Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tick Bite Prevention Week

Unfortunately one of my memories of the Wilderness Gathering last year was waking up at home the morning after our return and finding a nice big fat tick in my bed. It was shortly after that that I started getting ill. Not pleasent and apparently Wiltshire is a hot spot for them so will definately be taking extra precautions this year if we go again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan XF View Post
    Not sure if it was a tick but myself and the wife got bitten on holiday in the Lakes a few years back. We were staying in a converted barn and had chickens in the garden which we would feed and cattle in a paddock at the bottom of the garden. We would go to the fence and call them over for a stroke on the ears. At the end of the holiday I had a few bite marks on my limbs and an annoying recurrant headache and muscle stiffness that would come and go. I eventually started with a fever and ended up with a stay in resus with a cardiac rhythm called ventricular standstill and PVCs (over to you Phil and Sapper). After this my wife ended up with the same bite marks and she got the headache and fever but with infective arthritis in her joints. It got so bad she called me back from work and I ended up giving her IV morphine just so she could get out of bed to go to the bathroom. I don't know what it was but neither of us ever want it again. If it was from ticks then I've not had it since as I am extra careful during warmer months and keep an eye out for them. My daughter had one on her ear last year but no illness following removal. Be aware and be safe.
    My days sounds like you have both been through hell. Were either of you checked for Lyme Disease? Have to say some of the things your describing sound, very Lyme like. Are you both better now? I really hope you never have to go through that again.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Unfortunately one of my memories of the Wilderness Gathering last year was waking up at home the morning after our return and finding a nice big fat tick in my bed. It was shortly after that that I started getting ill. Not pleasent and apparently Wiltshire is a hot spot for them so will definately be taking extra precautions this year if we go again.
    Not really what you want to find in your bed!! they are on the increase, and the numbers of Urban Lyme is on the increase too. Have you again been tested? Sounds like you should be. If you need any help and this goes for anyone please contact us on our website www.bada-uk.org and we will do what we can to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are extra, abnormal heartbeats that begin in one of your heart's two lower pumping chambers (ventricles). These extra beats disrupt your regular heart rhythm, sometimes causing you to feel a flip-flop or skipped beat in your chest. Premature ventricular contractions are very common — they occur in most people at some point. If you have occasional premature ventricular contractions, but you're an otherwise healthy person, there's generally no reason for concern, and no treatment is needed. If you have frequent premature ventricular contractions or underlying heart disease, you may need treatment to help you feel better and treat underlying heart problems.

We are riddled with ticks here in the Peak, my dog normally picks them up (even when treated which I do every spring to autumn), as far as Im aware I have never been bitten. Maybe its because i generally wear gaiters (boggy in the Dark Peak) We have had a couple of MR bods up here go down with Lymes and we are particularly watchful for the signs and symptoms.
    Have you tried Advantix on your dog, it is a repellent. Unlike most spot ons it repels and the ticks don't need to attach and feed before being poisoned. There are also natural repellents you could try Calendula Oil, you can use that one too, Flea or Die shampoo and Billy no mates herbal powder. All apart from the later can be purchased on our website www.bada-uk.org I have 5 working dogs so always picking ticks off them, even when you think you have checked everywhere you can still miss the blighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Casey View Post
    I know they where bad (Ticks) in Germany my son had a few but I never seem to get hem maybe Im just lucky or they dont like my blood
    Some people are total tick magnets, my husband being one of them! What ticks check of is 1: the amount of CO2 your emitting (sounds like an mot check..lol) 2: what your temperature is and 3:what level of pheromones you have...simples...

Tests initially negative and have not been back for this since. Been a bit of a walking medical case for a while now so this kind of got forgotten about until this thread came up.

Quote Originally Posted by saddie View Post
    Have you tried Advantix on your dog, it is a repellent. Unlike most spot ons it repels and the ticks don't need to attach and feed before being poisoned. There are also natural repellents you could try Calendula Oil, you can use that one too, Flea or Die shampoo and Billy no mates herbal powder. All apart from the later can be purchased on our website www.bada-uk.org I have 5 working dogs so always picking ticks off them, even when you think you have checked everywhere you can still miss the blighters.
    Nope, I get my spot on provided for me FOC from a local vet who sponsors our organisation. They supply us with wormer and innoculations too also FOC. Good job really as its a very costly 'hobby' we have.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by saddie View Post
    Some people are total tick magnets, my husband being one of them! What ticks check of is 1: the amount of CO2 your emitting (sounds like an mot check..lol) 2: what your temperature is and 3:what level of pheromones you have...simples...
    I smoke a lot so that may keep them away and most say I'm a cold blooded so and so and I dont seem to attract any women so the last one must be low so I must be on to a winner with not getting ticks
    Mind you I did go have a look at the link you put up as after reading the thread it has a lot of info on things I never really thought about.
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

I always carry a pen just in case....
    oh well try again

I ad one in Germany on a NATO jalant in the 70tis but I dont think I ad me boots off for two weeks,the thing was the size of a pea.
    Last edited by Tony1948; 23-02-2012 at 01:14 AM.