Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Adam's Dartmoor 3 Day Solo Expedition

Adam's Dartmoor 3 Day Solo Expedition

As some of you already know, I am heading down to Dartmoor on the 25th of March.
    the plan is to stop the first night at a base camp, head out the next morning onto the moor for three days (two nights) then back to base camp for the last night, before heading back home.
    I will be making a video diary of my trip as well as taking plenty of stills. I will also be testing a few new items from my budgetcrafting kit, and letting you know how well they perform.
    The route is planned, the equipment is planned, the only thing I need to get is the grub lol. pack weight without water and food is 11kg so far and aiming for 17 tops with water and food.
    The videos will be uploaded to youtube and the photos will be uploaded to photobucket, the links for which will be placed in this thread as and when they are compiled.

Special thanks to Ash for founding the greatest bushcraft site in the country ( and possibly the world ), and to both Ash and Martin for giving helpful advice and providing inspiration
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Good luck mate and I hope the weather holds up for you. I will look forward to your inspirational video diary.
    Enjoy the trip
    Ian

Same here mate I hope it all goes well for you
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Thanks guys, I don't mind a little rough weather, it helps to test the gear, and me LOL

hoping you have a great trip buddy. (or butty as we say in Wales)
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

thanks Paul.
    I'll document as much/many, useful/interesting, info/events as I can for you guys.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Hey Adam, if you get weather like we've had up there this weekend, you'll need to pack the factor 15. It was beautiful and really warm when you were walking but got pretty damn chilly when the sun went down.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Hey Adam, if you get weather like we've had up there this weekend, you'll need to pack the factor 15. It was beautiful and really warm when you were walking but got pretty damn chilly when the sun went down.

Martin
    sounds great, but knowing my luck the heavens will open, the mist will descend and the rivers will swell, when I get there lol. I would be tempted to pack a little lighter but the better part of valour and all that. Either way I can't wait.

Adam

All the kit is packed, route cards printed out, map folded to correct region, got enough food to feed the 5000 (just because I had room) and spoken to the base camp host. ready to rock n roll, heading down tomorrow and should be at base for 16:00 ish, setting up hammy and tarp, getting a brew going as I knock up some grub then making the first entry of the video log before bedding down for the night. Will make further entries at breakfast, lunch and supper for the following three days, plus any notable sites on route, maybe get a little travel footage and plenty of photos to share upon my return.

Here's that food I will be taking with me.

First off is the all important brew supplies in the billy/mess kit. I have labelled the contents of the brew kit to show exactly what fits inside these billys

Next is the main food pack before packing into the stuff sack. I have labelled the less obvious items.

And finally the main food packed away. The bits out of the bag will either be in the top pocket of my rucksack or in my pockets.

Photos of my kit will be added when I return from the trip. Mainly because I have them all packed and don't want to risk taking anything out in case I forget any of it LOL. The food however will be (in part if not in whole) eaten, making photos a little difficult.