PDA

View Full Version : Ten Tors Challenge

Pages : [1] 2

Martin
03-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Right then guys, it's time to walk the walk (literally).

There has been some very tentative interest shown for a Ten Tors challenge.

For the uninitiated, this is an event that takes place every year where groups of teenagers aged 14 to 19 walk one of 26 specified routes over the rugged terrain of Dartmoor visiting checkpoints at 10 tors. A distance of 35, 45 or 55 miles is set depending on the ages of the team. A team must be self contained; camp on the moor overnight and complete the distance within 34 hours.

I am proposing that we attempt to complete one of the 45 mile routes as a group of six, just like the actual challenge. The 45 mile challenge is considered suitable for teams of 16 and 17 years olds so a bunch of old timers like us, plus Kieran should find this a doddle. :(

Anyway, my suggestion is that we attempt this sometime in June. Stick your name down and we'll see how many will walk the walk, not just talk the talk. :D

Any takers up for the challenge?

Martin

ANDYRAF
04-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Not for me thank you Martin I've already got that medal (1973), but good luck to those who do it, especially in June!!!
Andy

Jeime_outdoors
04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I really would love to do it, but i am up in the NE if scotland and i am really busy over the holidays :(

Jeime.

GwersyllaCnau
04-04-2011, 11:47 AM
GRRR!!! DAMN WORK!!! Thats exactly the sort of thing I love doing.

Adam Savage
04-04-2011, 12:30 PM
LOL looks like I'll be the first to sign up then, count me in.
I think I can do it if I keep my kit weight (and smoking) down to a minimum. but at less than 48 hours food mass should be fairly low as long as the calories are there.

Martin
04-04-2011, 01:07 PM
OK then, the next step is to propose a few dates for this. I am not available for the first weekend in June as I am supposed to be doing the Four Peaks Challenge that weekend but after that I am fairly free. Check out the dates in the attached Doodle Poll and stick your names and availability down.

http://www.doodle.com/it4f28urp2bpapdv

Martin

Adam Savage
04-04-2011, 02:29 PM
OK then, the next step is to propose a few dates for this. I am not available for the first weekend in June as I am supposed to be doing the Four Peaks Challenge that weekend but after that I am fairly free. Check out the dates in the attached Doodle Poll and stick your names and availability down.

Martin

With the poll, I'm easy for any dates so should I just tick all boxes and hit save?

Martin
04-04-2011, 02:42 PM
With the poll, I'm easy for any dates so should I just tick all boxes and hit save?

Exactly. Just enter your name, tick the dates you are available and hit save. It's a great little tool, I can't remember who introduced us to it, but Ashley has organised many NBC meets using Doodle.

Once we're up to six names, with a common date, we'll close the poll and start to make plans.

Martin

Adam Savage
04-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Ok buddy, all done.
Just got invited to a meet with BCUK over Tamworth direction end of this month so will be free after that.

Adam

Entbane
04-04-2011, 05:32 PM
I struggle with the 10 min walk to the pub (half hour on the way back!). If i put some training in reckon i might have a realistic chance of joining in? Might go for a stroll this wknd on the moor and see how i do.

Martin
04-04-2011, 05:34 PM
I struggle with the 10 min walk to the pub (half hour on the way back!). If i put some training in reckon i might have a realistic chance of joining in? Might go for a stroll this wknd on the moor and see how i do.

Great idea Ed. In fact, it would be a good idea to use Ivan's place as a base camp. Some of the 45 mile routes use Pupers Hill as one of the tors so we could do that one. Hope you feel up to it. ;)

Martin

Entbane
04-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Ah yes. i remember the SAS (saturdays and sundays) were base just outside Ivans last yr for the ten tors. They came and enjoyed our camp fire for a abit. Will have a scout round on sat mayb round pupers and beyond! Base camp at ivans sounds like a plan, get some early morning miles under the belt!

Adam Savage
08-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Just popped over to the poll to edit my entered dates. 11th and 12th are better for me now, and fit's in with Ben's Dartmoor leg at Ivan's too.

Kieran
20-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I would love to do this Martin, not quite sure all my gear is up to it though...
But then again I have now got a load of new stuff, so... :)

The only thing is Mum! haha ;-)

Kieran
20-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I answered that Poll :)

Martin
20-04-2011, 12:47 PM
You did Kieran but sadly it's a two day expedition. However, I saw your PM and you should be able to get do it with the ATC next year. :)

Martin

Kieran
21-04-2011, 09:30 AM
You did Kieran but sadly it's a two day expedition. However, I saw your PM and you should be able to get do it with the ATC next year. :)

Martin

Well, mum said I should be able to do it...
And probably miss a Cricket match. :)

Martin
21-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Well, that's three of us Kieran. Not sure it's going to be viable with only three of us, and you being so young but we'll see what can be done. :)

Martin

Kieran
21-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Well, that's three of us Kieran. Not sure it's going to be viable with only three of us, and you being so young but we'll see what can be done. :)

Martin

Yeah, I have wanted to go to Dartmoor for absolutely ages!
Also, more people may want to come closer to the time.
How many are you hoping to get? :)

One more thing.. I am doing Bronze D of E with ATC :)

Cheers, Kieran.

Metal mug
21-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Well I'm interested but I can't say anything for certain yet.

Metal mug
21-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Actually I now love the idea and I am planning my kit. I just need to work out my clear dates. Also i've just got to see if people are still interested in a Exmoor meet.

Martin
21-04-2011, 11:29 AM
We need six people to do the challenge chaps. The challenge is to get your whole team around the 45 mile course in the time allowed totally unsupported. Therefore you have to navigate and carry everything with you for the duration.

Martin

Kieran
21-04-2011, 07:15 PM
We need six people to do the challenge chaps. The challenge is to get your whole team around the 45 mile course in the time allowed totally unsupported. Therefore you have to navigate and carry everything with you for the duration.

Martin

Would we still go if we could only get 5 people to do it?

Kieran

Martin
21-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Would we still go if we could only get 5 people to do it?

Kieran

I don't see why not Kieran. We'd need to see who was coming, what experience they have and when they could make it. We'll see how it pans out, but the moor isn't going anywhere so we could do it later in the year. :)

Martin

basicbushcraft
21-04-2011, 07:31 PM
im up for it walke the peenine way a few time now ( 9 time in all ) and goin agen this year so will be like a traing day what dates are they

Martin
21-04-2011, 07:42 PM
im up for it walke the peenine way a few time now ( 9 time in all ) and goin agen this year so will be like a traing day what dates are they

Check this out although these dates could very well change given Adam's lack of availability and how close this is getting already.

Martin

basicbushcraft
21-04-2011, 09:39 PM
thanks martin

count me in

Kieran
24-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Still only 3 people :(

Martin
24-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Maybe a couple more Kieran. Let's just see how things pan out. Surprised you weren't up at the Cornwall RV this weekend, it was great.

Martin

Martin
24-04-2011, 02:06 PM
In fact, just reading back through this thread, I reckon we've got 6 people interested. Therefore, we need to start getting some firm commitment and some dates worked out. :)

Martin

Kieran
25-04-2011, 08:45 AM
In fact, just reading back through this thread, I reckon we've got 6 people interested. Therefore, we need to start getting some firm commitment and some dates worked out. :)

Martin

I didn't actually know anything about it.
:(

Kieran

Kieran
25-04-2011, 08:50 AM
What kit would you be taking?
As I am obviously less experienced than you Martin...
So I am not that great at planning kit to take with me.

Kieran

Martin
25-04-2011, 10:32 AM
What kit would you be taking?
As I am obviously less experienced than you Martin...
So I am not that great at planning kit to take with me.

Kieran

The trick is to take as little kit as possible as you want to travel as light as possible whilst taking enough to ensure you are safe on the moors. Don't forget, whatever time of year and no matter how fit you are, walking 45 miles over that terrain in less than two days carrying everything you need is a very hard challenge.

