Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mora Crook Knife

Mora Crook Knife

Does anyone have one, and how do you rate them?

Mora Crook Knife

I have one and with some slight modifications - it can be a quite capable knife. What mods I did to mine are to grind down and round off the sharp point. If you don't it will end up cutting into and digging into places you don't want it to. Also unlike the other Mora knives, the hook knife has a secondary bevel that you will need to grind off.
    This is a couple of before and after pics.

However if you can spend a little more money, I highly recommend Del at Pinewood Forge. www.pinewoodforge.com
    He makes really nice knives. I own two of his knives. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by NWAlabamaHiker; 01-01-2016 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I didn't know about the 2nd bevel, so I'll be sure to think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I didn't know about the 2nd bevel, so I'll be sure to think about that.
    You're welcome.
    Yeah it's really strange that the other Mora knives do not have this secondary bevel, only their crook/hook knives. I'm not sure why they thought it was a good idea, but you can grind it off and it make it a nice knife.

Is it hard to grind it off the curve at all? And what about grinding to a tip?

Mora Crook Knife

It's really just according to how comfortable you are with grinding blades in general. I have ground some blades in the past, but this was the first time I had tried to grind a hook knife blade. I'll admit that it was a little intimidating at first, but just go slow and take your time. I recommend grinding without gloves on so you can feel if the blade starts to get hot. I would grind a little bit and quench, then repeat.
    For the tip, it was actually pretty easy, but with the metal being thinner at the end, you do have to be extra careful to make sure you don't get the tip too hot, so don't apply too much pressure and quench freqently.
    Let us know if you get one and how the modding goes!

Will do. If I mod it then I'll let you know.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    BTW nephilim these are great for making feather sticks kindling for your fire.. just sayin'.
    Regards
    David

Good to know David. Thanks.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Evening & a Happy New Year. Aye they're great wee tools. I have a spare in my EDC kit bag that I use primarily for feather sticks fire lighting. I added a length of leather wrapped around the blade as a guard. I added the details to a NBCUK thread a while back & GAW a few lengths of the leather to a forum member too.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Good to know David. Thanks.
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 01-01-2016 at 06:00 PM.