Thread: Walking with a dog

Walking with a dog

Whilst im over here in ireland I am thinking of walking a bit of the "wild atlantic way" from Galway to westport, planning to walk for 7-10 days and sleep out where ever I can. at the moment it looks like I might be doing it alone as I cant get commitment from anyone to go with me and when i have interest the timing doesnt suit. But wondering about bringing a dog with me as have a few and one a nice lab is a pet and would be company and protection if ever needed. The only thing is that if crossing land this may create a problem with farmers as often they are worried about dogs attacking sheep.

Has anyone experienced issues with hiking with a dog or would you recommend I leave her behind ?

Go for it. If you have concerns about walking with a dog in sheep/livestock, simply keep it on a lead at those times. I have a Beagle, and a whole selection of leads! Including a quite short town one and a 10 metre lunge rein for schooling horses. It's just a piece of 10m long 1/2" webbing with a clip on the end. Your dog still gets plenty of freedom, but it doesn't get shot by Farmer Palmer!

Have a great walk, and maybe read 500 Mile Walkies as inspiration, it's by Mark Wallington, he walked the South West Coast path from Minehead to Poole with a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
    Go for it. If you have concerns about walking with a dog in sheep/livestock, simply keep it on a lead at those times. I have a Beagle, and a whole selection of leads! Including a quite short town one and a 10 metre lunge rein for schooling horses. It's just a piece of 10m long 1/2" webbing with a clip on the end. Your dog still gets plenty of freedom, but it doesn't get shot by Farmer Palmer!

Have a great walk, and maybe read 500 Mile Walkies as inspiration, it's by Mark Wallington, he walked the South West Coast path from Minehead to Poole with a dog.
    Thanks CH its looking that way at the moment