Check out the official Ten Tors kit recommendation here:

http://events.exeter.ac.uk/tentors/forms/FTT7-2011.htm

Martin

Martin
25-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Also, check this one out. Gives a good explanation of the challenge.

http://events.exeter.ac.uk/tentors/kitlist.htm

Martin

Kieran
25-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks Martin

Kieran

Kieran
25-04-2011, 11:12 AM
I would need to know the dates fairly well in advance, to let Cricket know.

Kieran

Kieran
25-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Would you sleep in tents? Or other forms of sleeping?

Kieran

Martin
25-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Would you sleep in tents? Or other forms of sleeping?

Kieran

Well, the rules say tent but, depending on the forecast, you mat get away with a tarp and poles.

Martin

Adam Savage
25-04-2011, 04:08 PM
I'll definitely be up for the challenge if you get the firm numbers you need. May be able to juggle the date to the next weekend if it's ok with Ivan and if I check it with Ben, see if he can set up HQ/evac control with Ivan.

Metal mug
25-04-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm still interested but if there is an Exmoor meet in the pipeline I can't really say anything for sure. Just out of interest how much time would be set aside for sleeping/eating ect?

Martin
25-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm still interested but if there is an Exmoor meet in the pipeline I can't really say anything for sure. Just out of interest how much time would be set aside for sleeping/eating ect?

To be honest Jack, as I see it, we would need to meet on the Friday night at Ivan's so that we can be on the moor at 0730 the next morning. The challenge is then to walk 45 miles over ten tors and back to Ivan's by 1700 on Sunday. How much time we spend sleeping/eating very much depends on how fast we cover the course. On the official even I believe that you are not allowed past the eighth check point on day one, although I suspect that rule won't worry us. ;)

Martin

Adam Savage
25-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Sounds like fun :)

Kieran
25-04-2011, 07:57 PM
To be honest Jack, as I see it, we would need to meet on the Friday night at Ivan's so that we can be on the moor at 0730 the next morning. The challenge is then to walk 45 miles over ten tors and back to Ivan's by 1700 on Sunday. How much time we spend sleeping/eating very much depends on how fast we cover the course. On the official even I believe that you are not allowed past the eighth check point on day one, although I suspect that rule won't worry us. ;)

Martin

I think my kit would be up to it...

Ben Casey
26-04-2011, 07:48 PM
I'll definitely be up for the challenge if you get the firm numbers you need. May be able to juggle the date to the next weekend if it's ok with Ivan and if I check it with Ben, see if he can set up HQ/evac control with Ivan.

Hi Guys I would love to help out with Adams idea so let me know dates and stuff I could fit it into the roadtrip or after if you like and if Ivan did not mind I could do an extended saty there :)

Adam Savage
26-04-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm sure Ivan wouldn't mind you staying a little longer, given the distance you had to travel etc. I'll ask him Fri if he hasn't had chance to get on here before.
The only part that was my idea, was doing this at the same time as your tour dates, and maybe a little meet at Ivan's. Kinda kill three birds with one stone.
The challenge is all Martin's fault...I mean...idea...LOL

Martin
26-04-2011, 08:20 PM
So, what dates are we talking about for Ben's challenge to be in the South West? I've become slightly confused. :(

Martin

Adam Savage
26-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Oh the dates I put down on the poll, where the original dates Ben could get to the south west I believe. Sorry for confusion. If Ben can do any of the dates on the poll, then I don't see it matters to me which dates. I even confuse myself

Martin
26-04-2011, 08:36 PM
So favourite date is Friday 10th evening, Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th June.

Let's get names down on the Doodle. If you are serious about taking this challenge, please put your names down. We really need commitment on this now.

Please add your name to the poll here:

Martin

Ben Casey
26-04-2011, 08:40 PM
So favourite date is Friday 10th evening, Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th June.

Let's get names down on the Doodle. If you are serious about taking this challenge, please put your names down. We really need commitment on this now.

Please add your name to the poll here:

Martin

Hi Mate I have put my name down for the weekend that Ken and me are there so I will get Ken to put his name down to :)

Adam Savage
Sounds good to me, c'mon guys, get those names on the doodle poll

Martin
Hi Mate I have put my name down for the weekend that Ken and me are there so I will get Ken to put his name down to :)

Don't put Ken's name down if he isn't going to do the walk Ben. :)

Martin

Ben Casey
26-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Don't put Ken's name down if he isn't going to do the walk Ben. :)

Martin

Ok Im well confused now I will be helping Ivan with the Admin side I think and not the walk so should I have my name on there or not?

Martin
26-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Ok Im well confused now I will be helping Ivan with the Admin side I think and not the walk so should I have my name on there or not?

lol, yeah, you keep your name on there Ben so we know when you are down. We just don't want to clutter the poll up with non-walkers although everyone is welcome. No reason why we can't have two teams walking and make it even more of a competition. :)

Martin

Adam Savage
26-04-2011, 08:49 PM
It's all my fault. I'm going on the walk, but stopping at Ivan's for a day or so before and after. Martins idea was to use Ivan's as a start point, and a retreat, if anyone finda they can't complete the course. Was thinking if you were there, it would be a little meet, and someone to keep Ivan company

Ben Casey
26-04-2011, 08:50 PM
lol, yeah, you keep your name on there Ben so we know when you are down. We just don't want to clutter the poll up with non-walkers although everyone is welcome. No reason why we can't have two teams walking and make it even more of a competition. :)

Martin

Ok mate I sent Ken a message saying if he fancied doing it he should put his name down and if not then to just ignore me :) I always get there in the end LOL

Kieran
26-04-2011, 08:54 PM
I have school Friday and Monday so...
But, I will look and see about Cricket then put my name down, for now I will delete my name. That's if I am still welcome to come.

Martin
26-04-2011, 08:58 PM
You're definitely welcome Kieran. Don't forget, it's a very hard challenge that will test you to your limit, but it's a brilliant thing to do. :)

Martin

Kieran
26-04-2011, 09:02 PM
You're definitely welcome Kieran. Don't forget, it's a very hard challenge that will test you to your limit, but it's a brilliant thing to do. :)

Martin

I just sent you a PM.. But I think I sent a email rather than a inbox thing on the forum..

Kieran

Martin
26-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I just sent you a PM.. But I think I sent a email rather than a inbox thing on the forum..

Kieran

No probs, I sent you an email in reply. :)

Martin

Kieran
10-05-2011, 08:15 PM
What's the latest?

Martin
16-05-2011, 03:42 PM
What's the latest?

Very good question Kieran!! The latest is that I don't have a clue who wants to come and do this or when we want to do it. :(

I think it would be a good idea if we almost start from scratch on this. I have the 45 mile route sorted out, we can use Ivan's as base camp and those who don't want to walk can spend a lovely chilled weekend there too.

If you fancy a real challenge, over 45 miles of beautiful Dartmoor terrain, then put your name down here.

Martin

Kieran
16-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Very good question Kieran!! The latest is that I don't have a clue who wants to come and do this or when we want to do it. :(

I think it would be a good idea if we almost start from scratch on this. I have the 45 mile route sorted out, we can use Ivan's as base camp and those who don't want to walk can spend a lovely chilled weekend there too.

If you fancy a real challenge, over 45 miles of beautiful Dartmoor terrain, then put your name down here.

Martin

I fancy it.. I will just need to know when it is, within good time..
Unlike Cadets.. On friday night they ask us who wants to go gliding on saturday, bit to late notice to say I can't play Cricket.. :L

Kieran

Martin
16-05-2011, 08:25 PM
I fancy it.. I will just need to know when it is, within good time..
Unlike Cadets.. On friday night they ask us who wants to go gliding on saturday, bit to late notice to say I can't play Cricket.. :L

Kieran

I know you're keen Kieran, sadly we can't just go with the two of us. Proper Ten Tors training will start early for next year's challenge. Traditionally, you weren't allowed to train on the moor until February but there's talk this year of training starting in October or November. Make sure you get your name down at the Squadron for that mate. I'll be on the training team again next year so you can come with me on the training weekends.

