Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metal detecting

Ive been metal detecting for around 15 years. Although of late Ive not had much chance to get out. I was seriously into the hobby at one time. researching old maps, getting permission from landowners and farmers to search their land etc. I had some realy succesfull searches. about 5 years ago I found a scattered roman Hoard made up of 100 Roman Silver Denari and 2 large Broken up Silver trumpet Brooches, I went through the whole Treaure Trove process. Split the sale with the landowner and now the finds are in the Nantwich museaum. I also found a lovely Gold Celtic 1/4 Stater dating from 8BC. It can be a very frustrating hopbby though, 9 time sout of 10 you can spend all day wandering a field only to come home with a pocket of old buttons and lead waste. Nothing more exciting though then getting a signal and digging out a coin or artefact that was last held hundreds if not thousands of years ago.

Here is an image of the Celtic Gold coin I found, Which was sold to a Collector

Name:  Celtic.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  18.9 KB
    Last edited by Ashmantle; 21-06-2016 at 09:56 AM.

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Wow, that is very cool.

Roman horde and golden coins.
    Awesome stuff

Found my first item of monetary value today...A Norwegian 5kr from 1998. Worth excactly...*drumroll* .... 5kr, or 0,42 pence, well at least right now, who knows how much it has risen towards the £ by the time you read this

Welcome to the dark side, Brits...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Hahahah ! It will be a much brighter "dark side" than the (imploding) EU side , ...

Anyways, well done in your detections!
    I got the feeling you're going to find a very cool ancient Viking treasure soon, that everyone here will be very jealous of ... me included.