Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A rare foray into damascus

A rare foray into damascus

It's been a while since I worked in Damascus, I love the look of it but as any knifemaker knows it's a very challenging material to work.

I had this design on paper for some time itching to make the pattern in Damascus and a nicely figured hardwood. The blade profile and handle geometry is inspired by the woodlore, with a slightly more severe drop to the point making it almost more spearpoint. And flat ground. The handle also has a slightly more contoured shape for grip and a more downward curving back.

When a customer emailed me and asked for something similar to a woody, I had to make it!

Damascus supplied by damasteel (as with the majority of my steel) is 4.2mm stock, full flat ground with a 90 degree spine and hardened to ~57HRC in a coal forge and pizza oven tempered! Then acid etched in 30 baum ferric chloride to bring out the pattern of the Damascus.

flamed beech scales with a slight distal taper for comfort and control. Oiled finish and sanded back to 800g. 4.8mm mosaic pins turned 45 degrees against each other (because why not it's different!) and brass lined lanyard hole. 0.2mm black vulcanised fiber liners more for function than aesthetics.

This knife is a beast. Totally solid and fills the hand well, as it will be used as a kindling splitter and for battoning. But I daresay he can knock a nail in with it if he fancies!

"If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

really like that mate...

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    really like that mate...
    Thanks Matt hope the customer does too

I don't like damascus steel.

I sodding love it!

I have my own damascus knife, which was made for me by Hillbill (i'm sure Mark can confirm or deny it, but I think it was the first - commerical - damascus knife he made. With that in mind I'm hoping it'll be worth something some day - it'll make it into the Hillbill musuem and be labelled as his first. And it's mine!).

Damascus is just too gorgeous. I keep thinking of having a friction folder made in damascus...
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,

Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    I don't like damascus steel.

I sodding love it!

I have my own damascus knife, which was made for me by Hillbill (i'm sure Mark can confirm or deny it, but I think it was the first - commerical - damascus knife he made. With that in mind I'm hoping it'll be worth something some day - it'll make it into the Hillbill musuem and be labelled as his first. And it's mine!).

Damascus is just too gorgeous. I keep thinking of having a friction folder made in damascus...
    I love it too. I have a boker folder in Damascus that I really love, both sentimentally and because it's a nice knife! I might knock a friction folder up at some point. Offer a UK legal knife maybe!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Great looking knife. Love the look of Damascus steel too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beautiful work there Mick. It does look a beast!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    Truly beautiful
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson