Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gifting knives - cutting the friendship

Gifting knives - cutting the friendship

A recent mention of a knife being gifted reminded me of something I heard (I think from Ray Mears): If someone gives you a knife you should give them something in return (a penny?) so that the knife doesn't cut the friendship. Is this a widely practised superstition / tradition?

I must say I like the idea if only for the fact that it shows how special a knife is to give someone or receive.

Hobo
    It should be a silver coin and seems to be observed in Sweden and Britain possibly Celtic in origin anyone know for sure?

not sure of the origin,,but i do know it applies to Thailand too,...

i,m not thai, i just picked up bits of the culture from a Muay Thai teacher (Thai Boxing)

I saw this on a ray mears thing, a knife maker made him a knife and gave it to him. In return he was given a silver coin. I like the idea of the coin so it doesnt sever friendship, makes sense to me.

I've never seen it apart from on the ray mears programme.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    It certainly is the case in Ireland, especially important if given by a family member

If someone ever gives me a knife... I think I'll hand them a spoon in return
    ... I simply am not there

We do it here too. We put a penny, it should be a shiny new one, in the box with the knife.

Shawn

We have a similar superstition here, had it for hundreds of years, and in the last couple of centuries the silver coin got replaced by any type of money (any shape, size, value, etc).
    Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative.
    H. G. Wells

It's funny, all the years I've given and received knives as gifts, I never heard of this tradition. I can think of at least two close friends that I've lost over the years with whom I've exchanged knives and not corresponding coins. Coincidence? Perhaps.

Oddly, the first time I heard of this tradition was when it was mentioned in the movie "The Edge" when Sir Anthony Hopkin's character is given a knife by Alec Baldwin's character and is cajoled to "Give 'im a coin," by the caretaker of the lodge where they are staying.

I think I'll observe it from now on, sounds like a good tradition.

I'm no longer friends with 2 close friends, they both got me knives for some birthdays a few years back. Same happened to one person who got a knife gift from me, he suddenly stopped calling, that's when i first heard of the coin exchange tradition for the first time, from an old uncle who's a hunter and has been a hunter for most of his life.
    Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative.
    H. G. Wells