Martin

Kieran
17-05-2011, 06:45 AM
I know you're keen Kieran, sadly we can't just go with the two of us. Proper Ten Tors training will start early for next year's challenge. Traditionally, you weren't allowed to train on the moor until February but there's talk this year of training starting in October or November. Make sure you get your name down at the Squadron for that mate. I'll be on the training team again next year so you can come with me on the training weekends.

Martin
I sure will ;D

Adam Savage
18-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Is the poll still active? If so my dates stand for that. Got a few things planned for june now. Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier, been down Dartmoor and Exmoor for a week.

Adam

Martin
18-05-2011, 06:21 PM
That's great Adam. I don't think we'll be able to do it with only three of us, especially as Kieran is quite young and not an experienced walker. I reckon we need at least two more to make this viable.

Any takers??

Martin

Adam Savage
18-05-2011, 07:53 PM
That's great Adam. I don't think we'll be able to do it with only three of us, especially as Kieran is quite young and not an experienced walker. I reckon we need at least two more to make this viable.

Any takers??

Martin

Ok buddy. Oh and a finally got round to devouring that MOD toffee pudding (with toffee sauce), that you gave me at the RV. They taste a lot...erm...sweeter, than they used to. I'd say about 90% sugar now, instead of 75 ;)

Metal mug
18-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Count me in!

Martin
18-05-2011, 09:04 PM
You're counted. :)

That's four of us then. I'd also like to get a general meet arranged for Ivan's place that weekend. It would provide a bit of support for us whilst we're slogging our guts out on the moor. And, you never know, someone might get a brew on for us when we get back on the Sunday.

Anyway, that's four of us. Two more and we've got it cracked. One would be just enough.:)

Martin

paul standley
18-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Good luck to you if you do get the numbers and do walk the walk...

I would love it but couldn't do 45 miles in 2 days on Dartmoor at the moment but it's on my "to do" list for next 12 months when I've got a few middle distance hikes under my belt again.

Paul.

Martin
19-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Right chaps, I've had to change dates for this challenge to account for the rapidly passing days and the fact that I've got a lot on for the next few weeks, including a mountain leadership course in June.

Therefore, the new date is the weekend of 2nd and 3rd July. I would propose that we meet up on the evening of Friday 1st July at Ivans and camp the night. (Hope this is OK with Ivan)

Saturday morning the challenge starts at 0700 sharp when we set out onto the moor at Lud Gate and make for our first Tor which is Pupers Hill. The route will then take us for 45 miles climbing a further nine Tors up as far as Okehampton Camp and arriving back at Lud Gate the next day, hopefully around lunch time.

We will need to carry everything with us including food and water, or the means to purify water and be totally self sufficient and unsupported throughout the expedition.

This is a great challenge and one that, if you're fit enough, you'll thoroughly enjoy.

If you're up for it, please confirm your availability on those dates.

Martin

Ben Casey
19-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Right chaps, I've had to change dates for this challenge to account for the rapidly passing days and the fact that I've got a lot on for the next few weeks, including a mountain leadership course in June.

Therefore, the new date is the weekend of 2nd and 3rd July. I would propose that we meet up on the evening of Friday 1st July at Ivans and camp the night. (Hope this is OK with Ivan)

Saturday morning the challenge starts at 0700 sharp when we set out onto the moor at Lud Gate and make for our first Tor which is Pupers Hill. The route will then take us for 45 miles climbing a further nine Tors up as far as Okehampton Camp and arriving back at Lud Gate the next day, hopefully around lunch time.

We will need to carry everything with us including food and water, or the means to purify water and be totally self sufficient and unsupported throughout the expedition.

This is a great challenge and one that, if you're fit enough, you'll thoroughly enjoy.

If you're up for it, please confirm your availability on those dates.

Martin

Hi Martin cancel my other post in the A/B Thread I have just seen it is July and I will be cool for the dates :)

Martin
19-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Great stuff Ben, you can be Base Camp Comms. I'll bring a couple of UHF radios sets.

As far as I can ascertain, the group so far will be:

Walking

Martin
Kieran
Jack (Metal Mug)
Adam (Crazysaint)

Basecamp

Ben Casey

Anyone else up for either walking or for a weekend in Ivan's woods on these dates?

A chap called Handsome John put his name down on the 'Doodle' but I don't know who he is and I haven't heard from him since so I guess he's a non starter??

We need at least one more to walk with us and a maximum of three. Strictly speaking the challenge is done with groups of six but we could do it with either five or seven. More or fewer than this and it becomes difficult.

Martin

Tom Bombadil
19-05-2011, 07:41 AM
I'd like to have a stab at it. Need to check commitments though, before promising.

Martin
19-05-2011, 08:00 AM
I'd like to have a stab at it. Need to check commitments though, before promising.

Would be great to have you on board. ;)

Just let us know if you can make it.

Martin

Tom Bombadil
19-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks.Will do.
Would be great to have you on board. ;)

Just let us know if you can make it.

Martin

Adam Savage
19-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Sounds great Martin. July should be perfectly fine with me all being well.

Metal mug
19-05-2011, 10:09 AM
What distance do you reckon we'll cover on the first day?

Adam Savage
19-05-2011, 10:13 AM
What distance do you reckon we'll cover on the first day?

Not 100% sure, but I'm thinking it's got to be around half. So 20 to 25, unless we step out and crack on. I'm sure Martin can correct me when he gets chance to pop on though, if I'm wrong.

Martin
19-05-2011, 10:54 AM
The ideal would be to complete at least 30 miles on day one. Bear in mind we can walk for a good 12 hours on the Saturday so at 4km/hr that is 48Km which is 30 miles. Don't forget this is a challenge of physical and mental toughness it's not a stroll in the park. However, I'd sooner wake on Sunday morning knowing I only have 15 miles to complete rather than another 20+.

Martin

Adam Savage
19-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Makes sense. looking forward to it.

Adam Savage
19-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Would it be route R/Q roughly, with the obviously different start finish point, or do you have (or planning) your own route?

http://events.exeter.ac.uk/tentors//Images/map-r.gif

route Q being the clockwise version of this.

Martin
19-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Would it be route R/Q roughly, with the obviously different start finish point, or do you have (or planning) your own route?

http://events.exeter.ac.uk/tentors//Images/map-r.gif

route Q being the clockwise version of this.

That's the one Adam. I thought it would be just as well to do route Q but actually, we could make Pupers Hill the last Tor rather than the first. Looks like a really good route and quite challenging on the Kitty Tor to Okehampton Camp leg. It takes you through what is known as 'Death Valley'!!!

Martin

Metal mug
19-05-2011, 12:45 PM
The ideal would be to complete at least 30 miles on day one. Bear in mind we can walk for a good 12 hours on the Saturday so at 4km/hr that is 48Km which is 30 miles. Don't forget this is a challenge of physical and mental toughness it's not a stroll in the park. However, I'd sooner wake on Sunday morning knowing I only have 15 miles to complete rather than another 20+.

Martin
That's good I usually prefer to go past the halfway mark on the first day on walks like this.

Metal mug
19-05-2011, 12:48 PM
'Death Valley'!!! Sounds like a relaxing place. :) ;)

Adam Savage
19-05-2011, 02:23 PM
That's the one Adam. I thought it would be just as well to do route Q but actually, we could make Pupers Hill the last Tor rather than the first. Looks like a really good route and quite challenging on the Kitty Tor to Okehampton Camp leg. It takes you through what is known as 'Death Valley'!!!

Martin

Either way sounds good, as Pupers is only a quick walk from Ivan's (around 20 minutes, at an easy pace). I guess the aim would be to hit Watern on the first day, leaving Sittaford, Combestone and Pupers to finish on, the second.

Martin
19-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Either way sounds good, as Pupers is only a quick walk from Ivan's (around 20 minutes, at an easy pace). I guess the aim would be to hit Watern on the first day, leaving Sittaford, Combestone and Pupers to finish on, the second.

