Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to start backpacking

Alone in the Wilderness

I'm going to start backpacking

Hi I'm going to start backpacking and I was looking for some suggestions on what to buy and how much its going to cost.

I already have some stuff because I go night fishing

2 man dome tent
    10'c sleeping bag
    Foam mat
    Cheap pocket rocket
    500ml aluminium pot
    Spork
    Karrimor trail 35 backpack

What do I need to upgrade and what else do I need. Thanks
    Last edited by TomC103; 29-06-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    The answer is Tom it can be as costly or as cheap as you want to make it. Titanium cookware, ultralight Hokey-cokey £500+ tent, etc: etc: A quick look at some of the lightweight camping forums will give you an idea of what is available. From a purely personal point of view I would say if you are planning long distance treks over rough country I would say your number one priority and maybe high cost, will be good boots. Try them on wherever possible and you're looking for comfort and good support.
    I do a fair bit of long distance walking, albeit not in mountainous areas, but still rough ground and carrying a loaded Bergen will soon transfer any problems to your feet. As far as other kit is concerned obviously it depends on the areas you plan backpacking. You'll have to tailor your kit to the area, my cheap one man tent is fine in Southern England but not in the Grampians or York Moors in November. So I'll leave it to others to add advice, but if I may suggest? Good, possibly expensive boots as a starting point.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Ok thanks I'm in the south west and I will be mainly camping in wooded areas.

I'd recommend and good First Aid kit, open it and know what everything is for. And lots of socks Bridgedale are outstanding or the 1000 mile ones are great for the price. Happy hiking Tom
    -mick
    “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity...”
    ― John Muir

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    If you intend doing any longer trips, unless you go ultra-light you'll need a bigger backpack/Bergen. Others won't agree but I think a pack that is too big (volume wise..not fit) is better than a smaller pack with kit crammed in it or hanging off the outside like some Aussie Swagman... You probably know about pack size, but just in case... Make sure you get a decent pack that suits your size/stature. If you're 6' 2" and use a short size pack you'll end up with the waist/hip belt up too high and it won't support the pack weight properly. So try a few packs on and get one that rides so that the hip belt supports the weight and it doesn't dangle the weight from the shoulder straps otherwise you'll suffer after a few miles.

Decent boots and a good back pack and you've got a good basis to work out your other gear. A lot of that is a matter of choice. I use a little gas burner a lot and ally pots like you. After a while and a few treks when you see what works and what doesn't you can re-think what you really need. I try to make things dual purpose if I can. I read a post about pillows, I carry a cotton pillow slip, a cheap one from the supermarket and at night stuff my Snugpak Softie jacket in it..that's my pillow. The pillow case cut into strips will double up as an emergency bandage if necessary.
    Part of the fun of starting out doing longer backpacking trips is finding out what gear you really need and what is just ballast..

Like saxonaxe says, I'd try and find a larger pack. The PLCE long bergen are great. You can normally pick them up for around £20-£40 (depending on condition) at car boots, surplus stalls, etc. You can detach the rocket pouches (side pouches) and use just the main part, or get a yoke and use the two pouches as a small day pack. The long version is probably more comfortable than the short, if you are 5'10" +

Also a basic first aid kit, including duct tape. It's great for all sorts of jobs, including closure of larger wounds.

Good quality LED head torch too some of the ones from China are pretty good, if you get the right one.

To save buying a new/second sleeping bag, it's worth investing in a fleece liner, or even a good quality silk liner. This should let you use the same bag in slightly colder weather. If you plan on being out a lot in late autumn, winter, early spring, then it will be worth getting a warmer bag (somewhere around -15ºc extreme should be enough).

A 40L dry sack to keep your clothing and sleeping bag in, while inside your pack. Doesn't have to be really heavy material, as it will be protected by the pack, but it will make life more comfortable if you have to leave your pack in the rain while setting up your tent
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Alone in the Wilderness
    Ok thanks

Trapper
    when you say backpacking, are you going through and staying in wilderness areas? i assume so due to the tent, in which case i might suggest a chair and tarp, dont want to be locked up in your tent and forced to pack up in the rain, or unpack, a tarp would help there and dont take a lot of room/wieght.
    other thing to consider is food/water. will you be stopping by shops to re-supply? or are you going to carry all your food and water?? thats really important as it will dictate how much extra wieght you will be carrying and space you will need, and what types of food you can carry (if its a pro-longed trip) or it may necessitate some kind of water purification.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage View Post
    Also a basic first aid kit, including duct tape. It's great for all sorts of jobs, including closure of larger wounds.

Good quality LED head torch too some of the ones from China are pretty good, if you get the right one.

To save buying a new/second sleeping bag, it's worth investing in a fleece liner, or even a good quality silk liner. This should let you use the same bag in slightly colder weather. If you plan on being out a lot in late autumn, winter, early spring, then it will be worth getting a warmer bag (somewhere around -15ºc extreme should be enough).

A 40L dry sack to keep your clothing and sleeping bag in, while inside your pack. Doesn't have to be really heavy material, as it will be protected by the pack, but it will make life more comfortable if you have to leave your pack in the rain while setting up your tent
    agreed, FAK is extremely important, you havent mentioned lighting, which is veeery important. and, ill echo sappers advice of, MAP AND COMPASS

also, are you planning to have fires??
    Last edited by Yungen of Bury; 01-07-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yungen of Bury View Post
    ...you havent mentioned lighting, which is veeery important...
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage View Post
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Yungen of Bury View Post
    echo sappers advice of, MAP AND COMPASS
    and learn how to use them..unless you already do.....! Good quality lighting or something at least good enough to find your way to civilisation, spare batteries for same...you'd be amazed at the amount of call outs to our SAR services for people benighted...that means they forgot or didnt know it gets too dark to move safely at night....
    [