrive in time for the Gathering.

It will be with you Tuesday if you ordered it today. They will post it tomorrow, overnight delivery (probably RM 1st class, maybe DHL 24), then on the doorstep between 11 and 2 Tuesday :)

Which one did you go for?

jus_young
14-08-2011, 10:49 PM
It will be with you Tuesday if you ordered it today. They will post it tomorrow, overnight delivery (probably RM 1st class, maybe DHL 24), then on the doorstep between 11 and 2 Tuesday :)

Which one did you go for?

DD in olive. Also ordered some other bits including knives so I might hit a delay while they do the age check thing? Hope not...

Adam Savage
14-08-2011, 10:54 PM
DD in olive. Also ordered some other bits including knives so I might hit a delay while they do the age check thing? Hope not...

Good choice, the green is a little tougher than the MC, due to the colouring process they use to dye the MC (eats into the nylon slightly).

If you payed by credit card or paypal they will take that as the age verification, if you used a debit card (like solo or electron) they may have to do further checks. Not sure how their delivery on knives will work, may be through DHL, as it's easier for them to track. Anyway, I'm sure it will only be minimal delay if any.

jus_young
14-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Fingers (and everything else) crossed

Adam Savage
14-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Have confidence lol

jikido
14-08-2011, 11:36 PM

Greenman bushcraft are pretty fast. I got my mora from them, with me in two days

jus_young
15-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Already dispatched. Just waiting on the posty now.

jus_young
16-08-2011, 12:11 PM
First class service. At 13.00 exactly my parcel was delivered, everything correct so just got to get it all out and pack it again for the Gathering.

Adam Savage
16-08-2011, 02:47 PM
First class service. At 13.00 exactly my parcel was delivered, everything correct so just got to get it all out and pack it again for the Gathering.

Great news buddy. :)

andy202wr
16-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Hammock and tarp.

My son John.
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt153/andy202wr/outdoor%20sport/bushcraft/DSCF2917.jpg

Johns friend in a hammock and bivi bag, sorry about the smoke !!!
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt153/andy202wr/outdoor%20sport/bushcraft/DSCF2916.jpg

Adam Savage
16-08-2011, 09:09 PM
See? everyone looks comfy in a hammock :)

LandRoverMatt
18-08-2011, 12:12 PM
well i like hammocks more because its nice more rexlaing but like if you dont have a tarp or just have the dd camping hammock there is now place to keep ur gear dry but i find the floor hard and bumpy you can probaly find a good flat place but you have to have a good roll mat or a inflatable one

tinkers
30-08-2011, 07:16 PM
cant really choose one over the other, as each has its advantages and disadvantages, and its really dependant on the terrain. admittedly bivvi and basher is generally lighter but the comfort afforded by the hammock especially for my old bones lol! makes it my preferred method, the colder months can present a bit of a challenge as regards keeping warm in a hammock but i've just made a cocoon for mine. just gotta wait for the colder weather to try it out.