Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 99p Stores Bargain

A quid is just a slang word for a pound. 100 pence in a pound.

Easy enough, thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Not sure the rate but sounds about right, just never understood your currency, you have pounds, pence, quid, blah, etc. Pounds used to be about $2.22, but exchange rates and my not following it. Anyways, so pence is 100th of a pound? And what's quid, 10 pence or 10 pounds? What every happened to the metric system over there anyways? LOL
    Our decimal system came in about 1971. 100 pence = one pound (or quid/spondoolik/nicker) and metric started getting "ramped in" about the same time. However, being British means we don't like to be left out of the new system, but we can't scrap the old one! We tend to pick and choose whichever suits at the time. Millimetres are preferred for small items like fixings/tools (who wants spanners with fractions on ?), but we then abandon the kilometre in favour of the mile. Luckily, I wasn't born 'til 65 so I just dodged the old pounds/shillings/pence/sovreign/guinea etc...nightmare. We've mostly converted ourselves to metric temperature -except when the old system is more dramatic "it's 98 degrees f " sound hotter than 35 degrees c, but -7 sounds colder than 25 f.

It's reflects our position - halfway between America and Europe!
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Holy crap, you guys sound like us! We mix and match as we see fit also, personally I use millimeters and factions of an inch, inches and feet, yards and kilometers, liters and pounds. When something comes up like 20cm or 67kg, we have to calculate it out to find out what the measurement actually in in common known terms to be able to judge it easily. Lol

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I've just come back from a weekend walking on Dartmoor, training 14 and 15 years olds for Ten Tors (for those of you who don't know, just Google 'Ten Tors') which takes place in May. After day one, I proudly told them that they had walked 32 Km that day. Their reply was 'How many miles is that Sir?' Which just goes to show that we have a very long way to go before we are fully metricated.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    ... After day one, I proudly told them that they had walked 32 Km that day. Their reply was 'How many miles is that Sir?' Which just goes to show that we have a very long way to go before we are fully metricated.

Martin
    I'm assuming you sent them the long way round, so how many km's did you actually do Martin...?
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I've just come back from a weekend walking on Dartmoor, training 14 and 15 years olds for Ten Tors (for those of you who don't know, just Google 'Ten Tors') which takes place in May.

Martin

Aah the delights of the Ten Tors...I remember with fondness the cancelled 2007 event.

I was told " Go to Beardown Tor and collect some kids and walk them off ".."Roger that, how many ?"....."159"... "xxxx"
    [

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Holy crap, you guys sound like us! We mix and match as we see fit also, personally I use millimeters and factions of an inch, inches and feet, yards and kilometers, liters and pounds. When something comes up like 20cm or 67kg, we have to calculate it out to find out what the measurement actually in in common known terms to be able to judge it easily. Lol
    Don't worry Mike, when I'm king of the world I'll impose a totally inflexible Pol Pot style regime which will include the death sentence for those found using an old - no longer approved method of measurement. Then we'll all be singing from the same bloody hymn sheet I can tell you!
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Peasant
    I've got an old one somewhere that seems pretty "cheap" but it served me well on no end of night fishing trips, lasted all night in the summer so 6-8hrs I suppose. The only real problem with them is everything ends up smelling of paraffin and you end up smelling of paraffin and the smoke from it.

If you turn it up a bit, it's surprising how much heat they give off, especially on a cold, still night.

Just bought a telescopic fishing rod that packs down to 17 inches and extends to 6 feet. 99p. Seems sturdy enough. I'll let you know how it performs soon.
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!