Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    I'm always getting emails from 38°
    Just unsubscribe.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2016-03-22 at 19.04.58.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	13577

To make sure you get no spam, this is another (non-commercail) manner of getting them out there, I think they do require quite a lot more signatures, but you get a response from the Government, and not spark the interest of a lobby group.

https://www.gov.uk/petition-government

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    Quote Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
    To make sure you get no spam, this is another (non-commercail) manner of getting them out there, I think they do require quite a lot more signatures, but you get a response from the Government, and not spark the interest of a lobby group.

https://www.gov.uk/petition-government
    Aye I happily sign those
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

Signed and passed on. The OS should stay in the public hands and not sold for a few quid to anyone who has the money.
    Sent via wood pigeon from the Devon woods.

Talking

Sorry mate, you really are!

Unfortunately it is mostly Google, Apple and Facebook that make the reality in which we all live right now. You have a bank card, purchases will be logged by your bank. You shop online? When was the last time you actually the read the Terms and Conditions you ticked yes to? You are on this website, what is this sites policy on data collection and usage? You are on Wordpress twice, you have your personal email on both blogs, you even mention spam on the Thinking Knave. You have an ISP, what is their data privacy policy? You will probably have a car/mortgage/stereo on some finance deal, did you opt out of the marketing emails? You know "If you don't want us to send your details then tick this box by not unticking the grey box with a X not placed in the blue square'

Are you with the TPS, the IPS and did you put your email on the electoral role? In a shop, do you have a loyalty card? When you click on some websites have you noticed how many adverts for cameras and outdoor stuff pop up? Go to a friends house and the side bar adverts will be about other things, that's because every little thing you look at on the internet is logged as an interest and the clever algorithms will then focus the adverts you see more precisely on the sidebars. Even more wonderful is to go to a friends house, log on to Yahoo with your Yahoo account, and watch the adverts change from darts to cameras! It's awe inspiring really!

Your personal reality is you are not a marketing opportunity, but sadly no-one has yet told the big boys that!

Nice Kestrel blog though! I like the pictures and no waffle!
    So, what information that you share with the likes of Google have a direct impact on your daily living. Sorry, I don't wear a tin foil hat and spend my evenings in the garden looking for UFO's or black helicopters... I did have £70 (£140 with boosts) from my Tesco Club Card last month...I'll have more of that thank you very much
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    So, what information that you share with the likes of Google have a direct impact on your daily living. Sorry, I don't wear a tin foil hat and spend my evenings in the garden looking for UFO's or black helicopters... I did have £70 (£140 with boosts) from my Tesco Club Card last month...I'll have more of that thank you very much
    So you see, we are just marketing opportunities. When the Clubcard vouchers arrive they are accompanied by various offers. You don't really think everyone gets the same offers do you? Each of those coupons is carefully targeted to get you to use them or try something new that is based upon your purchases over the previous quarter.

Google do the same, those offers that pop up, they aren't accidents you know, they are aimed at you depending upon your search history etc. Then when something catches your eye and you click on it, Google get a nth of a cent. Imagine how many times those ads are clicked on across the world every second. You can only imagine how much they earn! I haven't tried it, but if you come on this forum as a guest, do you get adverts and links? You do on most websites. Now if those adverts on here were for high end sports cars and oil paints how many people would click on them, none. But if those adverts are for Bushcraft courses and knife makers, well that's where the magic happens and the money rolls in.

You have sort implied that it's a negative, but it's really not. I have got a mortgage deal following an advert link, and also a fantastic bargain on a set of bike lights.

Sorry mate, you really are!
    Yes, I know they want to think of me like that, but I am sorry - I do not allow it (or, at least do my damndest to limit it - I concede it's impossible to avoid all marketing).
    For example (and I am just talking about myself here and have no agenda and no interest in converting people to thinking and doing what I do, and I feel no restrictions on my life because of my decisions)...

Unfortunately it is mostly Google, Apple and Facebook that make the reality in which we all live right now.
    And I have no account with any of those...

You have a bank card, purchases will be logged by your bank.
    True enough. But my bank does not send me any unsolicited mail or phone calls (they do not have my email address), so I don't care.

You shop online?
    Nope, I don't.

When was the last time you actually the read the Terms and Conditions yo ticked yes to?
    I make an extra special effort to track down the 'receive messages/notifications' on just about EVERYTHING I sign up for, whether in paper or online. And if I'm face-to-face with a person I make doubly sure by saying to them clearly and explicitly that I do not want any unsolicited messages/mails/calls etc.

You are on this website, what is this sites policy on data collection and usage?
    Yup, fair point - I have no idea. But I made sure that in my settings I turned off any notifications etc. I'm pleased and grateful to say I have never received any unrequested emails from NB. Well done them! It's appreciated.

