Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Survival tins

Survival tins

As title, who carries them and what have you in in them?

Here's mine;

Circa 40ft of 550 para with some electrical tape to waterproof the contents.

In the lid are four lots of four matches waterproofed with electrical tape.

Gerber stl2.5 knife, mag fire steel, mag-lite torch, small compass, loud erm....women's safety whistle, lighter and wire saw.

Some tinder/note paper, cotton wool, wet and dry and some water purifier tablets (20)

And it floats!!

So let's have a look at yours then.

Chris

Still building mine, but like the contents of yours.

Trapper
    Trying to remember what was in mine. Small knife, button compass, wire saw, stock cubes, signal mirror, fishing line with hooks and weights, condom, fire starter with small hacksaw blade, scalpel blade and small maglite I think. To be honest the idea of using any of that stuff if stuck behind enemy lines used to maje me break into a cold sweat. If I'd been stuck behind the lines I'd have wanted to be stranded with a group of Spec Forces thanks.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I must admit, I don't carry a survival tin. I would be very interested to find out, under what circumstances you could invisage using such a collection in the UK?

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Is the idea that you have a survival tin with you at all times, just in case?
    I carry stuff in the car, like a spade and bits of carpet in the winter, mebbe an extra blanket chucked in if it's cold and snowy. If I'm out walking or backpacking I've probably got enough gear to be ok, but I must admit if I'm running I should probably take more stuff. Usually it's just a waterproof top and a whistle, maybe a headtorch...

i've got a mobile phone. does that count?
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Quote Originally Posted by dave budd View Post
    i've got a mobile phone. does that count?
    Far more useful I would imagine Dave.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Only if you can get a signal. Not much good for catching a trout, or digging a snow hole.
    Or chopping wood...

Quote Originally Posted by Colliewobble View Post
    Only if you can get a signal. Not much good for catching a trout, or digging a snow hole.
    Or chopping wood...
    True, but why would you want to catch trout or chop wood? If you were fit enough to perform those tasks, wouldn't you be better off walking to the nearest road or to somewhere where you can get a signal?

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    True, but why would you want to catch trout or chop wood? If you were fit enough to perform those tasks, wouldn't you be better off walking to the nearest road or to somewhere where you can get a signal?

Martin
    It is regularly being impressed on outdoors folk that reliance on mobile phones is not the way forward, particularly in mountainous terrain. Battery life and signal are somewhat unreliable at best and contrary to popular belief triangulation of position isnt that accurate either.

There has been far too much reliance on the mobile phone (and certain other electrial devices) over the last 5 years leading to a marked increase in call outs for our SAR teams - nearly all of which are staffed entirely by volunteers.

A better substitute for a mobile phone would be torch and fresh batteries - being able to find your way off in the dark is preferable to spending a cold wet night on a moor or mountain, allowing the SAR teams a warm dry night in bed.

http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/ne...t-pack-a-torch

http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/ne...ack-be-careful

Rant over.

Rather than carry a 'survival' tin I have a possibles pouch which has a few bits and bobs in it just in case I become separated from my main rucksack. Theres a dynamo torch, a penknife, some puritabs, bit of first aid stuff, candles, lighter, flint and steel, different tinders,550 cord, potassium permanganate crystals, sugar, instant tea, orange and chocolate drinks wire saw (taught old habits - die hard).
    [