That would be perfect. It's all down hill from there too. ;)

Martin

Tom Bombadil
19-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Looks like I will be able to join in too. Might leave the Expresso and monogrammed dressing gown at home though.

Adam Savage
19-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Looks like I will be able to join in too. Might leave the Expresso and monogrammed dressing gown at home though.

No dressing gown? I was going to bring a couple sun loungers and beach towels, with a bath robe to slip into...lol

Metal mug
19-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Looks like I will be able to join in too. Might leave the Expresso and monogrammed dressing gown at home though.I can see you're wearing your dressing gown in your picture. :)

Martin
19-05-2011, 05:23 PM
That's great news Shaun. Looks like we're going to have a good team.

So, to update, the group so far will be:

Walking

Martin
Kieran
Jack (Metal Mug)
Adam (Crazysaint)
Shaun (Tom Bombadill)
AN Other, (Depending on knees)

Basecamp

Ben Casey
Ivan?

Anyone else fancy a weekend away in early July, soaking up the best that Dartmoor has to offer? No walking required just relaxing in beautiful bushcraft friendly surroundings?

Martin

Tom Bombadil
19-05-2011, 06:17 PM
I can see you're wearing your dressing gown in your picture. :)

Yes, but you have to see me with my cigarette-holder and monocle to appreciate the whole ensemble old bean, don't you know, what!? Arf! Arf! (that's lol in oik). I say Nanny, I have on Jeeves' twousers by mistake!:ashamed::rolleyes:

Marvell
19-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Go on then. Count me and Joy in.

Martin
20-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Go on then. Count me and Joy in.

What for? The walk or the camp?

Martin

Marvell
20-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Sorry, the walk.

Adam Savage
20-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Looks like the team is complete then. Can't wait.

Martin
20-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Looks like you're right Adam

Ten Tors Challenge Team on July 2nd and 3rd

Martin
Kieran
Jack (Metal Mug)
Adam (Crazysaint)
Shaun (Tom Bombadill)
Steve (Marvell)
Steve's mate TBC

Can't take any more on the walk unless there are four or five others who would like to tag along and make another team up? Min team number is 5 max is 7.

Need more for base camp party.

Martin

Marvell
20-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Sorry, I jumped the gun volunteering Joy, she's not going to be able to get the time off work that weekend. I'm going to ask a mate of mine who did Trailwalker (100km in 30hrs) with me a couple of years ago. I'll get back to you within 48 hours if you don't mind keeping the place for him.

Martin
20-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Sorry, I jumped the gun volunteering Joy, she's not going to be able to get the time off work that weekend. I'm going to ask a mate of mine who did Trailwalker (100km in 30hrs) with me a couple of years ago. I'll get back to you within 48 hours if you don't mind keeping the place for him.

No worries Steve. The optimum number for this is six walkers so your mate would have made it seven. The problem, as you know, is that if we work on six you can be sure that someone will drop out. If we stick to seven no one will!!! C'est la vie ;)

Martin

Marvell
20-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Unless someone has already done so, would it be out of the question for me to get involved in the "expedition planning" for this. I'm a bit of a safety freak when it comes to this sort of thing and having just applied to Dartmoor SAR, having to call them due to bad planning seems a bit of a no no. Some things that spring to mind are:

1) Routes off the course and emergency pick up points
2) Provision of water
3) Resupply points (if required, rather than as a matter of course) (related to 1, I guess)
4) Remote checkin person, given we have no physical check points
5) First Aiders/Medics on route and first aid kits

Does anyone know which OS Explorer maps the route is on? Is it just OL 28 Dartmoor?

Martin
20-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Right, expedition planning.

1) The route will be as above. Not too sure which way round we'll be walking but I anticipate clockwise as per Adam's suggestion. Obviously, we will submit a route card to base camp on our departure on Saturday morning as well as leave one with my wife and instructions on what to do. The route card will specify escape routes but there won't be any emergency pick up points.

2) Water must be carried or collected on the moor, therefore purification methods must be carried. Boiling is not a suitable method of purification, not because it's ineffective but because we won't have time to stop en route to boil water. Therefore, the only suitable method will be chemical or filtration.

3) There will be no resupply points. The whole point of the Ten Tors challenge is that it is completely unsupported. You must carry enough supplies to last you for 3 hours hard physical activity plus emergency rations.

4) Remote check ins will be via mobile phone. There is good reception from the top of most tors. I propose also using Facebook 'check in' so that friends and family can chart our progress as we go.

5) I was hoping that one of our number would be a medic but that appears to be unlikely now. You are first aid trained, as am I. If anyone else has any medical training then it would be good to know. First aid kits should be personal and carried by each team member.

The map will be OL28. Having said that, I am considering going back to 1:50,0000 scale, as I'm fed up with refolding the map so often, so may take that with me as well.

All good questions Steve, please keep them coming.

Martin

Ivan
20-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Hi Martin , not up for the walk but will keep everything cushtie at base camp and try and provide warmth and decent grub upon your return , oh and something to warm the cockles of you hearts !!

Martin
20-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Hi Martin , not up for the walk but will keep everything cushtie at base camp and try and provide warmth and decent grub upon your return , oh and something to warm the cockles of you hearts !!

Thanks mate. Was going to give you a call this afternoon to make sure you were cool with all this. We could with getting a few more base campers for the weekend though. Mainly for safety as much as anything else.

Martin

Ivan
20-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah cool as a cucumber ! i know anyone you bring will be fine do what you have to do to make it a smooth , safe and an enjoyable experience . Anything i can do to help just shout , as long as it doesn't envolve walking the route !! And anybody who just wants to camp come along .

Marvell
20-05-2011, 01:18 PM
1) The route will be as above. Not too sure which way round we'll be walking but I anticipate clockwise as per Adam's suggestion. Obviously, we will submit a route card to base camp on our departure on Saturday morning as well as leave one with my wife and instructions on what to do. The route card will specify escape routes but there won't be any emergency pick up points.

I was thinking specifically about a sprain or diarrhoea, where we take the casualty on a bug out route to a road which is a known pick up point for a car. ie. it's marked on a road atlas for someone who will be not drunk throughout the walk. Useful also for ambulance rendezvous.

I know, I know, I'm thinking "worst case", but it's better than feeling unprepared.

2) Water must be carried or collected on the moor, therefore purification methods must be carried. Boiling is not a suitable method of purification, not because it's ineffective but because we won't have time to stop en route to boil water. Therefore, the only suitable method will be chemical or filtration.

I would be happy to mark on a map the useful water points and ensure our overnight camp is supplied.

We need to be able to filter, even if only with milbank if we intend to use chemical treatment for water due to the way chlorine works. Filtering and boiling will be an overnight thing only, I reckon, unless we plan to have a major break in the day.

3) There will be no resupply points. The whole point of the Ten Tors challenge is that it is completely unsupported. You must carry enough supplies to last you for 3 hours hard physical activity plus emergency rations.

Three hours? I'm now getting a bit confused. Aren't we out for two days?

4) Remote check ins will be via mobile phone. There is good reception from the top of most tors. I propose also using Facebook 'check in' so that friends and family can chart our progress as we go.

I concur.

5) I was hoping that one of our number would be a medic but that appears to be unlikely now. You are first aid trained, as am I. If anyone else has any medical training then it would be good to know. First aid kits should be personal and carried by each team member.

I have Advanced First Aid, Trauma, Critical Care qualifications and Advanced Remote Medicine training. I'm sure we'll be fine.

All good questions Steve, please keep them coming.

6) Are we collaborating on carrying stuff for the night camp?

7) Has anyone actually worked out how long we think the group will take to do this?

Martin
20-05-2011, 02:01 PM
OK Steve, some good points mate.

