PDA

View Full Version : Berghaus Centurio review.

chris grace
03-04-2011, 09:50 AM
I bought this rucksack this week ,ordered it on Wednesday and received it on Thursday from Sop outdoors in Hampshire at a cost of £54.99 plus parcelforce 24 delivery for £7.99(I didn't want to wait)
The service from the shop is excellent.
On to the pack itself.
On first opening the package the sack seemed very small,much smaller than my other 30 litre sacks this was because it was flat and not opened out yet.The sack is a short /wide type as opposed to my other sacks which are tall/thin types.
Once opened out it seemed a lot bigger than my other 30 litre sacks.
The sack is the usual excellent Berghaus quality,well made and top quality materials.
The sack material is Ardura 100 and is stitched with nylon thread.The sack has a Durable Water Repellant coating which really does work and when it stops working a quick run over with a hairdryer will bring it back to life.
I also got the side pockets and an extra karrimor omni pouch to strap on the front(these have had many reviews elsewhere ).
Okay ,how does it feel?When empty it feels quite stiff and uncomfortable,fill it up and it is transformed into a nice comfortable pack.It rides quite high on the back.I think it's designed to be worn on top of webbing so that the webbing belt supports the sack from below.It does feel comfortable even fully loaded(load list below) and without support from below.I does have a waist strap,this is for stability rather than load bearing.
There isn't much I can say about the build quality of this sack except that is is the high quality you expect from Berghaus.
So,onto the pictures.I have pictured it as the bare sack,and also with all the pockets added,the side photos of the bare pack show the side attachments without the supplied straps,these are the same straps as the ones on the side pockets.I removed them as I don't use them,they'll be staying on the side pockets as I will use them as a daysack.There are 2 ice axe loops fitted to the front of the sack along with 2 plastic clips further up the sack to hold the ice axe handles,I have removed these as I won't use them.The omni pouch fits onto the webbing straps on the front of the sack but after trying it I found that it didn't suit my needs because I don't carry enough kit to fill it along with the side pockets.

Here are the photos:
For those interested the kit I had in there was enough for me to spend 2 nights in the woods.
3 season down dossbag
Exped synmat 7 DLX
ipk groundsheet
Alpkit rig 7 tarp
Highlander hawk bivibag
3 litre camel bak unbottle
50 litre drybag
waterproof jacket and trousers evernew cookset 500ml meths
torch
headlight
spare batteries
washing up liquid
3 in 1 coffees
Long spoon
towel
hand gel
repair kit
3 dehydrated meals
Home made bag to keep all the bits in.
I would sometimes be carrying a folding saw in the pack.I carry a swisschamp and a 4 inch woodlore clone too.

chris grace
03-04-2011, 09:53 AM
more photos

comanighttrain
03-04-2011, 10:05 AM
thanks for the review!

3 dehydrated meals for two days? I'd need to supplement that ith 10 yorkies!

chris grace
03-04-2011, 10:10 AM
The meals were designed for an arctic expedition that never happened,I picked them up dirt cheap.They are all about 600calories and unusually for dehydrated food they taste great.The yorkies are in my pockets,I also take some tracker bars.
If you think about it,you have breakfast at home before you go.That leaves lunch and a main meal,next day is breakfast lunch and main meal,the next is breakfast ,lunch and then home for a main meal.You don't really need to carry loads.Although I do tend to carry extras,bacon and sausage sometimes.

GwersyllaCnau
03-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Nice pack, and very good review. I'll be looking for a new 30ish litre pack soon, I don't think there's many miles left in my ancient munro. Every time I pick it up I'm wondering if it'll drop the content out the bottom of it.

chris grace
03-04-2011, 10:24 AM
I have a couple of packs but the one I use most is a Golite JAM2 it's 50 litres but never full and weighs less than a pound.The centurio is going to get a pasting now for a while to see if I can use it instead of the Golite.I try to be a minimalist as possible without compromising comfort and safety,I did a kit list somewhere,I'll try and find it.

JEEP
04-04-2011, 08:10 PM
A very thorough review. Thank you.

It looks like a good pack for the money. How much does it weigh?

paul standley
04-04-2011, 08:22 PM
which pocket did the dog go in ?

chris grace
04-04-2011, 08:55 PM
It weighs just short of 2Kg and the dog went in every pocket, one after the other.When I have my kit out for packing he's in the bag like a shot,he used to have his own dossbag but he ate it so now he sleeps in mine.

Woodwose
24-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Chris, how's this rucksack doing? Any probs like stitching coming away, zips breaking etc. How comfy is it on a walk, sweaty back?
It's a toss up between the centurio or the old skool looking Fjallraven 30 for my new rucksack. Possibly a Karrimor sabre delta 35. :confused2:

cheers

chris grace
24-11-2011, 02:25 PM
I have no Idea,It was sold quite soon after this thread was started because the back length was just that bit too short and I couldn't get it comfortable carrying anything over about 10 -12 lbs.

Sorry I can't be more help

comanighttrain
24-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Chris, how's this rucksack doing? Any probs like stitching coming away, zips breaking etc. How comfy is it on a walk, sweaty back?
It's a toss up between the centurio or the old skool looking Fjallraven 30 for my new rucksack. Possibly a Karrimor sabre delta 35. :confused2:

cheers

Just to throw my hat in, can fully recommend the snugpak rocket pak - if you remove the rockets it is 40L and...i think its 1.25 or 1.5kg with rockets removed and 1.75kg with them on?

Woodwose
25-11-2011, 10:41 AM
OK, thanks for the replies chaps. The snugpack is too large a pack for my day out bimbling.
I think I will give the Berghaus a miss, as being tall myself I know what a short rucksack can be like. There are no stockists of that pack near to me or the Fjallraven, which is a pity as I do like the look of them both.
The karrimor Delta 25 and 35 are available in a shop not too far away, so I will be able to try them on for fit/comfort.
Thanks for the info.

chris grace
25-11-2011, 10:49 AM
I now use a golite Jam in size large.It has an adjustable volume system and is comfortable as a daysack or as a large week away pack.The only modification I made was to construct a frame out of aluminium tubing (6mm) to give some support,the frame is fitted to the foam pad ind sits inside the pack out of sight.This is such an excellent mod I'm surprised that golite haven't done it themselves.

Woodwose
02-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Chris, I had a look at the Golite, I like the idea of the longer back length on those packs, although saying that I've made a decision and bought a Swedteam walker rucksack in realtree/green from an online dealer. I hope it's gonna be a goodun!!!