Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelly kettles

Kelly kettles

Wondering who uses them and how ya like them? I know bulky kit and all I've always wanted one. Just landed a basecamp aluminum model a couple days ago don't have yet hoping by next week. If ya got pics in use feel free to post
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

I don't know if I'd want to carry one but we use one every day when we're working in the Woods and its saved us a lot of money
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Never used a kelly kettle but I do have one of these which is brilliant and so efficient http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/RD102.html

i've been using a Kelly/Ghilli/storm kettle every day for the last 6 years or so

I wouldn't carry one due to the bulk and they are pretty limited to boiling water, so great f teas, washing up, etc (I know you can get pot stands for them, but a fire in the base and a couple of bars to raise the pot is as close as I get!). They are fast and efficient boilers though and will burn anything that you can set fire to. I have even run one with a meths burner in the base when I had no kindling dry (then I used a small can full of old motor oil and a wick. It works but the soot is unbelievable!).

I have 3 currently.

My first (and now least used) is the classic aluminium kelly kettle with cork bung, 1.5L. It is still going well after 6+ years. The cork dries out if not used for long periods and drops into the hole. The base has been trodden on more than a few times, but is easy enough to bash back into shape.

My everyday kettle now is a 1.5L Ghilli Kettle. It is the same as the kelly (but more rounded in shape and anodised colour) but the key feature that it has is a whistle. The whistle replaces the cork that Kelly uses, and fits over the spout not in it. That means that if you drop it in the dirt, then you don't get it in your kettle; you boil it with the 'stopper' on so is more efficient due to higher internal pressure; and of course it whistles when you are boiling. I use this kettle for boiling upto 4 cups of tea/coffee when in the workshop on my own or teaching, so gets fired up several times a day pretty much every day of the week. I've been using his one for about 3 years now and I prefer it to the kelly, the base has been trodden on a couple of time but is easily fixed.

My third kettle is a biggy: a 5L storm kettle. It's stainless steel, has a proper teapot spout and separate filling point, but most importantly it has an intergral base/windshield. The outer skirt of the kettle extends an extra couple of inches and has holes punched out all around the circumference. So no base to tread on and whatever the wind is doing, it will draw through very well. The only down side is that as you don't have a base to light the fire in, the fire is on the ground; not a problem if you have a fire site anyway or a baking tray to put it on though. I love it, especially if I need lots of hot water: it'll do 5L in under 10 minutes! Due to the extra girth internally, it does prefer longer sticks but will still work on a small pile too.
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

waiting for the Kelly to boil

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kelly kettle.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	13302
    Only my dog can judge me

Thanks everyone
    Hey Dave Budd that's what I was hoping to that it would work with my trangia(svea) alchy from my Swedish mess kit that's cool thanks for the detailed info. Love some pics of you collection especially the last one
    Cheers
    Jim

What kinda dog is that happybozo? Cool pup
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:

Blue Heeler / Australian Cattle Dog

i'll try and remember to get a pick of them all together tomorrow. In the meantime, here is a thread I wrote about the big one just after I got it (sorry, it's on bcuk!)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/sho...276&highlight=
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Damn that's an impressive piece Dave.

" Nessmuk " says:

Quote Originally Posted by MongooseDownUnder View Post
    Blue Heeler / Australian Cattle Dog
    Certainly is

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9109a.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	13312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9390a.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	13313
    Only my dog can judge me