Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tarp size query

My last few trips out have been with a 3x3 DD ultralight and I really like it. Time will tell how durable it is but for now my old DD tarp has been semi retired

Yeah, my next tarp purchase is going to be the ultralight, thanks for the positive report

+3 for the DD Superlight...on me wishlist
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I bought mine after seeing Scotts at a little meet. You really do question the durability when setting eyes on it but DD are not known for developing goods that are not up to the job.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    I bought mine after seeing Scotts at a little meet. You really do question the durability when setting eyes on it but DD are not known for developing goods that are not up to the job.
    That was one of my concerns, and I have got DD stuff, so how would you rate it against the normal 3 x 3 tarp, on a par ?

I am really taken by it. I can't fault the weight and packed size which is what I was after, and as a compromise the material is not likely to be as durable I suppose. That said I have not owned it or used it enough to make a valid viewpoint and only time will tell.

I always look at my kit as what it is - outdoor gear that will get used in some reasonably harsh environments. My other DD tarp has had a bit of abuse which includes being used over a fire and has the scars to prove it, which is something I shall not be doing with the new lightweight one. It will get used in the same manner in every other way though and I am interested to see just how it fairs.

Thanks for the info

After this trip, that DD 4,5x3 is always going to have special place in my heart. I lsept right trough a polar depression inside it in my hammock, while 2-3 feet of snow fell, and I woke up to gale force winds out on the lake...while I was relatively sheltered 20-30 mters into the treeline.

I was completely ignorant of what was going on around me. An what happened was that the when the snow fell, it lsided off the sides, creating snow walls on each side, that helped shelter me from the strong winds that followed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	860937_318845048238860_1092706572_o.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	13419
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 12-08-2015 at 12:11 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Great shot, lucky you had the ends down / enclosed