Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie starting off kit

cheers all
    David based in Swansea so 20 min from the Gower 40 min from the Brecon beacon`s so got perfect areas to camp plus normally spend a mth down Cornwall in the summer

I'd certainly not spend the money on the machete - knife yes, earlier Mora was mentioned, so yep at £10 to £12 that's a good buy.

Re the hatchet/axe I recently read a poll of the "bushcraft item you wish you hadn't bothered to buy" on another forum and the majority who participated said axe because they had not made good enough use of it. I've no real opinion on it myself, I don't have one, but have used other folks' when in a group setting.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    You've knocked it off then. I've travelled around most of South Wales (love it) Gower had a few nights on the beach down there my friend Nicola & her son surf, the Brecon Beacons visited both military & civvie street, there's loads of opportunity down there for Bushcraft, have fun.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    cheers all
    David based in Swansea so 20 min from the Gower 40 min from the Brecon beacon`s so got perfect areas to camp plus normally spend a mth down Cornwall in the summer

Thanks for all the replies nice to have some encouragement another site I`m on I`ve been slated for being a car camper here was my reply

XXX to be honest you have put a right downer on what I am trying to do, I have permission to cook on open fire gather wood cut wood etc .
    There are no romantic notions what I want to do I am trying to broaden my experiences with a different type of camping you class me as a car camper where I class myself as some trying to learn new skills just because I am disabled does that mean I should not try a new experience with the safety net of having a camper van !
    Lots of people are blessed with good health I am not but if I end up in a wheel chair at least I have tried, I am going to have a go at semi rough camping and not romantic camping as you put it at least I am trying can I get good photography's of wild life on a camping field or better one`s in a field or a forest set up .
    Being disabled is something I would not wish on my worst enemy but I am trying to learn new things .
    If anyone thinks I am wrong for trying please say and I will leave the forum if you think I am breaking the ethos of bush craft by having to sleep in a van due to my condition I class my van and bed as tools to travel and sleep and as I said everything else I want to do in the woods .
    Last edited by diviy; 13-04-2016 at 01:51 AM.

We tend to work the other way round in this community, there is no place for that kind of behaviour and those that dish it out have their warning and are then removed.

Keep at it as there is no healer quite like the great outdoors.

Diviy, please don't be put off by what anyone says - what you are doing is for you and people do things in different ways - the important thing is that you enjoy what you are doing in the way you are doing it. "Those who judge so often do not pass judgment themselves".

Keep at it buddy

I've never used an axe much; I realised some years ago that a folding or fixed bow saw did all the cutting I need, you can always baton wood for kindling if needed.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

One with Nature
    hello Gerry,
    Please don't be put off. If you think about it some of the great Bushcrafters travel around in a vehicle, how many times have I watched the Bushtuckerman (Major Les Hiddens) Veteran travel around in his land-rover & sleep under a tarp.. or Ray Mears do similar? I totally agree with you on the experience & certainly don't let the tag "disability" drag you down or any cruel comments. I very rarely use an axe myself. I find all the kindling I need for a fire gather it up (wood scavenge hunt) find me a "doofer" (baton) to de-branch any large pieces of wood, use the branches as kindling, anything small can be broken in two by hand (snapped) or stepped upon, if it's wet on the outer it's dried by the fire or feather sticks made from it to expose the dry inner. I carry my Bahco Laplander or a cheap Lidl/Aldi folder if I require a saw. Ask in your local cafe or restaurants if they have any old but clean catering sized baked beans cans, these make brilliant billy cans, all you have to do if add a wire handle to suspend it over the fire or if you prefer a kettle pop into one of the camping stores, iron mongers, or bargain shops. I've seen these tin whistling kettles going for anything from a few pounds upwards. Carry on enjoying the experience & please don't leave the NBCUK forum..
    Regards
    David

The others have pretty much summed it up, though I will say that it's probably wiser to go with a folding saw instead of an axe. Swinging an axe torques the body and stretches the deltoids and latissimus dorsi (upper and lower back muscles, respectively). Saws are more efficient, often lighter, and arguably safer.

Heck, I think your commitment to go outdoors with your back condition is inspiring in itself, as most people who are physically disabled or impaired don't have the will to do so...their condition almost makes them depressed. I know a youtuber, Muskrat Jim, who lives in Canada and only has one functioning arm. He still managed to create fire by friction . If you focus all your energy and will to accomplish something, you will achieve it.

Those other dolts you mentioned aren't even worth the bother.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

One with Nature
    hello,
    Well said brother.

Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    The others have pretty much summed it up, though I will say that it's probably wiser to go with a folding saw instead of an axe. Swinging an axe torques the body and stretches the deltoids and latissimus dorsi (upper and lower back muscles, respectively). Saws are more efficient, often lighter, and arguably safer.
    Heck, I think your commitment to go outdoors with your back condition is inspiring in itself, as most people who are physically disabled or impaired don't have the will to do so...their condition almost makes them depressed. I know a youtuber, Muskrat Jim, who lives in Canada and only has one functioning arm. He still managed to create fire by friction . If you focus all your energy and will to accomplish something, you will achieve it.
    Those other dolts you mentioned aren't even worth the bother.