Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Bushcrafter

wow thanks for all the input guys, very helpful to have some input

Just got some basic kit eg mora clipper, firesteel and some paracord so going out this weekend to have a bit of a trial run. want to master the basic knots for setting up a tarp and hammock and make some tent pegs so i'll be more prepared when i do spend my first night out. seen the articles on hammocks and definitely think they're the way forward! got my eye on the DD travel hammock

Hi there from me to
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

I'm a little late as usual, but Hi there. How did the practice go or the night out (if you've managed to do it) with whichever choice of accommodation you made?
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

my practice day

hello again everybody, i thought i would share some pictures that i took on recent day out to practice some bushcraft, picture were taken on my phone so aren't great quality. I'm still new to this so was very much experimenting with putting up tarp, tying knots, making tent pegs etc so here goes

https://picasaweb.google.com/1077617...r-jPariYmJkgE#

great pics. I use the same tarp, does me fine and cheap enough to replace when it eventually tears. Plenty of deer around as you say

thanks crazysaint222, do you find your tarp is fully waterproof for spending nights out?

Yeah lots of deer around its a really nice area but dont think i will go back as i think it may be private land. This is my major problem at the moment, just finding somewhere suitable to be able to camp out

I have found all the ones I have had so far waterproof, but being made in china (I think) the quality control can be hit and miss, the odd batch or two that come over could leak. Generally poly tarps won't leak until you can see daylight clearly through them.

It is a hassle finding places to go, especially in the tourist rich areas such as bournemouth, as all the landowners think you're only there to avoid paying for a campsite. It's worth looking at an OS map of your area, looking for the name of the farm nearest the wooded area you want to use, and writing them a polite letter asking if you could use a small part of their woods to practice shelter building with the possibility of over night camps. don't mention fires at first as they won't like that, leave it a good few weeks or a couple months if you can before asking, and always stick to any conditions they make.

hope that helps a little

Adam

hammocks keep u of the rough ground and are really nice for a good night sleep
    Last edited by LandRoverMatt; 13-08-2011 at 06:44 AM.