Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new kit advice

I've not used one, but then. I'm a fat person so stability isn't too much of an issue. Lol.

Not too sure about many sleeping bags as i haven't tried any . I usually use a queen size 100% wool blanket, though that might not be what you want to start out with for your first time. Especially in january. I usually carry a second smaller wool blanket and stuff it with leaves for a bed. A reflective sleeping mat works well too.
    ''The man who goes afoot, prepared to camp anywhere and in any weather, is the most independent fellow on earth.'' - Horace Kephart

''The more you know, The less you have to carry. The less you know, the more you have to carry.'' -Mors Kochanski

The army Bergen pack is a bit like Marmite, you either love them or hate them; I love them and have used one for about twenty years...they just worked for me fine.

On its own its a good sized pack and if you need more space you can zip on the side pouches, remember your under no obligation to fill it all lol. Also you can zip the pouches onto a yoke and use them as a day pack

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-AR...EAAOSwqu9U9OjM

The DPM camo Bergens can be had for thirty quid, you pay a bit more for the plain green packs like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Br...AAAOSw~bFWQyve
    Richard
    South Wales UK

I've squeezed-by with my Snugpak Sleeper Lite mummy in cold weather down to -8 C/18 F, staying comfortable with a merino base layer upper, Austrian surplus trouser liners, thick wool socks, and my ushanka hat. I use a Thermarest Trail Pro womens' (R value is 4.8, 0.8 higher than the mens' which means more insulation) to sleep on in the winter (as well as the rest of the year, to be honest ) with a heavy duty space blanket groundsheet. In an enclosed tarp shelter, I've been fine.

Seeing as how a jump into winter camping may not be such a good idea, I would go for a Thermarest Z Lite SOL mat, which has 2.6 R value, which is good enough for 3 season use. A DD 3x3 will serve you well, I love mine to bits . As for a sleeping bag, I probably wouldn't go for a down model, but rather a synthetic one, only because down is rather expensive (unless you go for 550 fill power), and if it gets wet, unless the down is high quality (meaning expensive), it will lose much of its insulative qualities. I would recommend the Sleeper Lite for 3 season camping except for the hottest part of summer, else you'll be sleeping on it and not in it.

Hope this helps
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    The army Bergen pack is a bit like Marmite, you either love them or hate them; I love them and have used one for about twenty years...they just worked for me fine.

On its own its a good sized pack and if you need more space you can zip on the side pouches, remember your under no obligation to fill it all lol.
    That's annoying as I was watching a genuine one that was buy it now £25 quid in olive green! Should have grabbed it.

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post

Hope this helps
    Thanks for the advice

Hobo
    Got my pack well happy with it! An older model karrimor jaguar s85, it's in great condition and feels really sturdy. Read some good reviews on it and the extra space is nice just in case.

A very shrewd choice IMHO, glad you are happy with it. The extra 20 will give you extra flexibility and I think you will find the design more comfortable to carry than a military style bergan.
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    I think you will find the design more comfortable to carry than a military style bergan.
    I tried it on and although I haven't got much to compare it too it feels really comfy on my back.
    I got it for a bargain at £35 made a cheeky offer as it was £50 on ebay, condition is fantastic!
    Looking forward to trying it out in the new year.