You are on Wordpress twice, you have your personal email on both blogs, you even mention spam on the Thinking Knave.
    Yup, and again, I made sure that in my settings I turn off notifications and emails from Wordpress and, again, I am very pleased to say they have never sent me anything. Well done them as well.

You have an ISP, what is their data privacy polic
    Again, no idea. But I've never received any unwanted messages and emails. So they can have that info. Welcome to it.

You will probably have a car/mortgage/stereo on some finance deal
    Nope, I'm very pleased to say that I'm all paid up but even if I wasn't then...

...did you opt out of the marketing emails?
    As you can probably tell by my other responses above - YES, I MOST CERTAINLY DO!

You know "If you don't want us to send your details then tick this box by not unticking the grey box with a X not placed in the blue square'
    As I said above, I make double sure of looking for such clauses.

Are you with the TPS, the IPS and did you put your email on the electoral role?
    Nope, they don't need my email address. And before I pass over any personal info I ask why they want it and make it abundantly clear that they may not use it except with my permission.

In a shop, do you have a loyalty card?
    Nope.

When you click on some websites have you noticed how many adverts for cameras and outdoor stuff pop up?
    Yup, you're right there. I do clear history and cookies on my computer frequently but since I regularly look at the same things that means those same banners will still be there. That's one I can do little about. Except just ignore them. When I'm on the internet it's because I'm looking at something so that's where my eyes are. I'm seldom paying attention to adverts in banners. But I grant you that one. They are there and they are obviously tracking my interests. I find it easy to ignore them though.

Your personal reality is you are not a marketing opportunity, but sadly no-one has yet told the big boys that!
    Yup, and they can carry on wasting their time trying to target me if they want. I am not willing to roll over and let them do it. And I must be doing alright at it because I can't remember the last time I received a bit of junkmail through the letterbox, or an unwanted email, or a sales call. And it's not as though I'm missing out on anything, I don't feel as though I am spiting myself in my desire to avoid being marketed. So you (not YOU personally, but a hypothetical 'you') saved 10% on your insurance. Well done you. I'll happily pay that extra 10% for the peace of mind knowing that I am being left alone. That's a price that I, personally, am willing to pay. I'm happy and comfortable with that. It works fine for me. If you (again, that hypothetical 'you') want to save that 10% and be badgered then that's equally fine. For you. Like I said in the opening of this post - this is about me and what I do and I'm not trying to convert anyone or think that everyone should do as I do.
    As I said we all create our own reality. It's working for me.

Nice Kestrel blog though! I like the pictures and no waffle!
    Thanks.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Wait until 2018. That's when the EU General Data Protection Direction (GDPR) will become *law*. Many large organisations that collect data are well behind the curve for being ready and I suspect the majority of smaller organisations won't know what's going to hit them. Being law, the Information Commissioner's Office will be able to levy painful fines on any organisation that doesn't play by the rules. So if you notify them you don't want any marketing information and they ignore you, any subsequent complaints are likely to incur financial penalties for said organisations. Equally you will have the right to be forgotten and organisations will have to comply. The arguing continues as to whether your IP address will be considered "personal data" but that's the level of information that's being considered.

Remember, you don't need a google account for google to use your browsing data (assuming that's your search engine of choice). Ever wondered why Facebook keeps showing ads for things you may have been looking at? It's the cookies the browser leaves behind. Before the page loads, an electronic online bidding war takes place to see who gets to place the ad, based upon the cookies left on your PC - this has been going on for years now.

We're in the digital age so you're being tracked whether via your "signed up" email address or anonymously. Post 2018 you'll have more rights and a bigger say as to what companies can and cannot do with *your* information.

Me? I'm not as strict as Humakt online, but I'm jolly careful as to what I sign up for and who I give *my* information to, because it's mine!

Cheers,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

So you see, we are just marketing opportunities. When the Clubcard vouchers arrive they are accompanied by various offers. You don't really think everyone gets the same offers do you? Each of those coupons is carefully targeted to get you to use them or try something new that is based upon your purchases over the previous quarter.

Google do the same, those offers that pop up, they aren't accidents you know, they are aimed at you depending upon your search history etc. Then when something catches your eye and you click on it, Google get a nth of a cent. Imagine how many times those ads are clicked on across the world every second. You can only imagine how much they earn! I haven't tried it, but if you come on this forum as a guest, do you get adverts and links? You do on most websites. Now if those adverts on here were for high end sports cars and oil paints how many people would click on them, none. But if those adverts are for Bushcraft courses and knife makers, well that's where the magic happens and the money rolls in.

You have sort implied that it's a negative, but it's really not. I have got a mortgage deal following an advert link, and also a fantastic bargain on a set of bike lights.
    Yes we are, but I really don't care. My Tesco vouchers are geared around items I buy and give me discount, nowt wrong in that. Google knows my (home) location, I don't care as it often helps speed up searches et al.

Thankfully I'm mortgage free now

Back on track, I really do hope OS stays as it is.
    Richard
    South Wales UK