1) Dartmoor is pretty square with very few major roads crossing through it. Our route takes us from the southeastern edge to the western edge and right to the northern extremity of the National Park. It will very much depend on where we are when a casualty situation occurs as to where we would need to crash out. That is why the escape routes will be appended to the route card. It is not possible to have a single point as it could be 20 miles away from where we are. Worst case scenario, we have to call for an ambulance and let them decide the best method of medevac.

2) Water is marked on the map in blue. ;) In fairness, you can drink from most of the upland running water courses without filtration (2,400 youngsters did it last weekend). Puritabs would be fine and I have a 'Travel Tap' which will be in my bag.

3) Sorry, typo. Should say 36 hours. Basically, trail snacks for Saturday day time. An evening meal for Sat evening. Breakfast for Sunday morning and trail snacks for Sunday.

4) Glad you agree with the check ins.

5) Good news on the medical provision.

6) Not much to collaborate on Steve. We need a tent, sleeping bag and sleep mat. I will be bringing my Terra Nova laser tent with me which is a bit cosy for two. ;)

7) We should be looking to walk about 25 to 30 miles on the Saturday, walking from 0700 to 1900, leaving 15 to 20 miles on the Sunday. An early start will see us coming in at about lunchtime on the Sunday.

Hope that clears things up somewhat.

Martin

Adam Savage
20-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Phew, glad that's cleared up :p

Good to point out, o2 has the best reception up on the moors in general. I have two way radios that can scan, but they only have a range of 6km, so not much point taking them to try and pick up emergency band. ;)

Martin
20-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I've got some UHF radios too. The problem with Dartmoor is there are so many great big hills to get in the way. Unless we had a decent comms OP set up we would struggle even if we had a HF set up.

I'm glad Steve asked the questions as it's good to be challenged on the organisation. Having just spent the last 5 months on Ten Tors training I feel as confident as I can be that I've got the bases covered. Not only that, but I've walked pretty much the whole of the route so have a fairly good idea of what we're going to encounter.

Martin

Adam Savage
20-05-2011, 06:05 PM
You and Steve both know your stuff I'll give you that. With you two on the team, I think we have the best chance of success we can ask for. Your knowledge of the route helping us avoid difficulty, and Steve's knowledge of survival and rescue ops to sort things if they do go wrong.

Marvell
20-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Glad that's sorted.

Raven
21-05-2011, 08:48 AM
only just found this thread, sounds like a bast, would have liked to have a bash at the walk myself only not sure i have enough time to train now, looks like you are full anyhow so good luck chaps!:o

Martin
21-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Hey Paul, sorry you missed us mate. I wonder how many others are in the same boat? Why not come along for the weekend camp anyway? We need as much support as possible.

Martin

Adam Savage
21-05-2011, 09:11 AM
We need as much support as possible.

Martin

I could buy you a wonder bra...:rolleyes:

Martin
21-05-2011, 09:15 AM

:p

Martin

Ben Casey
21-05-2011, 09:30 AM

Could have two uses one for support the other as a catapult LOL

Adam Savage
21-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Could have two uses one for support the other as a catapult LOL

I wonder if you could use cycle inner tune to fashion an emergency brassiere?

Martin
21-05-2011, 09:36 AM
:off-topic:

Adam Savage
21-05-2011, 09:36 AM
:off-topic:

:Sorry:

Adam Savage
21-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Would we get away with leaving stashes at each tor in advance? :p

Martin
21-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Would we get away with leaving stashes at each tor in advance? :p

Stashes of what?

Martin

Adam Savage
21-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Stashes of what?

Martin

Food and water to save weight.

Martin
21-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Food and water to save weight.

Not really in the spirit of the challenge is it? Would be great if the 'support' team could find their way up to a few of the tors to meet us and even validate our progress although we'll have gps to prove our route. :)

Martin

Raven
21-05-2011, 10:28 AM
may well come along and lend a hand at base camp them mate

Adam Savage
21-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Not really in the spirit of the challenge is it? Would be great if the 'support' team could find their way up to a few of the tors to meet us and even validate our progress although we'll have gps to prove our route. :)

Martin

I know mate, just my dry sense of humour. :)

Ben Casey
21-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I know mate, just my dry sense of humour. :)

Didnt know you had one LOL

Martin
22-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Once again, here is the walking team for the Ten Tors challenge. Please can you guys give me contact details so that I can contact you with details etc nearer the time.

Martin
Kieran
Jack (Metal Mug)
Adam (Crazysaint)
Shaun (Tom Bombadill)
Steve (Marvell)

Martin

Metal mug
24-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Can I bring my sedan chair? :)

(If you don't know what it is google* it.)

*Or any other reputable search engine.

Ivan
25-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Metal mug, if its 17th or 18th century, and you are prepared to leave it behind as a gift ! certainly sir , i will even provide bearers...

Kieran
26-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Once again, here is the walking team for the Ten Tors challenge. Please can you guys give me contact details so that I can contact you with details etc nearer the time.

Martin
Kieran
Jack (Metal Mug)
Adam (Crazysaint)
Shaun (Tom Bombadill)
Steve (Marvell)

Martin

Are these definitely the set dates for going?

Cheers, Kieran.

Martin
26-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Are these definitely the set dates for going?

Cheers, Kieran.

Yup :)

Martin

Kieran
26-05-2011, 07:18 PM

Martin

Thanks Martin :)

Adam Savage
31-05-2011, 01:26 PM
I have just returned from a damp, drizzle filled, week down Dartmoor. hope it's nicer in July.

Metal mug
31-05-2011, 04:26 PM
I have just returned from a damp, drizzle filled, week down Dartmoor. hope it's nicer in July. How was the weekend?

Adam Savage
31-05-2011, 05:43 PM
The weekend turned out fairly enjoyable, considering the wetness lol.

Ichneumon
02-06-2011, 10:21 PM
TenTors!! Eazy peazy - done it four times. Dunno what all the fuss is about!! ;-)

Oooops! That was forty years ago. Might not be up to it these days...... No, second thoughts, I'd be fine - but I'll be bringing Arther Rightus and Mussell Wastidge with me and they might slow the team down. :-)

Happy to keep the home fires burning though. Somebody gotta throw a log on the fire and keep Ivan's thirst quenched. More than willing to do some checking-in too.

Last weekend was amasing. Great pictures on the other thread Adam - thanks.

See ya there fellas.

Paul N

Adam Savage
03-06-2011, 06:42 AM
TenTors!! Eazy peazy - done it four times. Dunno what all the fuss is about!! ;-)

Oooops! That was forty years ago. Might not be up to it these days...... No, second thoughts, I'd be fine - but I'll be bringing Arther Rightus and Mussell Wastidge with me and they might slow the team down. :-)

Happy to keep the home fires burning though. Somebody gotta throw a log on the fire and keep Ivan's thirst quenched. More than willing to do some checking-in too.

Last weekend was amasing. Great pictures on the other thread Adam - thanks.

See ya there fellas.

Paul N

Look forward to seeing you there Paul. And thanks, a pleasure meeting you. Your a thoroughly decent chap.

Metal mug
13-06-2011, 07:33 PM
So what's going to happen now?

Martin
13-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Well, I propose we stay at the Fox Tor Cafe bunk house in Princetown instead. We only really need it for the Friday night but we can leave the cars there for the Saturday night. What does everyone think?

http://www.foxtorcafe.com/#/bunkhouse/4546329759

Martin

Adam Savage
13-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Well, I propose we stay at the Fox Tor Cafe bunk house in Princetown instead. We only really need it for the Friday night but we can leave the cars there for the Saturday night. What does everyone think?

Martin

Looks like a great alternative Martin. I'll go for that.

Martin
16-06-2011, 06:52 PM
OK Chaps, just received some bad news from Shaun (Tom Bomabdil) who has suffered an injury that seriously affects his chances of walking on the event which I guess may also affect Jack's (Metal Mug) participation. That leaves us with four people, one of which is Kieran whom I haven't heard from for some time. I will endeavour to get PM's out to all concerned but would appreciate you all confirming your ongoing commitment to this challenge.

