PDA

View Full Version : Easy to cook type things... Rice etc.

Kieran
31-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Hi all, I am planning on going camping in the easter holidays, just thinking what to take for food. And possibly what things I would find out and about this time of year (wild, but not animals). I will be in a friends field probably, for two night. I want to carry minimal as possible. :)

Thanks guys.
Kieran

Kiltie
31-03-2011, 07:22 PM
I always take weetabix and 'oats-so-simple' sachets and a carton of 'cravendale' milk is bought near my destination as a fall back, goes down easy, comes out easy (not a good subject, but hey, poo-poos happens) :campfire:
also good is 'Yahoo' milkshake to flavour these a little, 'Yahoo' and 'Cravendale' dont curdle as quick as 'fresh milk'
just my tuppenceworth:ashamed:

Fletching
31-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Cous-cous is a good one as all you have to do is add boiling water (same as Smash), stock cubes to flavour soups and stews. Condensed milk in Coughlan's squeeze tubes last a long time (and means you don't have to take along sugar for your tea or coffee). Primula cheese is good. Pumpernickel bread lasts for ages...

Steve :)

Ben Casey
31-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Coughlan's squeeze tubes I have been looking for something like that for ages the Army used to have marg jam and milk tubes :)

Alba Albion
31-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Just had a SUPANOODLES lunch for the first time. Easy to cook and not a bad taste, all for 49p.

Realbark
31-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Tinned steak = knocks up a wicked stew. An onion and a spud for same with OxO.There are also some unchilled ready meals avaiable in a packet for around a quid when on offer. I bought a couple last month at £1.24 (half price) with nearly a year shelf life. And a small bottle of hot sauce is a must IMO.

Fletch - i never thought of Primula - how long does it keep out of the fridge?

Adam Savage
31-03-2011, 08:38 PM
(not a good subject, but hey, **** happens)

Hey bud, might wanna edit that word or you'll only get Martin coming along and doing it for you lol.

Ben Casey
31-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Tinned steak = knocks up a wicked stew. An onion and a spud for same with OxO.There are also some unchilled ready meals avaiable in a packet for around a quid when on offer. I bought a couple last month at £1.24 (half price) with nearly a year shelf life. And a small bottle of hot sauce is a must IMO.

Fletch - i never thought of Primula - how long does it keep out of the fridge?

I think it keeps quite well/long as it is processed (possessed) LOL

Adam Savage
31-03-2011, 08:44 PM
I think it keeps quite well/long as it is processed (possessed) LOL

compo packs had them in and I ate contents of an 85 box in 99, including the primula lol

klause
1) I try to find things ready cooked and foil packed meals that need no refrigeration (so you can just boil them in the bag).
2) Try Bolognese sauses (in plastic bags) and boil in the bag rice with a chopped up pepperami fill a hole when your out in the woods.
3) We also use (all the time) 'Mug Shot' pasta snacks - just add hot water straight into the packet and leave for 5 mins till done - ideal for a quick bite to eat. (please be careful not to spill the water on yourself - make sure the packet is stable)....

Kiltie
Hey bud, might wanna edit that word or you'll only get Martin coming along and doing it for you lol.

There's a guy at my workplace just like you crazysaint :happy-clapping:

Adam Savage
31-03-2011, 08:53 PM
There's a guy at my workplace just like you crazysaint :happy-clapping:

The boys like to keep it clean as there are some young uns on here. I don't mind the swearing but its a family game and gotta cater for the greater as they say

Roadkillphil
31-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Make yoursel some jerky, you can chop it into stews, grate it into beans or chew as yer go. As for wildfoods, theres loads about at the mo, I shan't harp on about them here, but nettle tops, wild garlic, Samphire and alexanders are all poppin up in down here now. Happy camping fella.
:D

Fletching
31-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Coughlan's squeeze tubes I have been looking for something like that for ages the Army used to have marg jam and milk tubes :)

I shall be bringing some squeeze tubes filled with various culinary delights on Sat.

