Thread: Handy tip with Trangia type meth burners.

Trapper

Handy tip with Trangia type meth burners.

Maybe you all know this already, But a handy tip, If you add a half to full teaspoon of water to the burner after adding your fuel it reduces/stops the black sooting up of your pan. It coats if anything a yellowy colour which is easier to remove and does not blacken anything else in your pack, as its hydro carbons and not just carbon black. Mac

Nice one, wonder how that works? Think i will try that out,my camp kettle is almost completly black. Any idea of the ratio of water to meths?Could you pre-dose your fuel bottle?presumably the water content boils off as the fuel burns. The only down side i can see is that the flame tempreture must go down ( some high performance engines use water injection to reduce/stop pre-ignition ) so things would take longer to boil/cook. Paul

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulthefish2009 View Post
    Nice one, wonder how that works? Think i will try that out,my camp kettle is almost completly black. Any idea of the ratio of water to meths?Could you pre-dose your fuel bottle?presumably the water content boils off as the fuel burns. The only down side i can see is that the flame tempreture must go down ( some high performance engines use water injection to reduce/stop pre-ignition ) so things would take longer to boil/cook. Paul
    thats exactly what happens

Trapper
    Never pre dosed my fuel in a bottle. Just done a boil test with my trangia swedish mess kit. I filled top section of the mess kit (cup) to above 1st indentation on it,it just took 3:51 secs to rolling boil. I filled meth stove then dropped nto it one level teaspoon of water. like I said acheived rolling boil in under 4 mins, no soot either. Mac

PS put same amount into large billycan section of mess tins, it took around same time. Rolling boil at 3:47.
    Last edited by m0txr; 11-04-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks for the tip buddy.
    Dont forget to give me a shout when your free and we'll get together for a brew in the woods as your not too far away from me.

Ade