All the best

Martin

Adam Savage
16-06-2011, 06:54 PM
You still have my commitment Martin. Can't wait to test myself.

Martin
16-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Ok, well PM's now gone out to all concerned. ;)

Martin

Adam Savage
16-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Meet up, set off, costing, lack of external support, all sounds good to me.

Adam Savage
16-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Also, having a different start/finish point, what would the actual route be (including start/finish point), and which direction?

Cheers Martin

Adam

Martin
16-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Ok, well whatever happens we'll have a jaunt over the moors. Even if we're down to minimum numbers we'll get some miles under our belts.

Martin

Adam Savage
16-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I shall leave the details in your capable hands buddy. :)

Martin
16-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Jack just confirmed his commitment and I've had word from Kieran which is all positive. :)

Martin

Metal mug
16-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Right I'm planning my rucksack now, just need to find a place to pack the real ale tent.

Martin
16-06-2011, 07:44 PM
In all seriousness, you need to take the absolute minimum kit to last you two days and one night on the moor. 30 miles on Saturday is a bloody long way if you've got even 1kg more than you'll need.

Martin

Metal mug
16-06-2011, 08:04 PM
In all seriousness, you need to take the absolute minimum kit to last you two days and one night on the moor. 30 miles on Saturday is a bloody long way if you've got even 1kg more than you'll need.

MartinBut of course. What are you taking Martin?

Adam Savage
16-06-2011, 08:13 PM
You should have a peek at the online kit lists that Martin mentioned before. It's a comprehensive list.

Also you'll notice no mention of machetes, axes, dutch ovens, air rifles, gillie suits, and any of the other stuff we like to bring with us ;)

Martin
16-06-2011, 08:14 PM
But of course. What are you taking Martin?

Tent, food and water, stove, titanium pot, water filter, sleeping bag, sleep mat, inflatable pillow, spare clothes, waterproofs, map and compass, spork, mobile phone and a torch with spare batteries for both. All in my 58 litre Osprey rucksack.

I think that just about covers it all. Anything I've missed?

Martin

Martin
16-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Oh yeah, and first aid kit and emergency rations. :)

Martin

Metal mug
17-06-2011, 05:35 AM
You should have a peek at the online kit lists that Martin mentioned before. It's a comprehensive list.

Also you'll notice no mention of machetes, axes, dutch ovens, air rifles, gillie suits, and any of the other stuff we like to bring with us ;) Oh well, I was going to make a lovely stock pot for everyone in my 10 litre dutch oven but i've reconsidered now. :D

Kieran
19-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Where about's would we be hoping to stay the night?

Kieran

Martin
19-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Where about's would we be hoping to stay the night?

Kieran

Somewhere around the 30 mile mark Kieran. On the open moor and hopefully not too far from water. :)

Martin

Kieran
19-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Somewhere around the 30 mile mark Kieran. On the open moor and hopefully not too far from water. :)

Martin

Where can I find like a map online? Or something of the route?
If this is possible? lol.

Kieran

Martin
19-06-2011, 06:49 PM
In answer to Kieran's PM to me. We will be doing the 45 Ten Tors route, but starting and finishing at Princetown which is a bonus. The route is as per Adam's map earlier in this post. We have at least 5 walkers and I may just be able to find someone else who knows the moor really well.

Martin

Kieran
19-06-2011, 06:49 PM
I think sometime soon, we should have a online meeting on the chatroom...

Kieran

Kieran
19-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Okay, cheers Martin.

We have a lot less walking on the second day, lol.

Kieran

Kieran
19-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Am I right in thinking we're not having a base camp any more?

Kieran.

Martin
19-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Well, we won't be having a base camp like we were at Ivan's but we will be starting and finishing at Princetown so that will be our base. Of course, there won't be anyone waiting there for us but then they wouldn't have been of any use to us once we started anyway.

Martin

Kieran
19-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Yes, true... What happens if something like serious injury happens whilst we're out? Or something along them lines? (Mum asked)

Kieran

Martin
19-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Then we'll call the emergency services. With at least five walkers, we can send two off if necessary, and leave two with the casualty. Even if we had a 'base camp' we'd still call 999 in the event of an emergeny.

Martin

Metal mug
19-06-2011, 07:13 PM
In the chatroom at the moment.

Martin
19-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Just out of interest, and maybe to reassure your Mum; this weekend I will be doing a training course which will allow me to lead expeditions to Dartmoor. I also have my first aid certificate. Steve Marvell is an RNLI lifeboatman and is a trained medic.

Martin

Kieran
19-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Sounds cool!

Kieran
19-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Cheers Martin!

I'll tell her :)

Metal mug
19-06-2011, 07:18 PM
And that luxury sea king helicopter Martin has at his beck and call will be handy too. :)

Adam Savage
19-06-2011, 08:14 PM
I was told 112 is a better number to call in emergencies, rather than 999. Have no idea if there is any truth in that, or even if it makes any difference at all. I know either Martin or Steve will be able to put me straight.

Kieran
19-06-2011, 08:24 PM
I was told 112 is a better number to call in emergencies, rather than 999. Have no idea if there is any truth in that, or even if it makes any difference at all. I know either Martin or Steve will be able to put me straight.

118 is the number!

Adam Savage
19-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Lol

Metal mug
19-06-2011, 08:38 PM
I just got it! :D

Kieran
19-06-2011, 08:40 PM
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap3rrt_mXt8VdFNLc3ktcjZkYVM2ZGthQzZBd0FiL Xc&hl=en_GB&authkey=CMGk5dsM

Adam Savage
19-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Sounds like an acceptable list there. Lighter and/or firesteel is always useful, whether for igniting your stove, or building a fire if the stove fails. Also useful for creating signal fires in emergency situations.

Kieran
19-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Also...
First aid?
Who is taking aid? :L

Adam Savage
19-06-2011, 08:55 PM
All should carry a personal first aid kit, plus the team should have 2 comprehensive first aid kits

Kieran
19-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Sounds like a plan...
When you say "comprehensive"... ???...

Adam Savage
19-06-2011, 09:03 PM
It's pretty vague on details, but my idea of a comprehensive kit is my motorists first aid kit, which has basically the same as this example (lifesytems team leader first aid kit)

Scissors, tweezers and safety pins, Fabric dressing strip, wound closure strips and shears, Woven bandage, crepe and triangular bandages, Low-adherent and medium dressing, Burn gel, small eyepad dressing & gauze swabs,Vinyl gloves, glow stick, fabric & blister plasters, Paracetemol, Ibuprofen and antiseptic wipes, thermometer, duct tape, Zinc oxide and micropore tape, Resusci-Aid

Kieran
19-06-2011, 09:09 PM
zinc oxide for blisters?

Adam Savage
19-06-2011, 09:18 PM
I believe so, it is also used in many skin creams and sun block apparently.

Adam Savage
19-06-2011, 09:42 PM
If we're still after another team member I can see if Ed still wants to join us. Not sure if he will or not, but I'll be seeing him on Wednesday.

Metal mug
20-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Don't forget the field surgeon pack. :)

Kieran
20-06-2011, 05:42 PM
What we doing about food Friday night, and Saturday morning?

Adam Savage
20-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Knowing Martin, probably take away...LOL

Kieran
20-06-2011, 05:54 PM
HAHA
Sorry "crazysaint" but what is your name? :) :L

Kieran

Kieran
20-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I can't wait to go! lol

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap3rrt_mXt8VdFNLc3ktcjZkYVM2ZGthQzZBd0FiL Xc&hl=en_US&authkey=CMGk5dsM

Adam Savage
20-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Adam, it's in my signature :)

Kieran
20-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Oh yeah, so it is. Sorry I am blind! :L

:)

Kieran

Metal mug
20-06-2011, 05:59 PM
He's A. Savage. :)

Adam Savage
20-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Shhhh...that was a long time ago and they made a full recovery....:p

Metal mug
20-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Shhhh...that was a long time ago and they made a full recovery....:pIs that why you're nervous to go back to Princetown? :D

Kieran
20-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Savage?

Adam Savage
20-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Is that why you're nervous to go back to Princetown? :D

Anywhere on the mid moors...;)

Savage?

Kieran
20-06-2011, 06:56 PM
What's a "savage"?
I am stupid! :)

Kieran

Adam Savage
20-06-2011, 07:09 PM
What's a "savage"?
I am stupid! :)

Kieran

Barbarian and Savage are pejorative terms used to refer to a person who is perceived to be uncivilized. The word is often used either in a general reference to a member of a nation or ethnos, typically a tribal society as seen by an urban civilization either viewed as inferior, or admired as a noble savage.

Metal mug
20-06-2011, 08:22 PM
noble savage.I think i'll have to call you noble from now on Adam. ;)

Kieran
20-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Will we be taking radio's with us too Dartmoor?

Kieran
20-06-2011, 08:25 PM
What's the reason for not having a base camp?

Kieran

Metal mug
20-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Martin said he'd have a radio.

Adam Savage
20-06-2011, 08:51 PM
I don't think radios will be taken, as their range/reception on the moors would make them unreliable. No base camp is due to having access revoked, to the site we were going to use as a base camp. Complex matter.

Ben Casey
20-06-2011, 09:55 PM
I hope you guys have fun :)

Martin
21-06-2011, 11:13 AM
OK chaps, 5 beds booked in the Fox Tor Café bunk house for the Friday night, 1st July.

Martin

Metal mug
21-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Great.

Kieran
21-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Found two tents that look okay. Think I may be using one of these for it :p

http://www.thesportshq.com/lichfield-camping-navaho-2-man-tent.aspx

http://www.thesportshq.com/woodworm-scott-waterproof-2-man-tent1.aspx

Kieran

Adam Savage
21-06-2011, 03:52 PM
The Lichfield will be or reasonable quality, not TOO heavy, might not be the most waterproof though with only 1500 HH.
Not sure about the Woodworm Scott, it's a new brand, doesn't tell you how heavy it is, doesn't state the HH, but it is cheap.

Adam Savage
21-06-2011, 04:00 PM
If you could find enough extra cash, one of these may suit better

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Coleman-Kraz-X1-Backpacking-Lightweight-Tent-1-2-Price-/180682732858?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Ten ts_JN&hash=item2a1187b53a

Kieran
21-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah, my mate has a £12 asda tent similar... it's "okay"

Kieran

Kieran
21-06-2011, 08:47 PM
If you could find enough extra cash, one of these may suit better

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Coleman-Kraz-X1-Backpacking-Lightweight-Tent-1-2-Price-/180682732858?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Ten ts_JN&hash=item2a1187b53a

I do plan on getting something like this, as soon as I get enough money. :)

Kieran

Adam Savage
21-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I do plan on getting something like this, as soon as I get enough money. :)

Kieran

I think it's well worth the extra tenner over the lichfield, still not the best tent in the world, but you would have to pay around 250-400 for a really great tent.

Kieran
21-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I think I'll go for a small 1 man.. or something similar to this... :)

Adam Savage
21-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I think I'll go for a small 1 man.. or something similar to this... :)

I'm still trying to decide whether to bring my little backpacker tent or just a tarp and poles with a bivvy bag. lol

Kieran
21-06-2011, 08:56 PM
I was thinking a tarp... Lol
But, I haven't done it before.

Adam Savage
21-06-2011, 08:58 PM
it's pretty straight forward, do you have the tarp already, or were you going to buy one? Size can make all the difference with tarp shelters in the open.

Kieran
21-06-2011, 08:59 PM
3m x 2.4m
Kieran

Kieran
21-06-2011, 09:03 PM
3m x 2.4m
Kieran

http://www.outdoorvalue.co.uk/products/3943-camouflage-tarpaulin-2.4m-x-3.0m.html

Adam Savage
21-06-2011, 09:03 PM
That's a decent size, some people use the "basha" type, that are only 1.2m x 2m or similar. there are a few ways you can set one up, depending if you want closed ends, one closed end, open ends, open ends and front, etc... The DD site has a good tarpology section.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/tips/tarp-tutorial.

Adam Savage
21-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I have the 3 x 2.4 of that tarp too. Going to Dartmoor tomorrow, so will set mine up and take some photos if you want some ideas on setting one up. You have a trekking pole so can work around that.

Kieran
22-06-2011, 06:52 AM
I have the 3 x 2.4 of that tarp too. Going to Dartmoor tomorrow, so will set mine up and take some photos if you want some ideas on setting one up. You have a trekking pole so can work around that.

Okay, yeah that would be great.

Cheers
Kieran

Kieran
22-06-2011, 06:58 AM
I was wondering whether to take something like this...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Camping-Stove-Billy-Can-Set-Fishing-Hiking-Daytrips-/200621646015?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_CookingSu pplies_ET&hash=item2eb5fb60bf#ht_4514wt_1141

quite easily make-able.

Kieran

Martin
22-06-2011, 07:18 AM
I was wondering whether to take something like this...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Camping-Stove-Billy-Can-Set-Fishing-Hiking-Daytrips-/200621646015?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_CookingSu pplies_ET&hash=item2eb5fb60bf#ht_4514wt_1141

quite easily make-able.

Kieran

Despite its weight, I'd stick with your Trangia for this trip Kieran. We won't be hanging around and, when we stop, you'll want something reliable that you know you can just set up and cook your meal on.

Martin

Metal mug
22-06-2011, 08:13 AM
What are people taking as trail snacks? I was going to take little tupperware pots of porridge since they're filling but not too heavy on the stomach.

Kieran
22-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah, think I will stick with my Trangia.
I will also have a bigger cooking pot that way because I will take my swedish set (I think) I will test it all for weight when I pack my bag, then adjust as I need.

Also, what time shall my Dad ring you tonight?

Kieran

Kieran
22-06-2011, 10:47 AM
If I had enough money, I'd go for this!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FALCON-BIVI-BIVVY-BIVVI-1-MAN-TENT-FISHING-SURVIVAL-NEW-/170653407879?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Ten ts_JN&hash=item27bbbc5a87

Martin
22-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Thinking about kit for the trip guys. I would strongly advise you to bring the absolute minimum kit you can get away with for one night on the moor. Food, water and sleep are the main priorities followed by emergency measures like spare clothes, water proofs, emergency rations, first aid kit etc etc.

Food needs to be kept as light as possible and as easy to prepare. We won't be stopping during the day to brew up or for a cooked meal, rather we will be eating on the go and when we stop for a rest every hour or so. Jack, porridge is not really a practical trail food as it requires a brew up which will cost about 15 minutes maximum. I like to take bread and cheese which is easy to carry and doesn't really matter if if gets squashed in your pack. I also carry loads of 'Tracker' type bars or other cereal bars which are easy to carry and give a good carbohydrate hit when you need it.

At this time of year, hydration will be a serious issue and we need to be drinking about a litre per hour when we're walking. Obviously, it isn't possible to carry that volume of water with us so it is vital that we take sufficient purification tablets to treat those volumes.

It appears that both me and Adam will be on the moor this weekend and it will be interesting to see how much water is in the streams and rivers. Will report back on Monday.

Martin

Metal mug
23-06-2011, 05:46 AM
I eat the porridge cold, with water from my canteen.

Kieran
23-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Thinking about kit for the trip guys. I would strongly advise you to bring the absolute minimum kit you can get away with for one night on the moor. Food, water and sleep are the main priorities followed by emergency measures like spare clothes, water proofs, emergency rations, first aid kit etc etc.

Food needs to be kept as light as possible and as easy to prepare. We won't be stopping during the day to brew up or for a cooked meal, rather we will be eating on the go and when we stop for a rest every hour or so. Jack, porridge is not really a practical trail food as it requires a brew up which will cost about 15 minutes maximum. I like to take bread and cheese which is easy to carry and doesn't really matter if if gets squashed in your pack. I also carry loads of 'Tracker' type bars or other cereal bars which are easy to carry and give a good carbohydrate hit when you need it.