@Realbark - It don't matter how long Primula stays out the fridge 'coz I guarantee you'll scoffle it as soon as you get it out your pack. :)

I'm not a veggie (I like whole raw cows for brekkie), but I do also like Tartex (http://www.tartex.com/product-range/organic-vegetarian-spreads/organic-pates-in-tubes.html) spread on pumpernickel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpernickel).

Steve

Ben Casey
31-03-2011, 09:09 PM
I shall be bringing some squeeze tubes filled with various culinary delights on Sat.

@Realbark - It don't matter how long Primula stays out the fridge 'coz I guarantee you'll scoffle it as soon as you get it out your pack. :)

I'm not a veggie (I like whole raw cows for brekkie), but I do also like Tartex (http://www.tartex.com/product-range/organic-vegetarian-spreads/organic-pates-in-tubes.html) spread on pumpernickel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpernickel).

Steve

Thats cool I just ordered two tubes on the net :)

Roadkillphil
31-03-2011, 09:10 PM
:shocked: Steve that was post 666, you may have jinxed the primula!!

Fletching
31-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Thats cool I just ordered two tubes on the net :)

Fill one with peanut butter mate. For those 'peckish' moments. Gives you slow-burn energy as well.

Fletching
31-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Phew! Gone past it now.

One plus for the hot sauce there chaps. A bottle of Tobasco's a must!

:)

Ben Casey
31-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Phew! Gone past it now.

One plus for the hot sauce there chaps. A bottle of Tobasco's a must!

:)

I will have to do some shopping in the morning LOL

Kieran
31-03-2011, 09:14 PM
I use "MugShot pasta"
lol..
I use boil in the bag rice and some dried out meat/chilly/curry stuff. Use that a lot!
But was looking for something different. :)

Thanks for all the replies guys! really helps :D

Kieran
31-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Make yoursel some jerky, you can chop it into stews, grate it into beans or chew as yer go. As for wildfoods, theres loads about at the mo, I shan't harp on about them here, but nettle tops, wild garlic, Samphire and alexanders are all poppin up in down here now. Happy camping fella.
:D

How do you make Jerky?

Roadkillphil
31-03-2011, 09:22 PM
How do you make Jerky?

I use this technique, and so far everybody likes it :D
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?330-Make-your-own-Biltong-and-Jerky
I use pepper, little bit of salt, cayenne and garlic powder for seasoning and just soy sauce to marinade for 24 hrs. Topside or silverside is my meat of choice, but I'm keen to try rabbit and venison in the future.
Seriously its well easy to make, I've only been making it for a coupla months. Just cut the meat thin or it takes way longer to dry.

ATB

Phil

Realbark
31-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Technically not a bushcraft type meal BUT when i was camping out at Walesby a year or two back i rang a local chinky for delivery to the front gate. They did deliver, and although i had the mickey extracted mercilessly it was better than anything anyone else had and didnt stop anyone from "sharing" :ashamed:

Martin
31-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Lol, I had fish and chips delivered to the Cornwall RV last year. I think there are still some incriminating photos around somewhere. :D

Martin

Fletching
31-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Bit of a weird one this (what, from me???), but if you dry out some Soreen malt loaf in the oven on a really low heat, it turns rock hard (cut into slices first). When you're out in the field, soak a slice in some coffee for 5 mins and you've got a yummy (long-life) pudding.

klause
31-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Gona try that one Fletch, but with hot chocolate !

Fletching
31-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Lol, I had fish and chips delivered to the Cornwall RV last year. I think there are still some incriminating photos around somewhere. :D

Martin

Get back in your [Poshcrafting] box. Both of you!!! :)

Adam Savage
31-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Get back in your [Poshcrafting] box. Both of you!!! :)

don't knock it, that box has a log burner and double glazed, leaded, mullion sash windows :)

Martin
31-03-2011, 09:59 PM
don't knock it, that box has a log burner and double glazed, leaded, mullion sash windows :)

Oh yeah, I forgot you visited Ivan at the weekend. :D

Martin

Adam Savage
31-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot you visited Ivan at the weekend. :D

Martin

LOL, I'll be there from tomorrow till sunday too. Are you going to be there? Would be an honour to meet the man of the moors face to face

Fletching
31-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Would be an honour to meet the man of the moors face to face

Don't enable him! ;)

paul standley
31-03-2011, 10:10 PM
A tin of beef stew or tin of chicken casserole or chunky soup etc plus some powdered mash potato makes a decent evening meal and is easy to prepare.
Make your own camp 'bannock' bread easy enough to go with it and you'll be sorted. Try corned beef & mash potato & baked beans, it's quick, easy and great camp food.

