Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Carp Anglers on here?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I'm not very good but I wouldn't say I was cr... oh, I see, you said carp.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

+1 on shooting carp in Australia. I've fished for them, bow fished for them, speared, spear gunned, crossbow-ed / hybrid underwater and above water speared for them, shot them by the dozen, netted whole dams etc etc. Never dynamited, but I might just add that to the list.....
    Bang on!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I'm not very good but I wouldn't say I was cr... oh, I see, you said carp.

Martin
    Hi Martin
    Well running a fishery I can tell you I see a fair number of crap anglers that can't catch carp... !!! LOL!!
    cheers
    Gareth
    Last edited by garethw; 03-07-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by feebullet View Post
    +1 on shooting carp in Australia. I've fished for them, bow fished for them, speared, spear gunned, crossbow-ed / hybrid underwater and above water speared for them, shot them by the dozen, netted whole dams etc etc. Never dynamited, but I might just add that to the list.....
    Carp Angling is probably the most popular branch of fishing in the UK, France, Holland Belgium and many other European countries today...So I'd avoid these practices in Europe if you don't want to be shot, bowed, speared or dynamited yourself by a bunch of angry carp anglers... many guys are really get passionate about their fishing...

Red rag..bull!!!and all that!!
    G'day
    Gareth

Quick question Gareth, not having fished for many years, why is carp angling more popular than other methods/species?

Quote Originally Posted by schooner View Post
    Quick question Gareth, not having fished for many years, why is carp angling more popular than other methods/species?
    That's a good question... when I started out in the late 70's, we were considered wierd, with our paired rods, bite alarms and bedchairs. There were only a handful of us in the whole country. Most people even other anglers, thought we were nuts, as the fish were so hard to catch. But how things have changed today.

I think there are many reasons why it's taken off: Carp grow big & fight hard, 30lb plus is common place these days. Modern techniques & baits have made it far easier for anyone to catch fish...
    The gear used is quite techy with various rigs, baits, bite alarms etc.. Many young people find that aspect appealing.
    Also you get to camp out by the water, bringing you closer to nature than just a day's roach bashing and you can enjoy the social side of a few days out by the water. (I think anyone on this board would agree that its a pleasant way to spend a night.)
    Finally carp are now a widespread species so anyone can fish for them.. Clubs, ticket waters and syndicates have been stocked for nearly 30 years now.
    Salmon and other big fish tend to be a bit exclusive. With so many local waters in the south especially holding decent fish, you don't need to be well off to get started. These days the kit can be as dear or as cheap as your budget. Some of the budget kit is pretty good.
    I think anyone who enjoys fishing would enjoy the thrill of hooking and landing a big carp.

cheers
    Gareth
    Last edited by garethw; 04-07-2011 at 08:45 AM.

I tried carp fishing last year in France, there was a lake with carp in on our site. I only had very basic tackle, and felt confident that my fishing experiance would get me something. But i got nothing, but on the upside the guy with mountains of tackle got nothing aswell
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

I used to carp fish using traditional methods but, sadly, *the whole scene turned into a marketers dream and lakes are now full of brash kit junkies in their 'lounges' from home and it's descended into a p***ing competition.

It aint fishing that's for sure.

*in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    I used to carp fish using traditional methods but, sadly, *the whole scene turned into a marketers dream and lakes are now full of brash kit junkies in their 'lounges' from home and it's descended into a p***ing competition.

It aint fishing that's for sure.

*in my eyes.
    Hi there
    Even though I'm heavily involved in the carp fishing scene for my business here in France, I have to agree with much of what you say. I doubt if I still lived in the UK, I'd still be carping. Fortunately in France here I still get to fish quiet places where I'm on my own, or virgin lakes and rivers that very rarely see a bait. I try to keep my gear to a minimum, hence my recent foray into 'Hammock Carping'. I couldn't fish the circus waters either, and don't fish my own place when I have a full compliment of anglers on.
    I do on occasions get to see the 'Tackle Tart' brigade, and many with "all the gear and no idea", struggle. Thankfully though the lakes are remote, rural, peaceful and beautiful and as I usually only have small groups they haven't fallen into the trap of many UK ticket waters.
    I do though remember when carping had a mystique about it, when people still believed in Remire Pool and you never really knew what was in a lake... the uncaught monster was in every lake, and every run meant you might just catch it.
    I still love it, but much of the magic has gone...
    Tight Lines
    Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by RobbC View Post
    I tried carp fishing last year in France, there was a lake with carp in on our site. I only had very basic tackle, and felt confident that my fishing experiance would get me something. But i got nothing, but on the upside the guy with mountains of tackle got nothing aswell
    Hi Robb
    You were unlucky to blank over here... I can literally count on one hand the number that come to us in a given year and fail to catch.
    Don't write France off though, while there are both good and bad waters, the richness of the fishing here is extraordinary. Fish are though wild creatures that don't need your bait, so blanking is always a possibility. But find a nice lake or river with some good fish and you'll be hooked.
    France has thousands of unpreasured, unspoiled lakes and rivers, where you can be outdoors and just enjoy being in a fabulous place. A few big fish are the icing on the cake.
    Tight Lines
    Gareth