Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: advice first time wild camping

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouldsy View Post
    It's not like here were if you get lost anywhere in Ireland just shut your eye's spin round three times and start walking you are bound to come across a pub within about a mile.
    Thats it.. I am coming over..
    You guys do pasties over there..?

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    No only spud's and a lot of Guinness.
    Learn a little, Enjoy a lot.

http://buzzardbushcraft.blogspot.com/

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Yep, get an orange plastic bag, get some free hypothermia!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    Come over any time you like Jonny. I'll make you a special Pastie and I'll even throw in the odd origional quote as well.

As far at solo camping is concerned, think about your primary needs. Shelter, warmth, water and food. Prioritise each of these according to the season (eg. shelter is not so high a priority in Summer as it is in Winter) Plan your route and make sure some people know where you intend to go.

erhm why a orange bivibag?
    when your wildcamping to point is not to get caught, if you do want to get caught, buy a orange bivivag ><
    Travelling on foot without money
    www.justkai.com
    “The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai1980 View Post
    erhm why a orange bivibag?
    when your wildcamping to point is not to get caught, if you do want to get caught, buy a orange bivivag ><
    We don't have that problem here in Scotland :P our problem is with people who get stuck on the hills then either die from hypothermia. An orange Bivvibag will hopefully keep you warm plus the mountain rescue will find you... a green bivvibag just kind of blends in but a orange/yellow bivvi can be spotted by a helicopter.

As I remember the area where the chap will be walking is easy to get lost in...

As long as people remember that an Orange Bivi bag has an intended use. If you find yourself in an Emergency situation like getting injured or lost, then I'd rather have it with me than have it sitting at home. You may indeed be cold in a survival bag, but you may also freeze outside of one. It will at least keep the rain of you and, as we all know, wet and wind will chill you really quickly.
    As an aside, the Reporter Mouldsy was talking about that got cold at Backwoods Survival School hadn't eaten, hadn't drank much and was also using a Summer sleeping bag inside a plastic survival bag. I was there too and had a good chat with her about it the next day. Her coldness was due to a number of things (for example, a number of layers of tightly fitting clothing with no air space between them) and not just due to using a plastic survival bag.
    http://www.bushcraftni.com
    http://bushcraftni.blogspot.com
    Northern Ireland Bushcraft Association

I know the use in emergency but still, my bivibag is camo and i will be travelling all over the place, hypothermia is easy prevented with the proper gear.

But then again, he did stated he is a beginner so it might be smart yeah.
    Travelling on foot without money
    www.justkai.com
    “The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Celt_Ginger View Post
    As an aside, the Reporter Mouldsy was talking about that got cold at Backwoods Survival School hadn't eaten, hadn't drank much and was also using a Summer sleeping bag inside a plastic survival bag. I was there too and had a good chat with her about it the next day. Her coldness was due to a number of things (for example, a number of layers of tightly fitting clothing with no air space between them) and not just due to using a plastic survival bag.
    Aww yeah...if she was in a fat use state she would have been baltic.... I get cold hands and feet in the office when i'm like that that would be hell on exercise. Why wasn't she eating?...silly girl

I have never tried to sleep in my bivvi....might be worth an experiment whilst its still cold!