Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bushcrafter

Smile New Bushcrafter

Hello Everybody,

I'm new to the site, came across it after looking at some of the tutorial videos on youtube. Never really done any proper Bushcrafting before but decided I want to give it a bash.

I went out for a bit of a scout the other day and I think I've found a suitable site for spending a night outdoors. Lovely bit of woodland, hundred of deer tracks and poo everywhere, even saw a deer in the middle of the day after about an hour of being there!

Just after a bit of advice on sleeping arrangements. I've got a little tent i could use but the area where i'm thinking of camping is really rough ground so don't know if it would be possible to setup. Got a tarp i can use so would a tarp and hammock setup work or be too cold this time of year? or maybe Bivi and tarp?? what does everybody think?

thanks in advance

Hi ether and welcome!

I use both tent or hammock. If you know you're heading towards a forest, then hammock and tarp's the way to go (see advice on hammock cocoon from Ashley). Otherwise, tent and a quality mat are the dog's (look at the exped mats, but they're not cheap). As for temperature, get your woolies on. It's never too cold if you get the planning right. There's plenty of advice on the forum and I'm sure all the other guys will be delighted to help you out with their own advice and experience. Don't forget, it's all about enjoying the experience, not punishing yourself - there's plenty of survival blogs out there for that.

Steve
    Last edited by Fletching; 08-03-2011 at 09:30 PM.

definitely prefer the idea of a hammock but wasn't sure if it was more of a summer thing, also a bit wary as i've never set one up before and had visions of it falling down in the middle of the night or sagging so that i was ended up laying on the floor

just having a look at some of the advice on hammocks now, thanks for the heads up

Ive got a couple of hammocks but i prefer the ground tbh, as i find its better for watching wildlife, im off out this weekend and will probably go for a snugpack stratosphere hooped bivvy bag,exped down mat, alpkit down bag with snug pack thermalon liner and a light weight tarp from bison bushcraft , snug as a bug in a rug plus it all fits in a 35ltr sabre with everything else i need, well apart from the rum ration packing light as ive got quite a yomp to the site.back to hammocks Snugpack do a hammock underblanket which is great for stopping the hammock cold arse syndrome too
    "Tracking is the road - bushcraft is the vehicle - Nature and wildlife is the destination."
    http://www.woodlife.co.uk/woodlife-trails/

have an enjoyable time etherlike most things preperation is the key and youll learn alot about which kit you will need or dont need the second time you are out,as steve said as youre sleeping in the woods,youre best off with a tarp and hammock combo, youll be warm from youre fire and a decent set of stuff to wear,talk to martin or ashley because they have camped on dartmoor in - temps.Also being youre first time make sure you tell or give co ords on a map to someone so if anything did happen youre not on youre own,other than that take enough food and water and light the fire or stove and enjoy youreself
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

Welcome. Tarp, bivvy & thermals for me :-) Enjoy.

Hey bud,

I'd also suggest the tarp and hammock, and not forgetting you'll need an insulation layer in a hammock too at all times of year, a good roll mat would be ideal as it also gives you the option of the ground if all goes pear shaped.

Regards, Matt.
    It's not arson if it's your own stuff

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    I'm with Matt on this one, Hammock and Tarp with a roll mat as the lower insulation, if you find you don't like it then you can setup on the ground as a simple bivi set up.

Ashley has got some nice simple tutorials on setting up hammock and tarps on the main website.

If your unsure of the whole hammock thing, then get a simple, relatively cheap hammock to begin with (make sure it is double layered though - makes life a little easier) DD hammocks do the scout and I think tenth wonder on e-bay do a similar product (the compact I think). Then If you do like it either look at getting a new super beast - DD frontline, or mod you basic one to suit your needs - Hammock forums will help with this as Matt will tell you.

Remember though, the sleeping out is just a small part of bushcraft - I don't get out half as much as I would like over night, but I do enjoy a few hours here and there doing a little 'craft' - Cordage, fire lighting by various methods, shelter building, carving/whittling. There is lots you can do without being out all night. So make the most of a good spot when you can (by the sounds of it deer spotting and tracking shouldn't be a problem)

Regards Mike
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Welcome to the forum Ether, thats a good point about not needing to sleep out, there are loads of good spots near you where you can spend time practicing bushcraft. I quite often take my son into the New Forest just for the day, obviously campfires are a no no, but we practice shelter building, foraging, primitive trapping, wood carving etc. You have a great resource right on your doorstep

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Hi Ether, a very warm welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum. Whatever you decide for your first outing, make sure you enjoy it and tell us all about it.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.