At this time of year, hydration will be a serious issue and we need to be drinking about a litre per hour when we're walking. Obviously, it isn't possible to carry that volume of water with us so it is vital that we take sufficient purification tablets to treat those volumes.

It appears that both me and Adam will be on the moor this weekend and it will be interesting to see how much water is in the streams and rivers. Will report back on Monday.

Martin

I was thinking some kind of dehydrated food for the evening and a boil in the bag meal for the morning.
Also, any recommended puri-tabs? I don't want to buy some that don't really work, or you guys have had experience of some leaving a weird taste. Cheers...

Kieran.

Marvell
23-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Also, any recommended puri-tabs? I don't want to buy some that don't really work, or you guys have had experience of some leaving a weird taste

They all do, but there are neutralising tablets to get rid of that taste.

Marvell
23-06-2011, 09:08 AM
As a guess, what size bag are you bringing? I'm trying to fit in 25l if I can.

Martin
23-06-2011, 11:21 AM
I'll be using my Osprey Exos 58 litre bag. It's big enough to comfortably hold all my kit but is still comfortable and very light. I thought about taking the OMM 32 litre but I don't want to ram it full which will make it lumpy and difficult to balance the load.

Martin

Martin
23-06-2011, 11:25 AM
I was thinking some kind of dehydrated food for the evening and a boil in the bag meal for the morning.
Also, any recommended puri-tabs? I don't want to buy some that don't really work, or you guys have had experience of some leaving a weird taste. Cheers...

Kieran.

ASDA do some pretty good dehydrated savoury mince and chilli which I've used before. They also do boil in the bag curry things although I'm not sure what you would fancy for breakfast. 'Oat so Simple' are good for breakfast although you do have to wash up after you've cooked them. You can also get them in little pots as well that you just add hot water to.

I'm really starting to look forward to this now that we're into the actual trip planning stage. :)

Martin

Martin
23-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I eat the porridge cold, with water from my canteen.

As they used to say in The Beano; 'Groooo!!'

Martin

Marvell
23-06-2011, 11:37 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew the fire laws to a strict level. For instance, can we use a raised honey stove with solid fuel, or are we restricted to gas, blocks/gels and meths?

Martin
23-06-2011, 11:51 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew the fire laws to a strict level. For instance, can we use a raised honey stove with solid fuel, or are we restricted to gas, blocks/gels and meths?

If you read this, it would suggest that you are not allowed such stoves. I would also say that it is an unacceptable risk and have seen at first hand how quickly fires spread up there.

http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/bye_laws.htm

Martin

Metal mug
23-06-2011, 02:33 PM
If you read this, it would suggest that you are not allowed such stoves. I would also say that it is an unacceptable risk and have seen at first hand how quickly fires spread up there.

http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/bye_laws.htm

MartinWould a hexamine stove be ok? :confused:

Metal mug
23-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Oh, and here's a picture of my 'umble shelter if anybody's interested.

Kieran
23-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I have a 35 litre rucksack... Then a 75 litre rucksack... nothing inbetween... oh dear...
How will you fit a sleeping bag in it? Or will you strap it outside?

Kieran

(ps Brannel school caught fire today, the old one. Not the new one)

Metal mug
23-06-2011, 03:38 PM
(ps Brannel school caught fire today, the old one. Not the new one) That's what happens if you use a honeystove in a school. ;)

Marvell
23-06-2011, 04:13 PM
I'd only put your sleeping bag on the outside of your bag if it does not cause an odd balance or bounce around annoyingly Kieran.

In other news, it seems that if a BBQ is no OK, then meths it is!

Martin
23-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Gas stove for me. :) Hexamine is fine but you need to set it up on a solid base like a rock.

I have a smaller rucksack that you could borrow Kieran. It's an old Vango 65 litre job if I remember correctly. It's not very light and it's older than you but will hold your kit and is quite comfy to carry. Don't forget, all you need to get inside your bag is your sleeping bag, stove, spare clothes and food. Other bits and bobs can go in the top pocket and your tent and roll mat will be fine tied to the outside.

Martin

Metal mug
23-06-2011, 05:48 PM
What time are we meeting at around friday?

Martin
23-06-2011, 05:50 PM
I think early evening. Say 1800 onwards?

Martin

Metal mug
23-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Sounds good.

Marvell
23-06-2011, 08:41 PM
You can tie a sleeping bag to the outside if you're using a bivi, so long as it's not annoying.

Martin
23-06-2011, 09:04 PM
You can tie a sleeping bag to the outside if you're using a bivi, so long as it's not annoying.

And, providing it's in a waterproof covering. ;)

Martin

Kieran
24-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Gas stove for me. :) Hexamine is fine but you need to set it up on a solid base like a rock.

I have a smaller rucksack that you could borrow Kieran. It's an old Vango 65 litre job if I remember correctly. It's not very light and it's older than you but will hold your kit and is quite comfy to carry. Don't forget, all you need to get inside your bag is your sleeping bag, stove, spare clothes and food. Other bits and bobs can go in the top pocket and your tent and roll mat will be fine tied to the outside.

Martin

If I were to use my 75 litre rucksack... Then I would be able to fit absolutely everything in to it... Including my Tent...

Kieran

Kieran
24-06-2011, 07:59 AM
I was going to buy a bivi instead of a tent.. Now I kinda wish I did buy that and a tarp.. :p

Kieran

Kieran
24-06-2011, 10:28 AM
I was just now thinking... I have a bit of a dilemma;
The tent I am taking is very small, so I do not have a problem taking it.. But then I was thinking "if it is raining I am not going to be able to cook inside my tent, and also - any water that is in my tent will still be in there in the morning... Leading to a uncomfortable night"
So I then thought I could take a tarp, where I think it will be easier to dry out when I am under there... But I do not have a bivi bag I only have one of them small disposable survival bag things...
Now I am stuck for what to take... :S

But then I thought... What about both? A Tarp isn't much to carry and I can set that up and the entrance to my tent, so I have a little area where I can store all my kit and stuff...

Kieran

Kieran
24-06-2011, 10:29 AM
I think early evening. Say 1800 onwards?

Martin

What time will we be leaving sunny St.Stephens? :)

Kieran

Martin
24-06-2011, 12:02 PM
If I were to use my 75 litre rucksack... Then I would be able to fit absolutely everything in to it... Including my Tent...

Correct, just don't take anything that you absolutely don't need to. The bigger your bag, the more tempting it is to fill it.

I was going to buy a bivi instead of a tent.. Now I kinda wish I did buy that and a tarp.. :p

I think you know my opinion on this. Tent all the way. Bivi bag is just too much of a compromise in my opinion.

I was just now thinking... I have a bit of a dilemma;
The tent I am taking is very small, so I do not have a problem taking it.. But then I was thinking "if it is raining I am not going to be able to cook inside my tent, and also - any water that is in my tent will still be in there in the morning... Leading to a uncomfortable night"
So I then thought I could take a tarp, where I think it will be easier to dry out when I am under there... But I do not have a bivi bag I only have one of them small disposable survival bag things...
Now I am stuck for what to take... :S

But then I thought... What about both? A Tarp isn't much to carry and I can set that up and the entrance to my tent, so I have a little area where I can store all my kit and stuff...

Never, ever cook in your tent. The build up of carbon monoxide as well as other toxic gasses can get to lethal level without you knowing it, not to mention the fire risk and that fact that when you knock your pan over, you will get food all over the inside of your tent. The messier it is, the more likely you are to knock it over. This is a law of physics which can't be broken.

What time will we be leaving sunny St.Stephens? :)

I'm thinking around 1630. I will more than likely take the afternoon off work so I'm not in a huge rush.

Hope this goes some way to answering your questions. ;)

Martin