Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Adam's Dartmoor 3 Day Solo Expedition

Just returned from sunny Devon, had to cut the trip short due to equipment failure. I stopped around 6 km onto the moors for a spot of lunch, took the stove out of the pack, popped the canister into the bottom, screwed down the burner to pierce to can, then all of a sudden the seal gave out and proceeded to empty the can of all it's gas. Not having a spare seal and only having enough fuel for a brew in the hexystove, I made the though decision to call Ivan and head back into base camp. So 12 km later the same day across tussocks, marsh, rock and the odd patch of solid ground, I was bag in the woods drinking bitter and having a good ol' natter with Ivan and his girl. Looking back I think I made the right choice and not trying to rough it with 4 pop tarts and a couple litres of water. Ivan is the best host anyone could ask for and he's got a cracking piece bushcrafty heaven so it was more than good enough for me to come home with loads of photos and a few video entries. Had a top time of it.

I'll sort through the photos and try to compile the footage and get it (or a link to it) posted up here ASAP.

Thanks for the interest in this little trip of mine and being my first time on Dartmoor, it's always going to be in my memory.

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Looking forward to your piccys mate
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

looking forward to it to
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Here's the link for the first few, I'ts only a handful of the better pics of Ivan's site. Showing the lovely fresh stream running the length of the woods.

http://s1024.photobucket.com/albums/...20cut%20short/

more to follow of the moors

Ouch... 12Km of tussocks and marsh is hard work, bad luck mate...

Alchohol stove burners like Trangia, Tatonka etc are simple, light & effective on their own or as a back-up and might make a good addition to your kit if you don't have one at the moment.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Quote Originally Posted by paul standley View Post
    Ouch... 12Km of tussocks and marsh is hard work, bad luck mate...

Alchohol stove burners like Trangia, Tatonka etc are simple, light & effective on their own or as a back-up and might make a good addition to your kit if you don't have one at the moment.
    I have a pop can stove but found it inefficient, but a trangia could well be my answer. I'll look into stoves before I venture out next time

Here's a link for another 78 photos of Ivan's beautiful hideaway

http://s1024.photobucket.com/albums/...%20wonderland/

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Hey Adam, sorry you had to cut your expedition short mate, I know the feeling. If you fancy a return trip later in the year, I'd be up for a few days up on the moor. Maybe try a NBC Ten Tors Challenge. Anyone else interested?

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Hey Adam, sorry you had to cut your expedition short mate, I know the feeling. If you fancy a return trip later in the year, I'd be up for a few days up on the moor. Maybe try a NBC Ten Tors Challenge. Anyone else interested?

Martin
    I'll see what I can do, I'd be more than happy to get back on there. An advantage of going with someone who knows the moors, is I could stick more or less to the well worn tracks rather than tramping across that crazy paving like tussock and nearly breaking an ankle lol. The fuel cost is the biggest chunk for me £60 for a round trip and the hassle of a 4 hour each way drive. The little of the moor that I did see was well worth it though, and it opened my eyes to exactly what the terrain can be like down there. I was lucky to have the best weather for a bimble though. The moors took pity on my virgin self haha
    Last edited by Adam Savage; 27-03-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: typo rook-took

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Those tussocks can be a real killer mate, especially if you're on your own as they seem to go on for ever and make the going so slow you think you're not making any progress. Like you said, you got the best weather the moor can offer, not too hot and not blowing a gale with horizontal sleet/hail.

like I said, if anyone's interested in a couple of days up there later in the year, let me know and we'll get something organised.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.