PDA

View Full Version : New Bushcrafter

GwersyllaCnau
30-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Hi guys, just thought I would post this as a way of introducing myself to everyone, as judging by the posts on the forums, everyone is really friendly on this site.
Thought I would tell you a bit about myself and what I like about the outdoors.

I have just got back into hill walking after suffering from acute gout for a number of years. It was hard work and painful just walking to the car. Even now if I forget to take my tablet in the morning I’m in pain by 6pm. I have started to find that it is not the walking that I enjoy so much but about 50% using the kit and trying to improve on it. How many of you as kids camped in the garden just to use your tent? I still get that kick. For me my favourite part of any outdoor ‘adventure’ is setting up camp and relaxing, listening to the sound of the forest, or whichever wilderness I’m in; just being ‘out there’. I’m new to bushcraft and am eager to learn, though not new to the outdoor life. Apart from the family camping trips which will still be on official campsites, I plan to do as much wild camping as I can possibly manage.

Martin
30-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Hey GwersyllaCnau, a very warm welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum. :)

Martin

Ben Casey
30-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Hi there from me to :)

klause
30-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Welcome G.C.
Yeh, i remember my brother & cousin camping in the yard but i was too young, so to stop me crying my dad made me a tent (a blanket on a rope) in our back room ! The best bit was that my brother & cousin got their own blankets and pretended to be Ghosts at the back window, i sh!t myself and ran upstairs and got in bed with my mum hahaha !

It's mad the things you remember from being a child (i must have been realy young too).....Thanks for that G.C.............Iain.

Matt
31-03-2011, 06:52 AM
Hey fella, a warm :welcome: to NaturalBushcraft.

Regards, Matt.

GwersyllaCnau
31-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone

comanighttrain
31-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Welcome to the forum :D

Fletching
31-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Hi GwersyllaCnau and welcome. :)

Steve

paul standley
31-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Hi Butty, good to have another from Wales.

I'm based in Gwent north of Newport, send me a PM if you want to catch-up for bit of a trek and a camp sometime.

Paul.

GwersyllaCnau
31-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi Butty, good to have another from Wales.

I'm based in Gwent north of Newport, send me a PM if you want to catch-up for bit of a trek and a camp sometime.

Paul.

Will def do that Paul, don't get out too often as I'm working 2 jobs but when I get chance will drop you a PM. Thanks for the offer.
Mark

chris grace
02-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Welcome aboard mate,I'm in Swansea so not far from you.We'll have to get out one day.

paul standley
02-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Chris & 'Nut Camping' .... if you both fancy it, might be good to do a night or two in the woods at Glyn Y Mul farm (Lone Wolf) near Aberduais.

It's 60 mins from me and closer for you two (especially Chris...!) and it's a great place... best described as 'Wild camping with a safety net'. Ian who owns the woods is a great bloke and says camp fires are almost compulsary...!

I'm happy to organise if you are interested.

Paul.

chris grace
02-04-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm always ready for a night out.
Another place I use close to home is clyne farm ,he has an outdoor pursuits centre and a woodland campsite with loads of firewood.

paul standley
02-04-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm always ready for a night out.
Another place I use close to home is clyne farm ,he has an outdoor pursuits centre and a woodland campsite with loads of firewood.

Just google'd it, looks great, suits me fine. I'm down that way next weekend so I'll swing by and take a look.

Paul.

GwersyllaCnau
02-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Didn't realise you were allowed to use Clyne Park or farm. Will def be up for that. Though at the moment recovering from an operation (Thankyou Natural Bushcraft for relieving the total boredom of bed rest). Would you mind if I asked my brother to come too, I think he's signing up on here as soon as he gets to a decent net connection.
And Paul, thanks for the translation correction, Nut camping is what I meant, don't know why I put the translation as camping nut. And thanks to both Paul and Chris for the invite.

Will either location be suitable for a ground dweller? (no hammock or tarp yet)

paul standley
02-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Bro's very welcome Nut C...

When your back in the saddle send Chris/me a PM.

GwersyllaCnau
02-04-2011, 10:00 PM
When your back in the saddle send Chris/me a PM.

Sounds VERY painful at the moment. Op was in a VERY sensitive region. LOL

chris grace
03-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Didn't realise you were allowed to use Clyne Park or farm. Will def be up for that. Though at the moment recovering from an operation (Thankyou Natural Bushcraft for relieving the total boredom of bed rest). Would you mind if I asked my brother to come too, I think he's signing up on here as soon as he gets to a decent net connection.
And Paul, thanks for the translation correction, Nut camping is what I meant, don't know why I put the translation as camping nut. And thanks to both Paul and Chris for the invite.

Will either location be suitable for a ground dweller? (no hammock or tarp yet)

You have to pay at clyne farm and book in advance,clyne woods is owned by the local council but I have stayed there many times.There is a chap living there under a tarp,he's been there 2 years.

paul standley
03-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Glyn Y Mul needs to be booked in advance as well as they only allow a certain number of people in their woods and costs £6 a night.

chris grace
03-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Clyne farm is huge,and you can camp virtually where you like.It costs £7 per night but for that you get all the fire wood you can collect,showersand toilets at the main site and easy access for parking.You can walk the whole of the Gower from there too.
Clyne woods is part of the clyne country park,again it's huge.
We need to sort out a meet for a weekend.

GwersyllaCnau
03-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks both. I know Clyne Park reasonable well from mountain biking and love the place cool about the guy living there, didn't know that. Just looked at the website for Glyn Y Mul farm; WOW! Looks amazing, can't wait. I've been palatial poshcrafting for the past 6 years and prior to that 10 years in a 3 man dome that weighs about 10kg. It'll be nice to get out and try to remember some long forgotten light weight (semi light weight anyway) skills. To give you an example of the type of camping I've become used to (in order to get the wife involved) the tent is a Gelert Horizon 8 with the side porch which we use as a separate kitchen. This is a link to the typical camp site we go to, this particular one we will be going to for the 3rd time this summer http://www.parkfootullswater.co.uk. We have also booked to go to Grondre in Tenby over May bank holiday http://www.valeholidayparks.com/our-...e-holiday-park. So you can see I need rescuing LOL. The earliest I will be able to manage an overnighter will be 21st May, let me know if this is convenient for you.

paul standley
03-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Chris, Nut C... I'll check out my availability for May 21st and come back to you guys. wouldn't mind trying Clyne Farm for our first jaunt...

chris grace
03-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Sounds good to me.My calendar is clear for May.Shall we invite everybody?

GwersyllaCnau
03-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Clyne is ok with me as is inviting everyone, be nice to meet some like minded people, all I get is "what??!! No Central Heating or room service!!! your mad" I way as well let everyone see my inexperience LOL

paul standley
03-04-2011, 04:47 PM
If we can get a decent patch at Clyne to take a group then let's open it up to everyone. Chris, as it' your home turf, would you like to start a thread to invite people down for Sat 21st May. Probably be Fri 20th as well for some people ?. Share a link to Clyne etc...

Ashley Cawley
07-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Sorry for the delayed welcome, but :welcome: to our friendly community. I'm sure you'll fit right in ;)

PS. Really like some of your photography on your site!

GwersyllaCnau
07-04-2011, 07:59 PM
PS. Really like some of your photography on your site!

Thanks Ashley, coming from an obviously accomplished landscape photographer, I'll take that as a compliment.