Spanish omelet if you want to be a little adventurous, also great with bannock bread.

instant porridge or cereal of your choice with long-life milk is great for breakfast

Super noodles or pot noodles great for a lunchtime snack with a bit of fruit for afters.

All above are examples of economical food easy to source and prepare and not too heavy to pack in but the list is endless...

Adam Savage
31-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Don't enable him! ;)

That's a point, don't want to whittle him a cedar thrown with birch bark inlays LOL

A tin of beef stew or tin of chicken casserole or chunky soup etc plus some powdered mash potato makes a decent evening meal and is easy to prepare.
Make your own camp 'bannock' bread easy enough to go with it and you'll be sorted. Try corned beef & mash potato & baked beans, it's quick, easy and great camp food.

Spanish omelet if you want to be a little adventurous, also great with bannock bread.

instant porridge or cereal of your choice with long-life milk is great for breakfast

Super noodles or pot noodles great for a lunchtime snack with a bit of fruit for afters.

All above are examples of economical food easy to source and prepare and not too heavy to pack in but the list is endless...

Basically anything goes with Bannock haha

Fletching
31-03-2011, 10:25 PM
No cook long life (a week-ish+) foods:

A chunk of Salami/chorizo with (e.g.) bran bread - think of ye Olden Days
Hard cheese like cheddar - last quite a long time - think of ye Olden Days
Flapjacks
Tinned mackerel/tuna/herring in tomato sauce
SPAM - Ken's yer man!
Corned beef
Baked beans - think cowboy and don't sleep with 12 feet of anyone...

Martin
31-03-2011, 10:40 PM
LOL, I'll be there from tomorrow till sunday too. Are you going to be there? Would be an honour to meet the man of the moors face to face

I wish I could be there Adam but I'm going next weekend from Friday to Sunday so thought I had better become reacquainted with my wife and daughter this weekend. ;)

Martin

Degsy
31-03-2011, 10:54 PM
I agree with realbark, never go anywhere without the tinned steak

Fletching
31-03-2011, 11:06 PM
I agree with realbark, never go anywhere without the tinned steak

...with cous-cous and Tabasco. Yum.

Adam Savage
01-04-2011, 07:19 AM
I wish I could be there Adam but I'm going next weekend from Friday to Sunday so thought I had better become reacquainted with my wife and daughter this weekend. ;)

Martin

Well have fun my friend. Sure I'll see you down that way at some point. Hopefully this NBC ten Tors idea will come to fruition.

Kieran
01-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Well have fun my friend. Sure I'll see you down that way at some point. Hopefully this NBC ten Tors idea will come to fruition.

Ten tors idea sounds cool. :)
I wanna go!!! :P

Martin
01-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Ten tors idea sounds cool. :)
I wanna go!!! :P

Are you sure?? It's bloomin' hard work!!! However, if there are half a dozen of us who fancy it, I'll organise it for sometime in June. :)

Martin

Metal mug
03-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Are you sure?? It's bloomin' hard work!!! However, if there are half a dozen of us who fancy it, I'll organise it for sometime in June. :)

Martin We could have a group that does a sort of ready steady cook thing at the end of the day. Spam, spam, spam, baked beans and spam - my signature dish ;)

Adam Savage
03-04-2011, 07:11 PM
I'll be up for a bit of tor tapping. Lightweight kit is the name of the game so looks like I'll have to crack on with my tarp tent technique. Spam, spam, spam with beans and a side order of spam, sounds delicious. Put me down for a platter of that..LOL