Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hudson bay/blanket pack/roll

Love the budget bushcraft videos too!

I have one question to you guys who use bedrolls : as Dave Canterbury states in the video, the tarp is rolled inside and not outside because it's more likely to be punctured or ripped than the blanket. But what if you don't use a blanket? I could wrap my stuff in my sleeping bag, but I fear it would be even more fragile than my tarp and I sure don't want holes in my sleeping bag...

I thought I could use a piece of rectangular leather that would cover the whole roll, but it finally makes no sense compared to my backpack. It would probably be almost as heavy as it and certainly not as comfortable...

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchBen View Post
    Love the budget bushcraft videos too!

I have one question to you guys who use bedrolls : as Dave Canterbury states in the video, the tarp is rolled inside and not outside because it's more likely to be punctured or ripped than the blanket. But what if you don't use a blanket? I could wrap my stuff in my sleeping bag, but I fear it would be even more fragile than my tarp and I sure don't want holes in my sleeping bag...

I thought I could use a piece of rectangular leather that would cover the whole roll, but it finally makes no sense compared to my backpack. It would probably be almost as heavy as it and certainly not as comfortable...

Any ideas?
    Hi FrenchBen ... How about a small cheap polytarp 6X3 feet , it would be more abrasion/snag resisistant than your bivi or sleeping bag and could double as a ground sheet to keep the rest of your kit dry and clean , if its rolled tight it wouldn't even rustle much hey ?

Cheers Whistle
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

Quote Originally Posted by Whistle View Post
    Hi FrenchBen ... How about a small cheap polytarp 6X3 feet , it would be more abrasion/snag resisistant than your bivi or sleeping bag and could double as a ground sheet to keep the rest of your kit dry and clean , if its rolled tight it wouldn't even rustle much hey ?

Cheers Whistle
    Sounds like the best solution to me. Well done Whistle, as usual, the simplest ideas are normally the most effective.

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

This guy is brilliant.
    Great tutorial on the Hudson Bay Pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF2v-b8cKLA&feature=plcp

Over the years I have developped a deep aversion against being wet and cold. Sleeping in a wool blanket is therefore out of the question, so is carrying a soggy pice of wool. Modern sleeping bags and bivvi bags where invented fro a reason...

And yes, tried wool blankets in the army as a recruit...the wettest, most miserable, cold existense I have ever experienced, and if I meet the bloody seargeant who ordered us to bring only wool blankets and leave the sleeping bags and tent tarps at the barrcacks again, there will be words....never,ever again...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

So you don't like them, then!

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Over the years I have developped a deep aversion against being wet and cold. Sleeping in a wool blanket is therefore out of the question, so is carrying a soggy pice of wool. Modern sleeping bags and bivvi bags where invented fro a reason...

And yes, tried wool blankets in the army as a recruit...the wettest, most miserable, cold existense I have ever experienced, and if I meet the bloody seargeant who ordered us to bring only wool blankets and leave the sleeping bags and tent tarps at the barrcacks again, there will be words....never,ever again...

Quote Originally Posted by Suba View Post
    So you don't like them, then!
    Ha ha, sorry for the negativity....I love wool, and wool blankets too....I just prefer the latter when at home, on the sofa vegetating in front of the TV with the wind and snow howling around the house corners....not out in the wet and muck.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum