Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stainless flask to boil water

stainless flask to boil water

I have a 20 +year old full stainless steel flask if i take the top off can I boil water with it placed in a open fire

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    As for the flasks boiling water.. I haven't tried that. I'm unsure if you would have to remove the inner flask liner which creates the vacuum & to check for insulation materials that could be toxic when heated or cause the flask to explode? I'm thinking along the lines of a similar item a Kelly Kettle the flask should be fine for boiling water in, any finish the flask might have will be probably be burnt of in the process (paint, rubber coating etc..) remember to remove the stopper avoid the flask exploding. I would be interested how you get on with this experiment.
    Regards
    David

If it is a double walled flask (i.e the old coleman or stanley etc ones) meaning a seperate innner and outer then you should not boil water in it as the heated air could cause it to explode, but if it is a single walled flask like a nalgene or klean kanteen etc you are safe.

Richard
    South Wales UK

Wanderer
    Thanks for posting that Richard, most interesting have never seen one before.
    Was that your review?

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Great review/link Richard. I've seen one of these Swiss Army stoves in use before. I have a Kelly Kettle with accessories I very rarely use it. I agree with TinkyPete's suggestion. If you any good John at metal work, you could dismantle the flask & make your own volcano stove. Keep us posted. I would be interested how you get on with this experiment.
    Regards
    David

If it's a single wall flask you can most certainly use it to boil with I've done it plenty of times. Those volcano stoves are great kit I've had one before they boil very fast
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

Using a flask to boil water, must be the most impractical option of them all. I can understand the need in an emergency situation. But else...why not use a kettle?
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Richard
    South Wales UK

Hi Richard, great video review, thanks. I'm tempted to get one. Can you answer a question? When the bottle is full and it's all closed up to transport does the cup keep the cork in place to prevent leakage?

Also I've been looking at a small kettle, this one is a bit more expensive but it's stainless steel with a copper coated bottom. Factor in it's cool looking as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2016-05-14 13:15:26.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	13666
    http://www.primuskongen.no/lamp/kettle-uk.asp
    Sent via wood pigeon from the Devon woods.